STAA: Publicity Machine!

poetic_justice_

This appears to be the trophy that is the most problematic for this game. As I wrote in a previous thread, it seemed like my Move motion tracking dropped from 85% accuracy (in all the other mini games) to 10% accuracy once I began attempting the commercials. It was extremely frustrating, and there is no tutorial or explanation in-game for how to improve. After hours of trial and error, I want to pass on three tips to anyone else going for this trophy. Some people may consider these obvious, so please don't flame the thread if you consider this basic information.

1. MATCH THE SPEED OF THE MOVING STAR. This is the most important tip! Pay attention to the SPEED of the motion stars themselves, NOT the COLOR of the lines! Some of the yellow arrow lines are mislabeled and can deceive you. They should be red (fast) or blue (slow), but they are not. Regardless, if you can move your hands at the same speed as the moving star, you will have a much higher rate of success.

2. KEEP IT SMOOTH; maintain your rate of motion at a consistent speed. That seems to help the tracking. I know some combos are not strung together in a logical progression and feel awkward (the F-3000 phone ad in particular), but if you can prevent jerky starts and stops, TV Superstars is much more forgiving. I had some redline moves that were too slow, and the game still rated them as Hot. I had several yellow moves I started extremely late, but the game labeled them as Hot too. All I did was smooth out my starts and stops. Also, remember to breathe during the complicated sections; sounds odd, but it will help your calmness and indirectly, your smoothness.

3. COMPLETELY FOLLOW THROUGH! Continue all your smooth motions unto completion, when the star has totally finished passing through the tip of the arrow on the screen (and maybe even a little beyond, if you can). If you have to stand on your tiptoes just to squeeze out an extra couple inches of movement, or take a physical step backwards to keep your Move controller going at the same rate as the moving star, do it! You are playing by the game's rules, not yours, and there is no way to change that. When in doubt, keep moving till your rating appears on the screen.

Before I began doing these three things, the commercials were enfuriating. So many times I would think I had finished a motion, and the game would rate it Ouch, Cool, Too Slow, or Too Fast. However, once I started focusing on matching speed, smoothness and followthrough, the game rated my actions Hot over 50% more often. I was able to finish the more difficult commercials and obtain my platinum. Hopefully it will work for you also as you attempt to earn a Great Score (7000 points or more) on all eight commercials.

By the way, the Aspero car commercial is a blast! And the director's comments on the Pretention perfume commercial are hilarious. "You're a spaceman in a bubble. You spin but you can't get out... but now you can! This is my fantasy!" When the stress of dealing with random movement ratings goes down, the commercials are much more enjoyable. :applause:

• 2 years later...

In case you are a visual person, while following the stars, you need to keep a trail of sparkly stars. The longer the trail seems to be the better you score. If you get no sparkly stars, you will end up with ouch (don't even move the controller to see this). If you get a lot of sparkly stars, you will end with hot. We discovered this in Frockstar but it carries over to STAA. Our trophy popped with one score under 7000 (6859) and several well over 7000 (toilet sherif 9643, pong 8163, foaming thunder 7523, smile 11985, kickshot 7462, f one 7720, pretention 11076). We also had to add more light to the room and only use the pink controller (the other one consistently scored much lower). Another secret is to get more hots early as the score seems to multiply and don't miss the t button spots as some of those are worth several hundred points apiece.