DIY RAW: Dynamo!

poetic_justice_

I struggled to get the 7000 points needed for the four apartments in DIY RAW because the game does not really explain how the scoring and timing work. This post is so others don’t struggle through this trial-and-error like I did.

The Trophy Guide on this forums mentions the advantage of playing as a team using two Move controllers simultaneously. However, there is a disadvantage to this in DIY RAW; the computer shortens your time on a number of activities if you use both Move controllers simultaneously. I obtained tree of the four DIY RAW: Dynamo trophies playing a single avatar, and only one using a two-figure team. My conclusion is that it is actually more advantageous to play DIY RAW as a single avatar than as a two-avatar team.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN DIY RAW: Set the four avatars on four different couches in the green room, then select DIY RAW. This arrangement gives you a 100% chance to play each of the four apartments every time. If you are like me, you will need multiple exposures to each apartment to get a feel for it. Here are tips for each activity.

HAMMERING PLASTER: Short, quick motions are your friend. This is one activity where I would say the two-avatar team has a clear advantage. The best score I ever got on this activity was 1,200 points, and that was with two avatars. The best I did on single avatar was 860 points. Be encouraged though; I averaged 680-720 points on this event and still finished three apartments with scores of 7,100 to 7,500.

For some reason, it is very hard to hit the plaster on the right side of the screen. The hammers refuses to make contact. Be ready to recalibrate your controller. A lot.

PAINTING WALLS: I prefer one avatar to two here because the computer gives players more time to finish painting. Unless you are ambidextrous and/or have above-average dual eye-hand coordination (I don’t), using one avatar may be to your advantage. While two rollers is faster for slopping a base coat of paint on the walls, precise lines require most players to use only their dominant hand. Having more time to concentrate on tracing the detailed figures or designs on the wall was a plus.

SAWING BOARDS: With your arm relaxed, make a short, quick back-and-forth motion from waist-height to your shoulder. On single avatar mode, I can make all eight cuts in roughly 50% of the event time, which gives a significant boost to my score. The short, quick motions work better than the more realistic long, sawing strokes. Yes, the computer encourages you to make “nice, long strokes.” Ignore her.

STENCILING TILES: Don’t be flusterd by the countdown timer. Just spray paint the outline of the figure if it’s a large stencil, then go back and fill it in.

SETTING TILES: There are multiple tile stencil patterns for each kitchen (three designs per kitchen, I believe). I found tilesetting to be the make-it-or-break-it activity that got me over the 7000 point hump more than any other event. If you are quick and accurate, you can gain between 1200-1700 points for this one activity!

When in doubt, just put all the tiles on the wall! You get points even if the tiles are in the wrong position. After some practice, you’ll begin to recognize the patterns, and make fewer mistakes.

PLACING FURNITURE: You can place any of the scrolling line-up items in the apartment. However, matching items earn you 200 points each, while non-matching items only earn you 100 points apiece. I am not 100% certain, but I believe you receive a bonus if you have place all the matching items of the apartment.

IMPORTANT! You can switch out items that you have already placed in the apartment. I did this with a sofa by accident, and it was just enough to boost me over the 7000 point mark. You have to be quick, but it can be done. I wish I would have known this sooner; I ended one game with 6997 points – three points shy of the trophy! Hopefully you don’t have to learn this the hard way.

When in doubt, just put anything into the apartment. Sometimes the computer just gives you a raw deal and refuses to generate any matching furniture. Again, just like with tilesetting, you get points even if the items do not match. However, iif you put up nothing, you will receive no points.

WHO GETS WHAT IN PLACING FURNITURE

ROCK FAMILY: Anything with flames or skulls. Skull pedestal, electric guitar, flame couch, two flame lamps, black stereo with large speakers, portrait of man playing guitar (I forgot which clock is theirs)

MODERN COUPLE: Grey or white items. Grey couch, two white rectangular lamps, flat screen TV, portrait of boat, grey two-hand clock.

NEW AGE COUPLE: Anything purple. Purple crystal on stand, purple couch with throw, two weird grey-blue candle lamps, flower power iMac on table, purple/white portrait of unicorn, grey sundial clock.

GRANDMA MITCHELL: Brown items. Reddish brown couch, two tan Victorian lamps, large vase, wooden boxed TV, portrait of cat, wooden pendulum clock. Anything that looks like the property of a senior citizen is hers.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7000 points is childs play... getting the last scene to appear is the pain in getting that silver trophy. Played well over 10 games now and never seen the grandma... fuuuu

You can see who's apartment you are fixing for a very brief time in a videoclip before the games start. IIRC it's while you are outside the house. Hope this helps you to not needing to complete the mini-games to see if grandma appears or not.

• 1 year later...

We nearly gave up on this section before we figured it out. Single player:

hammering section, hold move controller sideways ( imagine you are hammering the TV) hit as fast as you can dont be careful tearing up the wall. We hit all windows, pipes and electrical cords and it didn't mess us up. You should average 700+ points per wall. (If you are playing as 4 characters at once, take breaks so you don't loose your steam during the second wall.

Painting section, you can see the walls next to you for color ideas, we also snapped some cell pics of her showing the design to remind us, try to blend your wall so the colors match hers on the edges, ths helps prevent you doing things backwards and getting less points.

Sawing section, we had the best luck with standing and bending a bit (like the wood is in front of you). Recalibrate as needed if the left side won't cut.

Spray paint - we did best with one person painting while the other looked at the design, we tried to take a pic of the final then one person worked the puzzle while the other held the pic up.

Decor - common sense mostly, if you don't skip the very beginning, she shows you the final idea on decor