When should we have the THL  

123 members have voted

1. 1. When should we have the THL

• Yes, we should have it in the summer
    • No, we should have it in the winter
    • No, we should have it in the spring
    • No, we should have it in the fall
    • No, (other—please explain)

Since THL has been limited to one per year, I would like to make a suggestion. I think THL would be best done during the summer months. And we don't even have to have it limited to two months anymore (why not three?).

When we had THL during the summer, I could get 250 trophies. But during the time when work is hectic, and school is in session, my best is between 70-100. And it's a shame as well, since I always feel like I let my team down if it's during some other timeframe.

But I would like some other opinions, as well.

Note: I did not post this in the Feedback forum because I figured it would serve a better purpose here with everyone involved being able to chime in, but if it needs to be moved, I'm okay with it. (No idea if this would even count as an idea for the site).

So to summarize...

The main point: Have THL during summer

Secondary point: Possibly extend to three months

What do you all think?

Edit: For clarification...

Summer is around the months of June, July, & August

Winter is around the months of December, January, & February

Spring is around the months of March, April, & May

Fall is around the months of September, October, & November

Edited by HaoleDave

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think having it in the summer is a great idea (if it isn't always being considered) for the reasons you said. It would be less of a distraction for those who are still in school and there's more competition IMO. Great idea.

Not sure about it being three months though. People would be burned out pretty fast especially the directors.

I think having it in the summer is a great idea (if it isn't always being considered) for the reasons you said. It would be less of a distraction for those who are still in school and there's more competition IMO. Great idea.

Not sure about it being three months though. People would be burned out pretty fast especially the directors.

Great point about the burning out thing... I would be inclined to agree that three months just may be too much. Lol.

But yes, it would greatly benefit anyone involved with the education system: students, teachers, professors, administrators, etc.

I still feel twice a year would be better (January-March and July-September) but if we have to have it once a year then the summer is the best time for it. I still feel once a year was a knee jerk reaction to a number of issues and hope in time it is revised.

However as we are currently at one THL a year, I hope the alternate events the ED's have talked about are still team based, as a gap of a year between THL's might prove difficult in keeping teams together (I have been with 2 of my team since THL 2!!)

I agree on having it in the summer. The rest of the year I'm in university or working nonstop, giving me less time to game.

If it's in the summer, it will be much easier to get trophies and the playing field will be more fair since majority of people will have more free time then.

THL won't be limited to one per year, everybody I've talked to including staff have said that's absurd. But sure, summer sounds just lovely.

AlphaCookie said in the update, "We're also dropping THL to 1 season per year to reduce stress and fatigue, and to focus on other large scale site events. You can expect to hear more about those large scale events, and THL 8 in the future."

I don't think staff has any input in what the EDs decide.

I think twice a year is good- the normal 2 month period is great. No playoffs.

In my opinion, it should be anytime but the summer. It sucks spending the whole summer playing crappy games.

Word! That´s exactly how I feel...

And it makes it a bit more even for me.. =)

I can play about 3-4 hours weekdays,

and a few more in the weekends..

Even though I no longer participate in THL since season 3 and 4 due to having different focuses and goals in trophy hunting now since returning, I still figured I'd vote anyways.

Regardless, I do feel summer would be the best choice, especially for those that have school/college. It just makes sense. So my vote went for summer.

I realize this was an incredibly awesome idea. At least this gives a voice for when the players want a THL, rather than an arbitrary date! :)

I think twice a year is good- the normal 2 month period is great. No playoffs.

In my opinion, it should be anytime but the summer. It sucks spending the whole summer playing crappy games.

Since they removed MVP and best team awards, you could play just awesome games. If you have the third award as a goal, you don't have to play kiddie games all summer long. :)

Twice a year would be nice (in summer/winter to provide a good amount of time in between each one.

And I agree. I think maybe the two months would be better. At least it wouldn't take up the entire summer, which is nice.

THL won't be limited to one per year, everybody I've talked to including staff have said that's absurd. But sure, summer sounds just lovely.

Right well up to now, no staff members have disagreed with the way THL is heading. So unless they want to speak up about it, then we don't know what they find wrong.

On the topic of the future for THL, we're moving away from the most trophies as possible and want to bring in different awards, that every one can have a pop at. So what would you like to see, have you enjoyed the bingo idea from this season. Maybe different team awards so get 20 plats as a team. Or more awards that include everyone so the plat award from THL 4. Any ideas are welcome.

We also have no plans to reconsider the one THL a year plan. We could look at that in the distant future but who knows.

I'd probably prefer autumn/winter THL when the weather isn't so great and I'm not under pressure to be doing outside stuff with the wife and kids.

The Summer months suit singletons and teens/college peeps IMO who can earn more trophies and play more games as they can pretty much play all day and night but as the 1-2-3 Gamer has mooted that awards might not specifically be based on the amount of trophies earned then the Summer may be OK for me.

I'd still have more time to devote to gaming in the autumn/winter though:rolleyes:

Right well up to now, no staff members have disagreed with the way THL is heading. So unless they want to speak up about it, then we don't know what they find wrong.

On the topic of the future for THL, we're moving away from the most trophies as possible and want to bring in different awards, that every one can have a pop at. So what would you like to see, have you enjoyed the bingo idea from this season. Maybe different team awards so get 20 plats as a team. Or more awards that include everyone so the plat award from THL 4. Any ideas are welcome.

We also have no plans to reconsider the one THL a year plan. We could look at that in the distant future but who knows.

Not my fault if they haven't said anything about it, I can't make em nut up. No point in discussing anything anyways, you guys have clearly already made up your minds. Make a poll regarding how many THLs a year there should be, I guarantee very few people vote 1.

If there's only going to be one THL a year, I would prefer to see it held in spring. Not as long to wait until the next one plus it's better than the summer months for me.

One thing I am wondering is whether it will still be competitive in future in some way. I would prefer it if it was as to me having teams competing for the win is better than turning THL into something where everyone's a winner coming away with all site awards at the end of it.

Just to add, I too would prefer to see 2 THLs a year rather than just 1.

Edited by xxRC85xx

What was the award from THL 4. I wasn't paying attention to site competitions back then :p

So here's the thing, THL is in a transitional period at this point. I know people here are very passionate about THL and enjoy it as it is, but there are several new factors that would complete change the THL landscape that we're trying to deal with. Specifically, the fact that we're no longer trying to deal with physical game trading and the introduction of PS4 of Shareplay with trophies would both completely alter the playing field of a traditional THL season. So with that being said, we're trying out new things and trying to see what works (like trying some more objective based stuff than just shear quantity of trophies), and while we're doing that THL will be a little less frequent.

That's not to say THL is going to be once a year forever; once we get stuff worked out we can always make it more frequent again. Additionally, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll never revisit a "THL Classic" format; we can do that in the future too, we're just trying new stuff out now to see what works. And finally, we're not just removing THL and replacing it with nothing; we're working on a bunch of ideas for big new site events to fill the empty space.

Too long, didn't read: THL is changing, it might not be changing forever but it is now while we work out kinks. We've got more stuff planned too.