"Oh no not another 'Will I like this game?' thread..." lol

I really want to get another rpg to play...(I dont really like western RPGs) but the PS3 is lacking in the JRPG category.

Im having trouble finding much information on this game so i am just going to ask some quick questions.

1. Does this game have "ultimate" weapons and armor? if so are they hard to obtain? When you change armor and weapons does the appearance change in battle?

2. What exactly does "drifting dungeons" mean? How does it work?

3. Are there any sidequests?

4. So the shops and towns are all menu based? you can only walk around in dungeons? Can you see enemies on screen or is it random battles?

Sorry for all the questions....

I really want to get another rpg to play...(I dont really like western RPGs) but the PS3 is lacking in the JRPG category.

Im having trouble finding much information on this game so i am just going to ask some quick questions.

1. Does this game have "ultimate" weapons and armor? if so are they hard to obtain? When you change armor and weapons does the appearance change in battle?

2. What exactly does "drifting dungeons" mean? How does it work?

3. Are there any sidequests?

4. So the shops and towns are all menu based? you can only walk around in dungeons? Can you see enemies on screen or is it random battles?

Sorry for all the questions....

Reading between the lines of your post methinks you should prepere for pain :)

1. Although there are 'best' weapons and armour and charecter specifc I wouldn't say they are ultimate. They are not so hard to obtain, particualrly post game via the speical store avalible then. Equipped weapons are visable on charecters but not armour and the change is rather lackluster.

2. The game is set in the netherverse, which is like a a large collection of junk floating around in space. Dungeons and objects 'drift' into this space and hang around for awhile. Drifting a dungon invovles going inside and destorying its core which then causes it to drift away into deep space.

3. There are only a few 'kindof' sidequests, which are really just requirements for extra charecters and true endings. Some people might count the large number of optional dungeon levels as sidequesting, and you'll play them alot if you want to get the trophies as rewards.

4.Shops are all menu based, theirs no real 'town' to speak of and so only dungeons can be walked arouind in. The battles are almost entirely random encounters exepct for lurkers, which appear as a dark cloud you can somewhat see and avoid.

I feel your pain with the lack of decent JRPG style games for the PS3. Trinity universe is defeintely not a very good JRPG thou, particualry by traditional standerds of that genre. If you haven't checked it out already you might want to try Ar Tonelico Qoga, which is much closer to an old school JRPG, although not as good as the pervious games in that series either.

You can temporarily stop random encounters by going to the Hunting spots in the dungeons and just keep doing that until the Hunting spot disappears.

Some dungeons have a shop inside it as well.

Your pretty much main purpose in many dungeons is finding images, hidden treasure, beating the lurker, and destroying the Gravity Core inside while escaping in the time limit that occurs once you destroy it. You find where their location by using the Search feature and you just follow it till you find what you're looking for. Sometimes the dungeon will start drifting on its own even without destroying the Gravity Core.

Not really a side-quest, but if you collect enough materials from monsters you defeated, you can fight a specific monster in the Monster Coliseum.

Just like Hyperdimension Neptunia, this game is mostly for like fans of NIS, Gust, and Idea Factory games(since this is a crossover bewteen those companies), but can still be enjoyed by other JRPG fans as well. It's still fun to play, and has lots of hilarious scenes. Definitely not the best, but not a horrible game either. Could also try out Atelier Rorona/Totori, Ar tonelico Qoga, Record of Agarest War plus its prequel game name Record of Agarest War Zero, Cross Edge, and Disgaea 3 and 4.

Which game is better? Hyperdimension Neptunia or Ar tonelico Qoga?

Do either of those games have sidequests or end game stuff?

Hyperdimension Neptunia does have side-quests and even some you can also download from the PSN Store. The end-game stuff for it is getting all of the CPUs to join you to battle against the main enemy as a sort of like true ending for the game.

Ar tonelico Qoga is a very different game. It's an Action RPG with real-time battles. It's also known as Ar tonelico III for being the 3rd game in the series. It has a mix of dating sim material where you make decisions in certain times in the game, and it will affect which girl you end up with. There's 8 total endings. There are times when you use a Dive Machine, and you basically do a dive into their Soulspace in the Cosmosphere of the Reyvateil to unlock stronger Song Magic power. While in the Cosmosphere, you'll see a bunch of events inside their mind, and then you basically clear each level by giving the Reyvateil a Paradigm Shift which unlocks the next level of their Cosmosphere.

You'll find a bunch of talk topics by either finding them on the ground, at shops, completing a level of their Cosmosphere, ones that relate to the story, dungeons, talking to random people, and so on. Most talk topics will be used when you rest at an Inn or at a Camp which will help gain those extra levels of their Cosmospheres.

Ar tonelico Qoga doesn't really offer any end-game material besides just watching the ending of the girl you chosen to be with and seeing their good and bad endings.

But yeah, they're both great games, but they're also very different. Like even Ar tonelico has a lot more serious story with some comedy and brief nudity. Hyperdimension Neptunia is more of like a parody of videogame consoles, but with an original story and a "mostly" all female cast.

I had a lot of fun with this game, as silly and cute as it was. I highly recommend this game if you're just looking for some good old JRPG fun. However, be prepared to be hearing this song over, and over, and over again during your playthrough :p:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuERa_3Az-g]YouTube - ‪Trinity Universe #01 Cosmiclagoon‬‏[/ame]

I had a lot of fun with this game, as silly and cute as it was. I highly recommend this game if you're just looking for some good old JRPG fun. However, be prepared to be hearing this song over, and over, and over again during your playthrough :p:

Well at least it's Haruka Shimotsuki singing. Also, I think I remember it using the Custom Soundtrack feature.

Edited by Shuffle

Hyperdimension Neptunia does have side-quests and even some you can also download from the PSN Store. The end-game stuff for it is getting all of the CPUs to join you to battle against the main enemy as a sort of like true ending for the game.

Ar tonelico Qoga is a very different game. It's an Action RPG with real-time battles. It's also known as Ar tonelico III for being the 3rd game in the series. It has a mix of dating sim material where you make decisions in certain times in the game, and it will affect which girl you end up with. There's 8 total endings. There are times when you use a Dive Machine, and you basically do a dive into their Soulspace in the Cosmosphere of the Reyvateil to unlock stronger Song Magic power. While in the Cosmosphere, you'll see a bunch of events inside their mind, and then you basically clear each level by giving the Reyvateil a Paradigm Shift which unlocks the next level of their Cosmosphere.

You'll find a bunch of talk topics by either finding them on the ground, at shops, completing a level of their Cosmosphere, ones that relate to the story, dungeons, talking to random people, and so on. Most talk topics will be used when you rest at an Inn or at a Camp which will help gain those extra levels of their Cosmospheres.

Ar tonelico Qoga doesn't really offer any end-game material besides just watching the ending of the girl you chosen to be with and seeing their good and bad endings.

But yeah, they're both great games, but they're also very different. Like even Ar tonelico has a lot more serious story with some comedy and brief nudity. Hyperdimension Neptunia is more of like a parody of videogame consoles, but with an original story and a "mostly" all female cast.

Totally awesome and brief explanation of Ar Tonelico Qoga. Why wasn't this posted in my 'Need help choosing a JRPG' thread? :p:p I'm definitely getting it after I've plat'd Hyperdimension!

Thanks for the great in-depth explanation. It seems that At tonelico might be the game for me. Im definitely not going to hesitate to pick it up now.

What is your thoughts on Resonance of Fate? I noticed it was made by tri-Ace and I am a huge Star Ocean fan. I love to play JRPGs that have a lot to do after the main quest such as over-lvling your characters and harder optional bosses.

Edited by GET2DAACHOPPAAAA

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Resonance of Fate does have optional bosses, though the over-leveling part is arguable (learning curve is a bit steep)...I've never played Star Ocean, so I don't really have a comparison but the arena mode was pretty damn long with at least 500 required battles to do (custom soundtrack helps). It's pretty different, as far as RPGs go. Some decent humor, absurd gun customization (not shown in-game), lots of costumes to buy and find.

• 1 year later...

you probably already got trinity universe but if you havnt

this will compare trinity universe to both HDN (HyperDemension Neptunia) games

it seems to use the same engine as HDN mk1 and the levels use the MK2 engine

this game has levels that come and go drifting the level meand destroying a gravity core so the level goes away

eventually the level will come back given enough time

the shops also come and go but can be kept if you use an anchor on it

there are also other objects that come and go, some of which have events

story levels will stay until the story stage is complete, they will eventually return

hope some of this helps