This game is being overlooked.

I went ahead and gave this game a shot. I was hesitant cause of the lack of info the game is getting on this forum, no trophy guide even. But I think its more enjoyable than Dragon Age II, a game I bought on its release date. This game has a better story, fun gameplay, more locales.

For anyone that has platinum, are any trophies missable. If you take every side quest will you be good. Ive read that some missions can be cancelled if not careful. Are you safe to finish the main story first and clean up after.

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/blevensp.png

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/blevensp.png

Edited by blevensp1

I didn't need to use a guide or anything to get my platinum, but I was very meticulous when it came to checking every city after every story quest I did.

By doing this I was able to pick up every journal entry and quest. So as long as you check every area of each town after story/character/side quest missions you will be golden.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I went ahead and gave this game a shot. I was hesitant cause of the lack of info the game is getting on this forum, no trophy guide even. But I think its more enjoyable than Dragon Age II, a game I bought on its release date. This game has a better story, fun gameplay, more locales.

For anyone that has platinum, are any trophies missable. If you take every side quest will you be good. Ive read that some missions can be cancelled if not careful. Are you safe to finish the main story first and clean up after.

PSN ID: blevensp

This would be a rewarding platinum, much like Alpha Protocol was. I must prefer RPG's, I think NIER is underrated as well.

I was just about to buy it today while I was at EB Games (Canadian Gamestop devision) but bought WET instead...I'll get it next time I'm there. I played the original one on PS2 and was really impressed...I should have gotten it today -.-

And as for Nier, I can say that it IS underrated. I platinumed it last week...after a REALLY long time of working on it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My biggest problem with this game is all the filler mini-quests you have to do and then finally be able to see about 2-3 min of story cutscenes. Had it been a strong story all the way it would have been great. Now it's decent, but to repetative.

I don't agree with this at all. The cutscenes are cool once in a while, but they are not what a game should be about. I mean, it's a game, not a movie. It looks as if the developers actually looked at the failures of other games. For example FF13 which had way too many cutscenes, way too little content and too little actual gameplay. I think this game is actually better than FF13 at everything except for the graphics, though the leveldesign and how you can interact with your surroundings etc is much better in this game (FF13 just looks pretty, but is mostly pre-rendered movie clips and walking on a flat platform in a straight line). When you are in the cities, then this is where you actually should follow the story, not the cutscenes, talk to people and see what is happening. They actually got tons of dialogues for those who want to follow the story. Pretty much everyone in every city gets their dialogue updated when something new happens (which is quite often), and often you get to follow their daily life and how it changes by what is happening around them. If you like, you can almost spend more time on the story than the battles, but you can do the opposite as well. While there are some random quests, I think a lot of them is pretty well done.

The game developers copied what they liked about DAO, the souls games and DS3, and executed this well. The game can be difficulty if you want that, but it can also be somewhat easy if you like that too. Instead of mostly running around in cities, you run around in dungeons and forests etc. I personally think the game is pretty addictive. The story doesn't take itself too seriously and there is some humor. Battlesystem is better than every game I've mentioned in my post except for the souls games. For us trophy hunters, it is a blessing that there are no missable trophies, and even though I've yet to come to the last grind part, then I doubt that part can be that boring and time consuming as some may fear. The loading times in this game is amazing, rarely above 2 seconds.

IGN giving this game 5/10 is a big joke that isn't very funny, because it made this game not sell very well, which it deserves to do. Compared to most of their recent reviews this game should have been around 8-9/10. To answer the thread opener, yes, this game is being overlooked due to bad reviews, probably by people who barely tried the game. Also because there haven't been a lot of advertising for it. I know the only reason for why I purchased this was because it was a RPG and it wasn't very pricey, but I'm loving it at the moment (almost 20 hours in).

Edited by MMDE

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Also because there haven't been a lot of advertising for it. I know the only reason for why I purchased this was because it was a RPG and it wasn't very pricey, but I'm loving it at the moment (almost 20 hours in).

Probably this. (At this point). The only reason I found out about this game, is because a while back I was looking for new RPG's to play on PS3 (there needs to be more RPG's!) and came across this game while going through the entire list of RPG's with and without trophies for PS3. While it's pretty cheap, I won't bother buying it. Tried the demo and didn't like it all that much :(

Why isn't anyone playing this? It's cheap instore and is actually fun to play. So it's not another damned warfare game like Halo or Call of Duty...or some pointless crap like a racing game. But it actually has alot of depth and interesting lore.

You shouldn't compare a RPG to a shooter or racer.

Probably this. (At this point). The only reason I found out about this game, is because a while back I was looking for new RPG's to play on PS3 (there needs to be more RPG's!) and came across this game while going through the entire list of RPG's with and without trophies for PS3. While it's pretty cheap, I won't bother buying it. Tried the demo and didn't like it all that much :(

I was close to buying this the other week... might have another look now after reading these posts.

The story and world is told through talking to "still" images in towns, and you just click around in the towns. You don't get to explore them etc. This the game doesn't focus on towns, but it serves it's purpose. It is where you pick up about what is happening in the game, meet people, take on quests, purchase stuff, etc. There are some few video clips, but they usually re-tell what you should already have picked up, and serves only for the lazy, at least for the most parts with a couple of exceptions, and a nice change of pace.

What this game is really about is doing all these quests, and instead of spending a lot of money on designing the cities you just run around in, like Dragon Age does, this game's developers instead spent it's money on the gameplay and the areas you are actually going to play around it. Yes, a lot more focus on the actual gameplay. That is not to say the game lacks story, because the story is there and it's not bad, it's just not in focus. In any case, as I said, the dungeons are nicely designed and pretty huge and quite many. They somewhat re-use them, in the story you get to explore deeper and deeper in them. While a lot of quests makes you go to areas you've been to before, but they are pretty big.

There are some secrets and the like in the game, but not lots of them. Instead you can find various stuff to explore in each area which should satisfy.

The battle system is pretty solid, while not as solid as say Demon's Souls, then it is very solid. This is to be expected since it's the same company as who makes the Dynasty Warriors series. Yes, it's a hack n slash rpg.

I at least enjoyed playing the game, even if near the very end of getting to max level got a bit tired of it.

I've not tried the demo, but I doubt you really got the feel of the game from it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...