Knockout Mode Question

Curious - what's the best thing to be trying to do/knock out with knock out mode?

I spent most of my time the last few weeks since I got the game using it to knock out crystals but finally belatedly realized that I didn't get them that way so that was pointless.

Now all I can figure is to unlock locked gems and/or try to clear a few gems to get a bigger chain...but invariably half the time I knock out the wrong piece and hose that. So now I'm not sure it's even worth putzing with.

Advice/Opinions?

I don't even bother with it....unless i see specific orange or purple matches which are the totems i use. Maybe mJ has better advice cause he is a beast at this game.

just as I would had said it myself.. just utilizing it to actvate those totems if possible :)

I agree that spamming the back is fun but once I realized I wasn't getting the gems from it and was also probably indeed ruining combos I quit.

Still leveling up to 70, so haven't been using the totems yet, will keep that in mind once I get there...8 more levels to go. Though it's difficult to tell what you're gonna hit so I suspect even using it for the totems is problematic sometimes...

Thanks for the responses! :)