Supplementary Skyhook Guide (Set Location to Australia)

ShadeRyderGold

Hi all,

Many are having problems using the Skyhook Manual to set their location far away. The reason the long distance location setting no longer works is because Skyhook are checking the location of your IP address to see if you are selecting the correct country.

To bypass this you will need to use a proxy server.

There are many ways to do this, but the method I found easiest is below (specifically for Australia):

------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1

You need the following:

- Mozilla Firefox (for the addon below)

- iMacros for Firefox (reboot Firefox after installing - LINK: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imacros-for-firefox/)

- Your MAC address (aka WIRELESS BSSID) (see Langedougie's Skyhook Manual or use the mobile app Fing (ios/android/possibly windows) which does a similar thing. For Fing, connect to your wifi and the connection on top will be your router, tap on it and scroll down to see your WIRELESS BSSID. That is the address you want. (it will be something like 00:4E:F3:E2:59:00) PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT the MAC address printed on your router, you must use one of these methods to locate your WIRELESS BSSID, that's the correct MAC address) It may be worth noting that if you have range extenders like I do try doing this for each MAC address for each extender. That seemed to work for me.

- Wifi Vita (I doubt this works on 3G but try if you want) I recommend turning off any settings that ask to automatically retrieve your location, especially Near. Some of these settings can be found in the Settings app but others are also in the Near app on it's own settings page.

STEP 2

Click this link for the Australian Proxy Server. In the input box enter "http://www.skyhookwireless.com/submit-access-point" (without the quotes) and click GO without changing any options (by default they are all ticked except Encrypt Page)

If the website isn't offline (which sometimes happens, if so wait a while and try again) you will be taken to the Skyhook page but Skyhook will think you are in Australia.

STEP 3

This is where iMacros comes in. Because some of the content is removed from the page you cannot use the map to input a location. The input box is also blocked from typing. So open up iMacros and a toolbar should appear on your left. Right click the #current.iim and click Edit Macro (if no Macros appear go to the Rec tab, click Record then Stop and it should appear)

Select all and delete, and copy and paste the following:

VERSION BUILD=8820413 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
FRAME F=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=ID:lat_lon CONTENT="-37.814107, 144.96327999999994"

This should be split over 4 lines as above.

Click Save & Close.

Now in the iMacros toolbar click the Play tab, and with the #current.iim macro selected click the Play button. The Latitude/Longitude box should now be filled in for Melbourne Australia (-37.814107, 144.96327999999994)

STEP 4

Fill in your MAC address and email (can be a fake email, doesn't matter) then pass the verification which will require you to guess characters, click "I'm a human" then copy some text into another empty textbox. You may need to scroll down to see this, there will be 2 scroll bars so make sure both of them are scrolled to the bottom to see the code and box. Then click Submit.

STEP 5

If all went well, the next page will load and if you scroll down some orange text will confirm the change. Now wait about 15 minutes. After that, turn your Vita off and on to reset the location. I used the Maps app and tapped the little circle on the bottom left to see where it thought I was. If it still says you're in your actual location, reboot again. After 3 reboots for me it finally said I was in Melbourne, Australia. It's not changed for 24 hours now, even though where I live has many other Wifi networks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

All going well this should work for you too. It's not a guarantee, many things may mess it up, but it seems reliable enough. Then find some friends who are boosting (and who haven't changed their location) and send back and forth until you get the trophy. Managed to get about 100,000 miles an hour with a team of boosters whereas it previously took me 6 months to get that many, so it's worth the effort :applause:

Thanks to Langedougie for his original guide and Road2unner for helping me with this method.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ShadeRyderGold
Added Links & Improved Explanation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...