Skyhook Manual

langedougie

After doing the travel bug manual and a boosting list I am allready halfway for the world beater Trophy. To help new people boost faster I am gonna make a full step by step manual to change your location. (with the links to the right pages)

Important!!!

This location change only works with the normal WIFI Vita-systems. It DOES NOT work on a 3G/WIFI model

Putting your location far away:

1) Search your IP-adres. Download the program from this link

Download Wireless Troubleshooting Software | MetaGeek

make sure you get the right version download (ex; windows, mac )

This is a secure trusted program. No viruses or spam mails on this download

2) open the program (named inSSider; you dont need to update it to the latest version) and it shows all servers it finds. Your is the first one on the list. Check the tabel with mac-adress on your line. This is your IP adres needed to change skyhook

3) Copy this line onto a piece of paper or put it on a notebook in your PC. You can than uninstall this program from your PC or leave it. Choose as you like, it hasnt much use (maybe travel bug2 :whistle:)

4) Go to the skyhook location page by this link

Skyhook: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP

5) You will see at the bottom, the worldmap. Above it there is a line. Type here where you want your location changed to. People from Europe should take a location in Australia or New Zealand (game is only in Europe at this time, I think))

So: type "Sydney" and than click on "map it" (Australia)

type "Mount Cook" and than "map it" (New Zealand)

These are just two examples from locations 20000 milles away from my location.

6) On the bottom of the map you see mac-adress. Type here (not copy/paste) the adress you got from the earlier program.

7) Enter your email adress and fill in the random words on the bottom. Than click on the big "Submit" at the bottom

8) It takes you to the next page that shows you on the top how many meters you have changed your location. You also receive an email about this, but you can delete this one right away.

9) Your location is now changed. Near on the vita should work within 24 houres with your new location (not with the store update like mentioned in other threads) Your Done

Restore it to the right location you are at:

1)When done with this game its best to put your location back to the right spot.

2) Repeat all the steps from above exept in step 5. Enter now your current location in detail

So:

Name of the street & number / City & zip-code / Country

If you see the map shows your correct location than click "map it"

3) After filling in the rest of the paper ( be sure to enter your mac adress right). You will see like in step 8 that your location has moved again with lots of meters to your normal location

4) you also receive an automatic email again by this. Just delete it and within 24 houres your location is back to normal

Important!!!

- Only works on Wifi vita-systems NOT on the 3G model. The 3G model uses GPS to locate your position. This cant be turned off, So dont try it. I changed my location before and I got lucky 2 times to find my location in New Zealand. Better thrust on people with Wifi systems

- In the boosting thread please mention what type of vita you have and if you are gonna relocate your position. 2 people did this method yesterday and had the trophy allready today WAAW

- There is nothing permanent by doing this. Its also perfectly legal. Skyhook is not coming after you because you did this. Its even normal that you use it because people with Wifi vita's often have trouble with Near. This program only helps. Dont worry about this.

-I hope this helps newcomers with the boost. Like mentioned before. 2 friends of my list have boost together and had within 24 houres all trophys. Making this game a very Easy and very Fast 100% game

Enjoy!! :dance:

Thank you mate.

I did it for the third time.

1. mac address from vita

2. mac from my router site (I thought it will be good)

3. this time - using this small program.

I hope it will work now.

I got 60 000 bugmiles..... long way to go.

One more question (I think it will not be also for me):

If I m asked to use my location under travel bug do I have to say YES and I don't need to un-check it under settings?

Thats something I don't know and cannot test myself. I have the 3G vita.

I asked this question to people that changed their location but they say they didnt do anything else but following this step by step guide.

If you happen to have the wifi version, can you check it for me please. I dont think you have to put it off.

A wifi-vita cannot get data by 3G-connection with the gps-sattelites so, I think it will work normally. Also travel bug asks you to turn this on when you sync. with its server. If the servers location is changed it will normally say you are in that changed spot cause servers also dont carry 3G- connections.

The trick is confirmed that it works by multiple persons. I dont think they change it constantly (confirmed by ben en majinjak)

can you ask someone who confirmed this if for example it was mentioned under near (for example they were like me in Poland and now near is saying Australia) or any other way they are informed about new location?

EDIT: I tried this SSID program today and maybe the reason it was not working for me was bad mac adress i gave to skyhook. Today I checked twice before putting there - maybe this will help.

Stay tuned!

I still sending bugs everyday.

Edited by adas_2008

today I tried something with skyhook.

I moved my "new" location few meters down and after submiting I received information on skyhook page:

Your AP has successfully been added to the system. There may be a delay on certain devices of up to a week.

Note, the access point will be moved approximately 180 meters from its current position. If you have questions regarding this, please contact support@skyhookwireless.com

So their systems sees my location as in Wellington (not Poland) but my Vita still use my home location :(

• 11 months later...

Same here, I can change my location to another city which is about 20-25km from here without a problem. But I try to change it to a location further away Skyhook gives an error.

My vita, which is a 3G model, did recognize the change to the nearby city after turning it off and on again though! 3G was turned off and the SIM-card was removed. So it's possible with a 3G model that is connected through wifi!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...