How is the ranking determined?

Vyrastas

So I thought I'd start a separate thread for this, since I'm trying to figure it out and a few of the trophies are based on getting specific ranks on each level. I'm trying to figure out what determines your ranking on a completed stage.

I get A rank frequently when I do Eco runs. I've gotten SS a few times on the earlier stages and the occasional S on later ones (3 and 4), but I have yet to get an SSS. I've been taking down stats for each run now and comparing, but I think it primarily has to do with:

A) breaking down as many of the items as possible

B) Trash Can Neatness - how empty the can is at the end

C) protecting all Mottainai (having them pulled from the trash by that little dude at the bottom)

D) minimizing shattered trash (any debris outside the can), including Outs

The Decomposition Points may factor into it, but I don't think the Carbon Footprint does at all. I doubt time is a factor, since it doesn't display time at the end.

I did Sweets stage 4 as ECO and got Rank S with the following stats:

Carbon Footprint: 160823.9

Trash Can Neatness: 61.1%

Scattered Trash: 48

Protected Mottainai: 1

Destroyed Mottainai: 0

Decomposition Points: 4918

Bombs Used: 0

This was just barely Eco... the Carbon Footprint doesn't give you too many Ego points based on the high number there, but the Scattered Trash pretty much gives you a ball for every one or two points, so that is very important. The Decomposition Points on this one is the highest I've had in a while. That and the Trash Can Neatness gave me a lot of Eco points. I've noticed you don't get any Eco points for that unless you have it above a certain %.

I've done EGO runs with comparable stats (higher Trash Can Neatness as well) and have gotten Rank B. So I think you have to do Eco to have a chance at SSS.

Anybody know for sure what really drives it? Any other thoughts?

As far as I could tell, it's entirely driven by how many points you get in the level. Get big burn and decomposition chains and that kind of thing.

Someone (I think a member of PS3T, actually) posted a bunch of videos on YouTube that have him getting higher rankings on levels... just compare those against what you're doing differently and stop doing it differently.

As far as I could tell, it's entirely driven by how many points you get in the level. Get big burn and decomposition chains and that kind of thing.

Someone (I think a member of PS3T, actually) posted a bunch of videos on YouTube that have him getting higher rankings on levels... just compare those against what you're doing differently and stop doing it differently.

Heh, I didn't even think about points since it's not on the final stats list where they give you the ranking. I'll start tracking my points, I guess and compared to that to any SSS runs on youtube. Thanks.