Rules for Escalation!

Clunker

So sometimes its hard to get set up with a group who's all on the same page.

It seems like everyone has a different strategy for getting to wave 15.

Some people pick a place to fight it out, others want to stay on the move.

Its tough when half the group wants to run, and the other half wants to camp in two different places.

Some people want to go straight for the weapon upgrade terminal and dump every cent into it. I'll do it if everyone else does, but I'm really not sure how useful it is since I've made it to wave 15 with and without the upgrades.

What are your rules for Escalation?

My personal rules, (1) Capture the high ground, (2) Open doors straight to the weapon upgrade station, (3) pick a place up top to fight it out

I've also had problems with people opening too many doors. There's something to be said for limiting the number of ways enemies come at you. I rarely open the door past the first overlook in Downfall anymore.

So sometimes its hard to get set up with a group who's all on the same page.

It seems like everyone has a different strategy for getting to wave 15.

Some people pick a place to fight it out, others want to stay on the move.

Its tough when half the group wants to run, and the other half wants to camp in two different places.

Some people want to go straight for the weapon upgrade terminal and dump every cent into it. I'll do it if everyone else does, but I'm really not sure how useful it is since I've made it to wave 15 with and without the upgrades.

What are your rules for Escalation?

My personal rules, (1) Capture the high ground, (2) Open doors straight to the weapon upgrade station, (3) pick a place up top to fight it out

I've also had problems with people opening too many doors. There's something to be said for limiting the number of ways enemies come at you. I rarely open the door past the first overlook in Downfall anymore.

Opening alot of doors actually helps, more room to run, don't want to get cornered by a guardian or titan although yes, should go to upgrade booth asap, it may not seem like help but the upgrades buff ammo, then fire rate, then accuracy.

For me on final wave everyone should be together, with their best guns (medic with energon harvester-THAT THING CAN SELF REVIVE) and all classes use their abilities to help each other, especially the medic as he can heal and provided covering fire all at once...

Opening alot of doors actually helps, more room to run, don't want to get cornered by a guardian or titan

Yeah, but I've found that (in Downfall) when your upstairs you'll get swarmed by enemies from all directions if you open all the doors, but if you only go to the first upstairs level and stop then you sort of manage where they come from.

although yes, should go to upgrade booth asap, it may not seem like help but the upgrades buff ammo, then fire rate, then accuracy.

The thing is that if the ammo supply guy is doing his job, and the healer is behind you then I've noticed you don't really need the upgrades. It's rare that I join a team that gets it to level 3 anyway.

For me on final wave everyone should be together, with their best guns (medic with energon harvester-THAT THING CAN SELF REVIVE) and all classes use their abilities to help each other, especially the medic as he can heal and provided covering fire all at once...

God I hate a medic that won't heal, an ammo guy who doesn't let everyone fill up between waves, or a sentry bot stuck in a corner, on the ground, not firing at anything.

BTW, [edit-I felt bad and took the name out] is the worst teammate ever. EVER!

He was the power-core guy but never gave anyone ammo. Now you might think he was a newbie, but no! I saw him give ammo to himself several times when he was out. It pissed me off so bad that for two waves I just ran around with no ammo making the empty gun sound at his face and hitting him in the head.

After TWO waves he still didn't give anyone else any ammo. Of course without ammo I died, I then watched this guy finish the wave by himself and give himself ammo whenever he needed! So he knew what he was doing.

Oh, and when I was firing at several enemies he went up behind me and turned the flames on killing me.

Edited by Clunker

The thing is that if the ammo supply guy is doing his job, and the healer is behind you then I've noticed you don't really need the upgrades. It's rare that I join a team that gets it to level 3 anyway.

God I hate a medic that won't heal, an ammo guy who doesn't let everyone fill up between waves, or a sentry bot stuck in a corner, on the ground, not firing at anything.

But it does help, see the ammo beacon only gives a certain amount at a time, alot of the time I don't have full ammo between waves...also it seems the ammo upgrade is once only, but the increased fire rates and accuracy are a help, mind you only got that far once, but felt soooooooo godly.

I always run medic, I hate randoms but had no choice, and thanks to my experience I learnt that instead of holding down the button to revive someone just using the healing ray, picking off people as you go as well as healing anyone close works great, it gives points too to buy any more upgrades...and again while its not for everyone THE ENERGON HARVESTER HAS SAVED MANY NEAR FAILED ATTEMPTS!

Forgot stage but everyone scattered, they all died to a titan, I was raging but I fired on him as I was downed, self revived, multiple times because he hovered over my damn corpse, pulled myself free, picking off the other enemies, then using the rest of my credits grabbed full ammo and took my time with hit and run attacks, after that...only the ammo guy realised my importance, it was me and him alone on last wave while one guy, a total noob died not longer than a minute in, the other guy was rambo...but died like an idiot, I aint reviving someone half way across the stage, he wanted score, he got second...too busy trying to make all the kills -_-

Also, stay away from the flame things, better off staying far away and on higher ground as you said, I hate trolls like that...

I wish I had my friend, on the last game (wfc) me and him PUSHED THE WORST RANDOMS EVER into line, as better as he was only I had a mic, I bought the noobs necessary gear, and it was me and my friend, carrying everyone...I was holler like a maniac.

In this everytime I grab my mic its a child who answers...it hurts my ears, and when they rant about the non team players its even WORSE THAN NOT GIVING AMMO!

A shame...I love this game, the mp, and escalation, thinking of giving some time to this game outside of trophies but when we got bad team players...reminds me of how painful mp without friends is...still, made me a better player, as much as I hate carrying losers and noobs it does make me feel better to know that I can do the work of 3 XD

Escalation is very toned down for this game compared to WFC. The Decepticon map in WFC was extremely difficult and I do not believe many got to wave 15 in it. On the Autobot map I jumped into a game with randoms at Wave 1 and we made it to Wave 42 before I decided to go to sleep.

On the new game, there are a few rules though that really help:

1. Spend all money to upgrade weapons/open doors to upgrade console -- The upgraded ammo capacity is extremely helpful and all money should go the upgrades by all players, EXCEPT

2. Each player should spend 250 Credits at some point to open an Armory Recreator -- These are cheaper than actually buying the heavy weapons

3. The team should have a common meeting place between waves -- The best place to do this is at the Weapons Upgrade Station so that the healer can heal everyone and the supply beacon can be deployed to help everyone and also so that everyone can put every last credit into the weapon upgrade. On most levels, the upgrade panel is also a great place to make a common stand against the new wave

4. Someone who knows the map should be in charge of the sentry -- This way they will know the best place to put it

5. Don't be afraid to spam your heavy weapon against Titans/Tanks/etc -- If you resupplier is setting up the beacon, ammo shouldn't be a problem

6. Keep upgrading your weapons

7. Know where to make your stand

Ancients - pick a room on the outsides and split into two person pairs to guard those doors, retreat towards help (I personally think this is the hardest map, but it is still not bad if people know what they're doing)

Downfall - There is an ally directly behind the weapon upgrade console that makes for a nice funnel point

Ignition - Upstairs near the weapon upgrade

Oblivion - Near the weapon upgrade

(Sorry if this isn't quite correct as I can't remember Ignition/Oblivion offhand)

8. If someone goes "Rambo", let them go -- No reason for the whole team to lose a life for the stupidity of one person. If you are going to run at enemies, you should be confident you can get back to the team

All of this is for Easy, of course. I have played 12 escalation games and have finished 10 of them. Really these are all so much easier on Easy than any map was in WFC, especially with the special abilities. I would have killed to have free ammo resupplies in the last game.

Ancients - pick a room on the outsides and split into two person pairs to guard those doors, retreat towards help (I personally think this is the hardest map, but it is still not bad if people know what they're doing)

Ancients is the dirt/spider map right? That's got to be the easiest map. The best place to make your stand is at the top of the hill at the weapons upgrade station. If all 4 people are up there with the medic hiding in the back then you can't lose.

Downfall - There is an ally directly behind the weapon upgrade console that makes for a nice funnel point

I think Downfall is the hardest map because this is the map where team work just seems to fall apart.

I've seen people want to make their stand in the alley but I hate doing it. It violates my 'capture the high ground' rule.

I will say this, DO NOT make your stand on the bridge. You will get swarmed and separated after someone gets knocked off.

And DO NOT make your stand in the upstairs enclosed hallway bridge. It's a waste of money and its a Death Trap, the super titan will come through and you can't kill him because the little ball that makes him invincible will float through the ceiling, making it impossible to shoot. So congrats, you just stranded yourself in an enclosed space with an invincible super enemy.

There's no reason to go beyond the first upstairs section. Anything else is a waste of upgrade money.

All of this is for Easy, of course. I have played 12 escalation games and have finished 10 of them.

Here's another good rule - Don't open the door on the first wave! There's no need for it, it starts you out fighting as a team instead of everyone splitting up from the start, and you'll get a good idea of who is going to do what. If the ammo guy doesn't refill you in the base after wave 1 then you know you're on your on, same with medic and sentry.

Getting to higher ground is definitely a priority for me. I also try to play as someone with a sentry if possible. I love getting to a high area and posting my sentry in a window overlooking a large area. Not only does it help point me in the direction of enemies, but it will warn me if enemies are coming up on me from behind.

If I can't play as a sentry guy, then I like to be a medic. People seem to underestimate the usefulness of a good medic. Just this afternoon I played several Escalation games while working towards the 100,000 point trophy, and half the time the medic just stood around. One guy never healed a single person! How lame is that? Definitely if I'm playing Escalation I want a good medic on my team.

Besides that I try to get better weapons as quickly as possible. I tend to stick with the riot cannon and will usually unlock my way to it as quickly as possible.

• 3 months later...

I thought this thread deserved a bump. It's pretty much a road map for the escalation trophies.

Well I'm currently number 4 on the leaderboards so I thought I'd share some more things I've learned over the months...

1. The only exception to my "Capture the High Ground" rule may be DownFall. The best place to make your stand may actually be the ground floor weapons upgrade room, in the back corner by the weapons locker. But it's still open for debate. It really depends on your team. If your medic stays by the back locker and you have two front men taking point a few steps in front of that then you have a pretty good chance of survival.

2. BudrowBear (the number 1 guy on the leaderboards) offered this tip during a game, In DownFall - Never open the door connecting the back alley to the courtyard. The one in the back of the board, outside the weapon upgrade station. It has a weapons locker by it. According to him, your odds of survival are drastically reduced by opening that door.

3. In Oblivion, believe it or not forget the weapons upgrade chamber. The easiest completions I've had is to follow this simple route -> Stay in the main area until wave 4 or 5. Then move through the main big door and then through the door on your right, into the room where the riot canon is located. Next open the door ("Repair Bay") in the back of the riot canon room to proceed up to the ledge. STOP. Go no further. Do not open the weapons upgrade room. Fight it out on the ledge (beware of snipers). This creates the perfect funnel for your enemies. You've heard the story of the one samurai who fought off an entire army by facing them on a bridge where they had to come at him one at time - well same concept. A few enemies will come at you up the ramp from behind, and the Titan will come through the enemy gate behind you. But most will have to come through the ledge opening. If your medic is in the back providing support then you can't lose. However, if you open the weapons upgrade room then you will get swarmed in two directions and you will not be able to hold the Repair Bay ledge position.

4. Medics Shouldn't be Rambo. Seriously don't be a douchebag. A medic's job is to provide support. If you're fighting it out in a weapons upgrade room a medic shouldn't be on the front line. He should be in the back healing the people on the front line. Don't wait until a health meter turns red to start doing your job. Heal constantly. If their shield goes down, heal. Be a proactive medic. BTW, there was some talk above about a medic using an Energon Harvester, I'm not saying you can't use one, BUT healing others will recharge your own energy as well. So you shouldn't really need one if you're doing your job.

5. You know what, just don't be a rambo period. Running around the board like a spastic idiot does not make you an awesome player. It makes you the guy who either (a) just left his team to die or (B) just ran out to get killed halfway across the board. BTW, in the case of "b" most players have given up on the idea of suicidal rescue missions, so if you go down out there chances are nobody is coming for you. Now you might say "I don't need you, I've got an Energon Harvester!" Well I'd just like to point out that if you go down out there the enemies are going to quickly run to the other side of the board where your teammates are at, so you're going to find yourself shooting that harvester at empty air.

6. Don't go out on the bridge! That rule just never gets old.

7. Let's talk Ancients - If you've got a good team make your way to the upgrade room and follow all the points mentioned in the posts above. However, I now personally believe you need atleast 3 people doing their job to hold your position on Upgrade Hill. Two have to be the medic and the ammo guy, and they have to be doing their job. If you can't make that happen, go for the 'top of tower' trick in the first room you open on your journey up Upgrade Hill. If worst comes to worst you can finish the board by yourself like this. HOWEVER, do not (I repeat DO NOT) go back to the beginning bunker ("Armory") and wall climb to the top of the board. If you can do it then you know what I'm talking about. Chances are no one else can do it and you're leaving your team to die. The other players aren't going to think you're super-awesome-cool for jumping to the top of the board, they're going to think you're the jerk who ran off with their ammo (it's always a Jazz player who goes up there).

• 1 month later...

Older thread, but sorta new player to the MP. Very helpful. I'm not all that great yet but figured most of this out so far. I'm not a great medic, but tend to pick that because I'm better than most randoms and too many of them are suicidal.

Basically I get this- Get the riot cannon (of course), open doors to get to high ground, upgrade weapons.

I've found most of the other weapons and upgrades are a bit useless.

Any other tips for Ancients? It's the only trophy I have left for escalation but (when I can actually get to that map) can't seem to get in a team that can beat it yet (prob 4-5 tries so far).

Any other tips for Ancients? It's the only trophy I have left for escalation but (when I can actually get to that map) can't seem to get in a team that can beat it yet (prob 4-5 tries so far).

You're lucky. Ancients is the one map you can finish by yourself.

**** Only If you're dead set on getting the trophy, screw everyone else ****

(1) Don't be the medic. You really want to be either Jazz or WheelJack.

(2) Stay in the bunker till after wave 3. (If you're playing with randoms that won't happen though) This builds money while providing complete safety.

(3) Go to the first locked room on your journey up upgrade hill. Don't remember what its called. This is where you will make your stand.

(4) There is a large tower in the center of the room. You want to get on top of that. Everyone does this now so you should have already seen someone do this. You want to jump on the 'box things' nearest the door, then use that to jump glide on top of the door, then jump glide to the top of the tower.

(5) Buy the lava gun next to the tower. This is the only weapon you need, and if you're going it alone you WILL need it. It keeps attacking your enemies even while you're under cover. You do NOT have the time to aim and shoot with a standard gun.

(6) Make your stand at the top of the tower. Buy ammo and health rechargers as needed.

(7) Take out snipers and grenade throwers as quick as possible. Grenades will knock you off the tower and being on the ground is a death sentence.

(8) Technically you can finish without doing anything else. If you like you can build up money and when you have enough go open the upgrade room and either (a) upgrade to level 1 and get a 20 round lava clip or (B) go buy a dimension bomb. Don't bother to upgrade past level 1 in ancients if you're going it alone.

(9) Leave your team to die. Do not jump down to help anyone. This sounds like a complete asshole thing to do but if you want the trophy you have to stay alive. Going out to heal teammates is the number 1 way to kill this strategy.

*All that being said, that really is the asshole technique. It works, but it won't make you any friends. I prefer to make my stand on top of upgrade hill, but sometimes you just don't have a choice if the randoms won't work together. I can tell you this, one way or another I always win Ancients, every time, no question.

• 4 months later...

THE ENERGON HARVESTER HAS SAVED MANY NEAR FAILED ATTEMPTS!

One day I was playing on the Ignition map (the arena in Kaon where Megatron reclaimed leadership from Starscream) as Warpath. My entire team, including me, was down on wave 15 with only one life left. Everyone else was about dead, and a Guardian was right on top of me, ready to vaporize what's left of me (the other was killed by yours truly after drawing him away from the others--don't mean to brag). At that moment, I was like, "That's it. It's over." Then I realized that I had a Energon Harvester on me, and I used it on the Guardian enough to put me back at full health AND kill him. The rest of the enemies fell quickly to my Riot Cannon.

True story.

In this everytime I grab my mic its a child who answers...it hurts my ears, and when they rant about the non team players its even WORSE THAN NOT GIVING AMMO!

In the Ancients map, some kid kept hitting me at the beginning just because he wanted Jazz and I snatched him before he did, so he got stuck with Perceptor. I like to camp at the tall structure on the other side of the map, so I picked Jazz since he had the ammo beacon (your default weapon just eats away at your ammo).

Anyone else used this strategy to beat that map? Anyone could get up there, even Perceptor (I know because someone pulled it off in front of my very eyes).

A shame...I love this game, the mp, and escalation, thinking of giving some time to this game outside of trophies but when we got bad team players...reminds me of how painful mp without friends is...still, made me a better player, as much as I hate carrying losers and noobs it does make me feel better to know that I can do the work of 3 XD

Aside from whiny 11-year-olds, slackers, and complete newbies, my only problem with Escalation was that the game keeps on freezing--seems to happen most often in the middle of wave 15 on DownFall.

Edited by XenoDarth

• 2 months later...

Not really a rule but some advice I've picked up. While facing Heavy Gunners in all but Downfall (cause they don't show up there), if you have the medic's heal beam on you, feel free to take the front position, the Heavy Gunners won't be able to hurt you faster then your shields are being recharged. If both you and the medic are blasting away you should be able to down them (even 2 at once) before the heal beam runs out.

Just don't try to melee them, you will take a lot of damage. Same goes for the titans and the guardians.

As for some pointers, in Oblivion, don't leave the main room until the first Titan shows up. You can easily handle the rest of the waves from there as long as everyone is doing their jobs well.

In most maps, if you can at least get the ammo upgrade, it will come in handy for not needing to refill as much. If you think you can make it, try for the reload speed too, that time you are reloading is time you aren't able to shoot, and melee may not be a good idea in many situations.

Lastly, don't waste ammo on Scrappers, they die in a single hit from melee, and hitting them first is real easy to do.

• 2 years later...

My advices

• When on the Ancient map, during any Insecticon round, get to higher ground like you're trying to get off bounds, getting onto tall of boxes or hard to reach areas. Don't let them swarm you or get near your feet and you wont be downed often.
    -
  • When facing Autobot Titans, Decepticon Leapers, Heavy Gunners (both factions) and Guardians. Keep your distance when facing these and unless you are playing medic dont rush to save your team if they died close to these enemies, it's not worth the risk in late rounds.
    -
  • Don't ignore team health if you are medic. Play sensibly and monitor other players health when they are nearby. Your help is essential when their shields might be dropping fast after round 6 and above.
    -
  • Don't be a Scrooge McDuck if you are the power core specialist bot, ammo in this mode is very important and if your team mates cant shoot at all, you risk losing faster.
    -
  • Don't rush the enemies, It's very easy to lose good weapons and heavy weapons like the Scrapmaker X18 if you are completely destroyed and spawn next round.