I think I've gotten worse since '99

I don't know if this is the case with anyone else...

But back in 1999 I must have played this over and over again. And I got to be really really good at playing this game.

I have lost my touch because I played this for about 30 minutes last night and boy... did I SUCK.

Maybe it's because I'm use to playing EA Skate but it's taking me a little longer than I thought to get used to the controls again.

Anyone else feel like this???

Edited by Steve_LWL

Lol omg bro, I feel the same way! I remember playin THPS 1 & 2 on the DC and 3 on the PS2. Dude I was REALLY good! Back in the day I would of got these trophies no prob. Man after playin it yesterday I suck bad lol. I don't remember how to do anything. I thought I woulda picked it back up quick like riding a bike. I feel I'm gonna have to put in a lot of time again just to be HALF as good as I used to. Sux :(

I was playing alot of SSX and I kept trying to use SSX controls in THPS for awhile. It was easy to get back into after awhile though.

This version seems to control a bit differently than those old games too. I used to be able to use the wall to line up the jump through the secret room gap in Warehouse and land on the rail and then do the holy cow gap every time. But now I can never line myself up to land on the rail.

It also doesn't help that the frame rate seems to be alot worse than older Tony Hawk games. I can't understand why they couldn't hit 60fps with this game D:

I too am having this problem. Back in the day I completed Tony Hawk 1, 2 and 3. Although the "physics" are a bit different compared to the first three and I have had a bit of trouble landing moves and doing wall rides.

On the plus side, On School 2, I never knew there was a little ramp that you can take to get up to where the hidden DVD is. I used grind on the lockers, wall ride then jump on to that ledge lol

I too am having this problem. Back in the day I completed Tony Hawk 1, 2 and 3. Although the "physics" are a bit different compared to the first three and I have had a bit of trouble landing moves and doing wall rides.

On the plus side, On School 2, I never knew there was a little ramp that you can take to get up to where the hidden DVD is. I used grind on the lockers, wall ride then jump on to that ledge lol

HAHA dude thats how i did it when i was little

When I first started playing this the other day, I was doing terrible. But by the next day, I got the hang of it again. I hadn't played a Tony Hawk games since Project 8, so I was a little out of the loop, but playing this reminded me how much I loved the originals, and how much they screwed up with the sequels.

I can't wait for the DLC, and I'm hoping they either release Tony Hawk HD 2 next year, or just a brand new game all together.

You're not alone. :p While I'll say I haven't completely lost my touch.... I have and played the heck out of all 3 Skate's from EA and that's made me pretty rusty at THPS. One thing I've noticed is trying to land at an angle simply doesn't work like Skate, you bail everytime. I was frustrated why I wasn't landing hardly any tricks in the beginning, now I'm doing alrite.

Btw, random comment but I can't stand how lazy they got in a few things. Like for one, a BS Tailslide is literally the exact animation as a FS Noseslide. It just looks awkward and all they had to do was turn the head the other direction when doing a tailslide. I think a couple other tricks might be like that too, but whatever, minor nitpick.

It's getting easier with practice, i know what you mean about playing skate. Every time i land a little big sideways and crash i'm confused because in skate you can land if your not moving to fast but in this game you have to be straight as possible

I have to agree with thread starter on this one, I'm sure I was better at this back in the day. Don't know what's wrong with me, maybe I'm getting old lol. These combos are killing me, just took me over an hour to score 300,000 on Downhill Jam. Looked on YouTube and some guy does it in 16 seconds, I was never that good but I mean.....come on, I'm sure I didn't suck this bad!

It definitely is hard to jump back into one of these, especially if you've gone a long time. I was doing awful at the start, but as I got the feel of the adjusted physics and increased some stat points, everything became even again.

I also agree with the framerate comment though. Sometimes it would randomly drop out of nowhere and screw up one of my runs. Very frustrating.

I have to agree with thread starter on this one, I'm sure I was better at this back in the day. Don't know what's wrong with me, maybe I'm getting old lol. These combos are killing me, just took me over an hour to score 300,000 on Downhill Jam. Looked on YouTube and some guy does it in 16 seconds, I was never that good but I mean.....come on, I'm sure I didn't suck this bad!

I noticed that too... I'm having the hardest time trying to get 350k on The Mall in PRO mode. I watched a video and the guy did it in like 20 seconds.

I am getting better at this game now with my stats updated but nowhere near how consitant I was back in the day.

But I do love this game though. Enough to throw the controller twice :D

I used to absolutley rock this game. On THPS1 I was able to clear over 100k on every level, some level 200k. Anyone who played that game knows those were insane scores for the first game.

I just tried my first level on the HD here. Maaaaan do I need to get my skills back. Just did a kickflip on the ground to get things started. Faceplant... Oh well, after a quick shower I can start to focus on the game. I'm sure after a couple hours I will be schooling it again.

If only I could really skate like that... 15 years and I still can't do anything other then ride it. Ha, like the Hed(PE) song, "I can't ollie, I can't drop in, but I can skate to the liqour store and buy some gin"

Btw, random comment but I can't stand how lazy they got in a few things. Like for one, a BS Tailslide is literally the exact animation as a FS Noseslide. It just looks awkward and all they had to do was turn the head the other direction when doing a tailslide. I think a couple other tricks might be like that too, but whatever, minor nitpick.

DUDE! I knew there was something weird about the tailslide/noseslide animations but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I'm happy I'm not the only one that noticed this.