I never got this game, can you convince me to get it?

kfree7

I don't like this game. It's like a bad action movie turned into a game. There is no sense of freedom and it's absolutely nothing like the old tomb raider games at all. Several achievements are bugged or really easily missable, and there are a ton of multiplayer achievements.

I wouldn't recommend this game to an enemy. I quite dislike it actually.

I've heard almost nothing but bad things about this game and the story and online modes are still buggy, even after all the updates from what I've been reading and the videos I've seen. Ultimately though this is a love it or hate it sort of game so try it out on an alt account first.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.

I have seen people praising it but also hating on it. I have played their earlier works and didn't like it, I am mostly a fan of the original games but I haven't played this one so I don't really know whether to recommend it or not. I got it from PS+ awhile ago and plan on giving it a try and I am excited over how you can use a bow (though I do miss the guns). Otherwise the game seems pretty average.

Maybe watch some videos on youtube and see if it looks appealing enough to you?

I've heard almost nothing but bad things about this game and the story and online modes are still really buggy, even after all the updates from what I've been reading and the videos I've seen.

What bugs are in the story and multiplayer? I played the game a lot, and had no problems. Not every game has nasty bugs in, you really need to have played the game to judge it ;)

The game is cheap now, and its re masted on PS4. It's a good game, it was free on plus a few months back as well so you might have added it to your download list then.

I really enjoyed it and look forward to the sequel. I loved the bow play. Definitely recommend for the price you can get it now, mp is meh but pretty decent with friends, there are a lot worse grinds out there. Few bugs but i never ran into anything major. I'll be stacking this game when the price drops.

The single player is dynamic and interesting enough that I would recommend it to anyone. As I played through the game, I was convinced that is was game of the year material, praise I don't fall on lightly. The game can be approached with different styles and the mechanics or he game do their best to facilitate your mode of play, weather you want to be stealthy or go in guns blazing. The are puzzles in the game that would do old school tomb raider fans proud while not be mandatory for new fans of the series. That's all I can think to say without spoilers...

That said, platinum hunters should note that the multiplayer is a huge grind and the multiplayer is not even close to being as good as others of its kind, let alone as good as single player. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees. I'd go as far as saying to start the game with a partner in mind, because its about 18-24 hours to boost. There are solo methods, but some trophies require another player.

Bottom line, if you never play this game then you're missing out on an excellent single player experience. I would recommend this game to most anyone, but the multiplayer grind is noteworthy.

I'm just reporting what I've read over the last few months since support was dropped for the PS3 version. I know of a couple of cases where people have hit gamebreaking script glitches that prevent story progression, connection/lag problems in MP, issues with the Chatterbox trophy etc. Also, the PS4 version has save file corruption problems (unless they've been fixed recently).

Ultimately though I would either try this on an Alt account or spend some time on Youtube looking up some reviews.

http://chanpengli.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/do-it.png

If it wasn't for TLoU, Tomb Raider would've been my favorite game from last year, and it's even better on the PS4.

Now the MP trophies are a bit of a grind, and I'm sure the MP is pretty dead on both platforms, but luckily you can boost XP & salvage ($, basically) solo.

http://chanpengli.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/do-it.png

If it wasn't for TLoU, Tomb Raider would've been my favorite game from last year, and it's even better on the PS4.

Now the MP trophies are a bit of a grind, and I'm sure the MP is pretty dead on both platforms, but luckily you can boost XP & salvage ($, basically) solo.

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-serious-rob-rnbk.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Greatly regret purchasing it. This game is bland and shallow beyond belief.

The "puzzles" (it's difficult to call them that) are so easy, it's insulting.

The levels and "tombs" are extremely linear. You never get that feeling of exploration because there is nothing to explore and it's always obvious where to go next. Simply press L2 and the way is highlighted for you.

There is a trophy for looting 200 dead people. It's funny, because killing for the first time seemed to be a great shock for Lara. But killing the other 199 didn't seem to be a problem to her. I don't think John Rambo ever killed that many people in one of his movies. Not to forget - it's supposed to be a deserted island with only stranded people living on it. Yeah, makes sense.

The amount of shootings, explosions and falls is so high, I couldn't believe it.

Another great disappointment was the "survival" part of the game. Remember Naked Snake in Snake Eater? Where he had to actually hunt and eat all kind of animals, insects and plants to survive? Where he had to treat his own wounds, burns, bone fructures? None of it exists in TR. Yes, Lara looks beaten up, she's bloody and occasionally limps but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. Hell, there isn't even a health bar in this game and she's perfectly fine even after being shot at multiple times. Killing animals is also not vital to the gameplay, the only thing it does is give you some exp.

And I haven't even started playing the multiplayer, which is supposed to be the bad part of the game.

They could have easily made Bruce Willis or Silvester Stallone the main char of the game, it wouldn't have made and difference. At least that would perfectly suit them. This game is a freaking joke.

The game was fine, I liked the Single Player. The only thing that was really "Grindy" was the Weapons trophy, but that was because I was 1200 salvage short by the end of the game. You can save some trouble and shoot various animals that you encounter (not just the ones that attack you) and get salvage that way. No difficulty, especially if you have some background in shooters as this is more of a shooter than I originally anticipated.

Most importantly, PAY ATTENTION TO THE MISSABLES! If you miss those, especially Chatterbox, you'll need to start again. (The other ones you can make a save when you first get to ShantyTown and get the other three, but Chatterbox you can lose that very early in the game.)

Multiplayer, there's a few trophies that are probably best booted. You are looking at about 8 hours of boosting if you have 2 players (Using the Grenade Launcher method, which is about as boring as Stunning each other in Assassins Creed Brotherhood). 90,000 XP per game, divided by 1,775,000 is approximately 20 games. Each game is 20 minutes so looking at about 7 hours just in leveling, not including load times between games. The rest are pretty quick, just form a party.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Greatly regret purchasing it. This game is bland and shallow beyond belief.

The "puzzles" (it's difficult to call them that) are so easy, it's insulting.

The levels and "tombs" are extremely linear. You never get that feeling of exploration because there is nothing to explore and it's always obvious where to go next. Simply press L2 and the way is highlighted for you.

There is a trophy for looting 200 dead people. It's funny, because killing for the first time seemed to be a great shock for Lara. But killing the other 199 didn't seem to be a problem to her. I don't think John Rambo ever killed that many people in one of his movies. Not to forget - it's supposed to be a deserted island with only stranded people living on it. Yeah, makes sense.

The amount of shootings, explosions and falls is so high, I couldn't believe it.

Another great disappointment was the "survival" part of the game. Remember Naked Snake in Snake Eater? Where he had to actually hunt and eat all kind of animals, insects and plants to survive? Where he had to treat his own wounds, burns, bone fructures? None of it exists in TR. Yes, Lara looks beaten up, she's bloody and occasionally limps but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. Hell, there isn't even a health bar in this game and she's perfectly fine even after being shot at multiple times. Killing animals is also not vital to the gameplay, the only thing it does is give you some exp.

And I haven't even started playing the multiplayer, which is supposed to be the bad part of the game.

They could have easily made Bruce Willis or Silvester Stallone the main char of the game, it wouldn't have made and difference. At least that would perfectly suit them. This game is a freaking joke.

Yes, tell us more about how a video game is unrealistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this the last few days and it's freaking amazing! I haven't played a game this intense since probably Uncharted 2. It really is a masterpiece of a game and an amazing re-imagining of the original with a brilliant origin story, tight combat mechanics, and superb voice acting.

The game is very indicative of the Uncharted series, as it kinda borrows some mechanics, such as the sheer cinematic action of the game and it being interactive. Plus the platforming is very reminiscent of UC as well. But it's not at all a carbon copy...it has it's own flavor.

If I had one complaint it would be that the puzzles are stupid easy, I don't want them to be hard...just more complex. Other than that everything else, is fantastic.

I think the next game is going to blow us all away.

Yes, tell us more about how a video game is unrealistic.

No he's right. The marketing of this game was all about how Lara is weak and fragile, funny thing because she kills in this game more people than in Anniversary, Legend and Underworld both 3 combined.

And the second point was "survival", well you don't have to survive because there is nothing to do this, you just climb and kill people, where is the survival aspect ? Do you need to drink and eat ? No. Do you need to treat your wounds ? No. etc etc

Fuck this game, they killed Tomb Raider....

No he's right. The marketing of this game was all about how Lara is weak and fragile, funny thing because she kills in this game more people than in Anniversary, Legend and Underworld both 3 combined.

And the second point was "survival", well you don't have to survive because there is nothing to do this, you just climb and kill people, where is the survival aspect ? Do you need to drink and eat ? No. Do you need to treat your wounds ? No. etc etc

Fuck this game, they killed Tomb Raider....

Do you really not get what the game was about?

She was weak and fragile because this was the prequel to the original games. This was a re-imagining of the origin story of Lara Croft. It showed us what made her tick, what caused her to to be the bad ass battle hardened warrior we knew from the originals. Everything from surviving (which just because useless mechanics like eating aren't present, she's still surviving on a strange island, getting her ass beat, and still trucking on through) obstacles to her reaction to killing someone for the first time. It's giving us a story of how an experience like this would change a person's life forever.

And as for her killing a bunch of people. Yeah? so? You have an island filled with people that wanted to kill her, shes not supposed to do whatever she can to survive? The only other option was to put no enemies into the game or turn it to purely a stealth game...which would have sucked.

This is a re-imagining of Tomb Raider, and the new image is absolutely beautifully done. Frankly, it may not be much like the old Tomb Raider games...but that's a good thing. Because this game does it a million times better.