Multiplayer: Tomb Raider vs. The Last of Us

dreamingtree41

I have a quick question about the multiplayer trophies for Tomb Raider. How do the multiplayer trophies in general compare to the multiplayer trophies for The Last of Us?

I am just now finishing up the last multiplayer trophy, Hunter, and I have found that the multiplayer trophies on TLOU is not hard but just a very very long grind. If one was to play all 84 matches for each of the Factions trophy (total of 168), then it can take anywhere between 30-40 hours. Furthermore, there are 5 sections were if you are unable to complete a certain task within 3 matches then you must start over from the very beginning, but there are ways around the latter. For example, if you mess up you are able to hit the PS button, exit the game, and thus voiding the match.

On the positive side, there are some very easy tasks that you can choose to complete. Also, one way to avoid playing the 84 matches needed for each Faction Trophy is to just skip multiple days in a row because you only need to keep 1 survivor alive at the end.

My point is that as much as a pain in the ass the multiplayer trophies are for TLOU it is just a very long grind, and as long as you don't do anything crazy for the 5 sections were your clan can be completely wiped out, its not that difficult. Also, you really do not need a boosting partner. Finally, there have been no problems getting matches with random people. In fact, it takes the game longer to load than it does to find people to play with.

For Tomb Raider:

(1) Do the trophies require any difficult tasks to be completed (if so, then do you need a boosting partner)

(2) Can the trophies besides getting to level 60 be completed without a boosting partner

(3) Is it hard to find matches with random people

(4) Is it easy to find boosting partners if they are needed

(5) How much time will the online trophies take to complete

(6) Finally, how does it compare to TLOU

I plan on starting this game this weekend. Would it be better to do the online trophies first, then play the game? The reason I am asking this is because I have read that the only reason that people are not having trouble finding online matches is because it was free for PS+ members in March. Therefore, if the latter is true, then once the PS+ members who are trophy hunting are done, then the lobbies will be dead again. In other words, before this was available for free was it difficult to find matches online?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Edited by dreamingtree#41

1: Yes, you need up to 3 people for some of the trophies.

2: As above. Actually getting to Lv60 can be done solo but it's faster if you have more people.

3: It depends, some people have no trouble getting into games whereas others have major issues and no-one knows why.

4: Yes, see the stickied boosting thread for your version of the game.

5: According to the Guide you can expect it to take approx 12hrs,

6: Having not played either of them I can't really say but from what I've read, you either love or hate playing these two games online; there's no middle ground.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

While I agree with Terminators answers, I'll post mine up as well.

(1) Depends which system, but to make things quicker and easier, 2 other boosters is recommended.

(2) Most of them can come naturally, if you try. The zip line kill would be problematic as they are rarely used.

(3) Dunno, I blew through MP in the first week of release on PS4, and the week it came out on PS+

(4) Depends on the system. I've heard PS3 was fairly dead before it was on PS+, and no a lot of people own PS4s.

(5) I think I spent around 8 hours getting all MP trophies

(6) I hated TLOU online. I was constantly worrying about my clan dying and having to restart from scratch. That isn't that possibility in TR. TR is much quicker, and more relaxed. Definitely more boring though.

I plan on starting this game this weekend. Would it be better to do the online trophies first, then play the game? The reason I am asking this is because I have read that the only reason that people are not having trouble finding online matches is because it was free for PS+ members in March. Therefore, if the latter is true, then once the PS+ members who are trophy hunting are done, then the lobbies will be dead again. In other words, before this was available for free was it difficult to find matches online?

This was my MP game for the last week. I'd play the SP for familiarity on the controls, at least for a bit. I jumped back and forth, playing the MP when the prime gaming hours were present. I had no issue finding games, because of the ps+ population infusion. I was going to boost if needed, but I completed the last MP challenge trophy at 43, and I don't all-out zerg these things either.

Total MP time was around 20-25hr, and that's for the most part just playing, not pushing as fast as I can for every point of xp.

I have no doubt that the population will die down shortly. The reason being, very few prestige players show up in games. Out of the eight people in a match, less than half the time there's one prestige, and only on occasion has there been 2 or 3. So get in while it's hot.

• 1 month later...

The main problem in my opinion is that the Tomb Raider MP is not fun at all. I dont like it at all. I can not compare with with The Last of Us MP, witch I enjoyed a lot. Usually I dont like MP trophies but The Last of Us was surprisingly good. Probably the best I played since a long time. The Tomb Raider MP sucks a lot! (only my humble opinion)

For Tomb Raider:

(1) Do the trophies require any difficult tasks to be completed (if so, then do you need a boosting partner)

(2) Can the trophies besides getting to level 60 be completed without a boosting partner

(3) Is it hard to find matches with random people

(4) Is it easy to find boosting partners if they are needed

(5) How much time will the online trophies take to complete

(6) Finally, how does it compare to TLOU

It's obviously been a bit since the OP posted, but having Plat'ed both MP games (twice for TR), I thought I'd pass along my thoughts having recently completed the PS4 version.

1. The MP trophies themselves aren't difficult and can be done by playing the game legit without much trouble (although you may need some luck). Many can be obtained in a private solo match.
  2. None of the trophies require boosting, it just makes it faster. You can play private solo matches to level quickly if you have trouble finding online matches.
  3. It's not hard to find matches, but you may find at certain times of day it will take a while. Finding Ranked matches (required for I'm All That) can sometimes be challenging.
  4. If you look for boosting partners through these forums you shouldn't have problems finding others in your area / time zone. Obviously that will change as time goes by.
  5. It depends on how you do it. If you play legit matches it will take a long time as the amount of XP you get per-match won't be significant and you need over 1.7 million XP to hit level 60. If you solo boost you're looking at 15+ hours to get to Level 60 plus time spent getting the other trophies done. I'd say 20 hours minimum (assuming you boost) once you factor in time spent waiting around for matches to start, waiting for other players to join, etc.
  6. Personally I found the TLOU MP a lot more fun and more challenging. The TR MP bored the shit out of me and I couldn't wait to get it over with.

When you look at TLOU, there aren't a lot of MP trophies but they are time consuming because there's only so much you can do to speed things up. At the end of the day you still need to complete 168 matches to complete the Firefly and Hunter journey's, and you can only skip so many matches, so you'll end up playing the MP quite a bit to get it done. However, since the MP is pretty fun you might not mind.

On the other hand, TR has more MP trophies but as most can be done solo, and because you can boost XP in private matches (even solo), it can take less time overall. There are only 4 trophies that are better done with a boosting partner (or 3), so in reality you could get those ones out of the way fairly quickly and then never actually have to play another online match again. On the other hand, if you want to get all trophies without boosting then it's going to take quite a while.

Edited by swotam

• 2 weeks later...