PS4 Tomb Raider Error save corruption explanation and prevention

Otaku51

Saw below post on another forum (psnprofiles) posted by user Kadmar;

FOR TOMB RAIDER OWNERS in Single Player mode, a lot of you have had issues with crashes and save file corruption.

The game has 2 identifyable errors CE-34878-0: the first one occurs after you jump to a helicopter from an exploding tower (this crash doesn't corrupt your save). The second crash occurs if you fast travel to shipwreck beach camp (this crash corrupts your save because it turns off the game while the game is auto-saving. You won't be able to continue your progress unless you have a back-up). Both issues are clearly due to poor programming.

To avoid losing your progress, here is what you have to do:

1/ Just use the 3 save slots every time you save in a camp. Press "options" during the game, choose "change save slot", select a new slot by pressing X on the slot, wait for the TR logo to blink on the bottom right of the screen and do it again until the 3 slots are identical (you can do that with only 2 slots if you want to keep the 3rd for another purpose like missable trophies attempts)

DO NOT FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH. IF YOU FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND WILL DESTROY YOUR SAVE (VERY BAD PROGRAMMING).

COMPLETE SHIPWRECK BEACH AND BUNKER 100% BEFORE CONTINUING THE STORY!! IF YOU DON'T COMPLETE SHIPWRECK BEACH 100% AND WAIT UNTIL THE END TO FAST TRAVEL TO THIS LOCATION TO COMPLETE IT, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE 100% COMPLETION OF THE GAME.

2/ If the game crashes on you while you are playing and corrupt the save in your current slot, simply reload the game and a save file from another slot. You will only lose the progress from the last save and the moment of crash. (If you didn't follow my recommendation and don't have a back-up, you will have to restart the game from scratch because your save file is dead and not recoverable.)

3/ Then from the healthy save, overwrite the corrupted slot (this will be done naturally if you always save on the 3 slots.)

Hope this helps.

Next to the two examples stated above, my game crashed early in the game and I only lost my ghost hunter challenge.

Edit: the mp progress is saved in the profile data save, which does not glitch or corrupt like the autosave files, as far as I know.

Edited by Otaku51

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response on my thread.

Wish I'd seen this earlier though decided to start from scratch just got the the helicopter scene and bam it crashes my back up is of that save too.

Looks like a third playthrough now can someone please smack Square Enix for me Lara Style:D

I didn't collect as many collectables though but did accidently get the odd one or two challenges items should I just continue on get chatterbox and hope for the best?

Thanks for the response on my thread.

Wish I'd seen this earlier though decided to start from scratch just got the the helicopter scene and bam it crashes my back up is of that save too.

Looks like a third playthrough now can someone please smack Square Enix for me Lara Style:D

I didn't collect as many collectables though but did accidently get the odd one or two challenges items should I just continue on get chatterbox and hope for the best?

Sure no problem. And I think it would be best just to start over with a fresh playthrough. Getting all collectibles and regularly backing up your save file.

On the other hand, it is possible to speedrun up to the last chatterbox in less than an hour, so that might be worth it first.

Hi this reply is directoed at Otaku51. The CE-34878-0 is a software database error on your ps4 not a game error. it can happen to anyone on any game at any time.

My ps4 was un-playable when i got it becasue of that error and i fixed it by donloading the system software from sony, the same software needed if you where going to upgrade your ps4. Once i did this absolutley no errors relating to software and i have since plattyed cod ghost and ac4.

I have a feeling this is not related to Shipwreck Beach, but can happen at any fast travel location, and for that matter any time the game autosaves. I think the game is crashing during an auto-save. I was paranoid ash ell after reading this, but one time I fucked up and HAD to fast travel back to Shipwreck Beach in order to even complete the main story, and it was fine.

Yeah, one of my saves just died. Had another one in shipwreck beach so lost just an hour of gameplay. No big deal. Funny thing is I wasn't fast travelling. I was moving on to the next area and didn't make a jump causing Lara's death. While reloading to the last checkpoint game died on me and my save was impossible to load when I booted the game again.

So yeah, shipwreck beach is complete technical mess right now.

Edited by lubro

Yeaaa I was at 80%. I played the beach then got chatterbox trophy. After that I thought it yould be great if I complete all other levels till I continue and now I can not return to the beach cause there is no way from the area before it.

Any chance I can return to the beach?

Great game but this *** crash!

Luckily, I could play through the game and fast-travel post-game as much as I wanted/needed no hassle.

So - no problems here.

Same here. I was leery because I missed a relic (or something) in Shipwreck Beach, so I had to fast travel, but it worked perfectly. I tried moving between several locations and back, but never had a problem. Definitely a weird glitch...

Same here. I was leery because I missed a relic (or something) in Shipwreck Beach, so I had to fast travel, but it worked perfectly. I tried moving between several locations and back, but never had a problem. Definitely a weird glitch...

Finished Shipwreck Beach but forgot about Cliffside Bunker, it loaded just fine but I'll be very wary of every fast travel I make :whistle:

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/FfredericC.png

Didn't experience this issue.

Glad I didn't because I would have been screwed, because I fast traveled back to the beach without backing up my save (did not see this thread so I had no idea that it was a bad idea to do so).

Maybe the fixed it in a patch? Or maybe it isn't an issue on all PS4s? I just saved to all 3 slots so I won't run into it, but I'm currently sitting at 97% and didn't experience a crash when fast traveling to the beach (though my PS4 did crash at the helicopter scene).

I was on my 2nd playthrough because I miss Chatterbox, on my way to the endurance I died by falling in the water and my save file got corrupted. Only missing 1 more conversation and this happen. Didn't experience any problem on my 1st playthrough, the back up save I have is right after talking to Roth the 2nd time so it's not too bad but it's still a waste of 2-3 hrs. I know it's a small percentage of corrupted files but it something about Shipwreck Beach.