Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Tomb Raider. This thread has been created to discuss anything Tomb Raider related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. Posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread may result in a three day ban.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the story. Great showing how Lara matures into the badass survivor and killing machine. Especially when she cauterises her wound with the arrow and when she screams that she scream 'I'm going to kill all you bastards'

Brilliant game, great story. Only flaw is that you can pretty much contradict her trauma after her first kill within minutes ;)

Loved the story. Great showing how Lara matures into the badass survivor and killing machine. Especially when she cauterises her wound with the arrow and when she screams that she scream 'I'm going to kill all you bastards'

Brilliant game, great story. Only flaw is that you can pretty much contradict her trauma after her first kill within minutes ;)

Meh, fight or flight :p

Yeah, pretty much this. She's crying and everything when she shoots Vlad but next minute she's killing them all without even a second doubt :p

For anybody that was wondering who the multiplayer characters who you barely see in the game are, Liam gets shot by Vlad when he tells Lara to run. As for Steph, she got cut from the final design of the game but in the first few gameplays she was the women strung up in the cave at the very start.

Hope for some awesome single-player DLC :D

Yeah, pretty much this. She's crying and everything when she shoots Vlad but next minute she's killing them all without even a second doubt :p

For anybody that was wondering who the multiplayer characters who you barely see in the game are, Liam gets shot by Vlad when he tells Lara to run. As for Steph, she got cut from the final design of the game but in the first few gameplays she was the women strung up in the cave at the very start.

Hope for some awesome single-player DLC :D

really hoping for that single-player DLC! i was talking to my husband about the MP and saying if they wanted to make it like uncharted 2 by adding mp they could have least gave us kinda like a coop campaign/mission type thing, like let us play as the rest of the crew when they are fending off at the shipwreck beach. idk. just not more maps or MP trophies.

part of the game that got me the most is when the those dudes were kicking and punching Lara in the face! blood was spraying and i was yelling oh crap! LOL.

I'm thinking himiko is still alive somehow. I think Sam has some of her in her still.

I hope not, I want a completely new adventure in the next game.

I dont think they'll return to this story in the next game, but I did notice that the ritual was taking an AWFULLY long time. Obviously they wanted a big climactic fight scene, so it had to take at least that long, but come on Himiko, you couldn't get into Sam at ALL during that time? XD Oh well, I still thought it was fantastic, and I'm looking forward to a new adventure as well. :dance:

More than "trauma for her fist kill" I think that her reaction to that moment was caused by the extreme situation.

All survivors rounded up and killed for no happarent reason, she's trying to escape while bonded and when she's found the guy tries to kill her by choking her up close and personal with a touch of sexual attitude.

Then they fight over the gun and she is forced to pull the trigger.

The whole situation must be quite heart pounding to face. I don't see it too strange if she had a brief moment where she broke down in tears.

Killing a man is surely part of it, but I don't think they wanted to make it seems like she was crying only because she killed someone.

The best part about the story? The subtle hint to Dual wield pistols :D Too bad we only got to use them for a few seconds at the end. Talking about the ending.. It was a bit lackluster imo. Could've been better. The story itself was pretty awesome.

For some reason, I kept thinking at the end, we just activate one big lightning rod and be done with it xD

The best part about the story? The subtle hint to Dual wield pistols :D Too bad we only got to use them for a few seconds at the end. Talking about the ending.. It was a bit lackluster imo. Could've been better. The story itself was pretty awesome.

For some reason, I kept thinking at the end, we just activate one big lightning rod and be done with it xD

Haha, yeah I actually laughed when she grabbed the second pistol. :p I liked the ending personally, it could have been better I guess, but it wrapped everything up pretty nicely. I imagine the sequel will have a more climactic, possibly darker ending. That's how it seems to often go anyways.

I thought it was really good, just hope the second one is longer!

I think that Sam will be affected in some way in sequels from the ordeal that she went through!

Surely though there is no way that Himiko didn't manage to at least get a little inside her?

Also, did anyone else think that the Stormguard were just way too easy to kill?

I felt for Alex even with how stupid he was. Trying to act the hero to impress Lara yet ending up in his death. You're surrounded by a murderous cult and instead of waiting for reliable back up who you saw kicking ass in that cage, you end up being crushed by debris. And what was his reward, a mere kiss on the cheek :rofl: .

Whitman, think it was obvious for 90%(?) of the peeps he would double cross them. Man did I love seeing him get what he deserved.

The best part about the story? The subtle hint to Dual wield pistols :D

That part was great, no flips though :p. But I'll gladly take the bow over dual wielding.

Edited by mugiwara84

Also, did anyone else think that the Stormguard were just way too easy to kill?

At first I didn't even think you could kill them and that you had to sneak past them, but then you were forced to fight them.

From a story perspective they were portrayed at first as big hulking unstopable killing machines and then they ended up not being much harder then the Solari. So yes I do agree.

Just finished the game, I loved it beginning to end! A lot of awesome moments. I too knew Whitman was a bit funny, I never trusted him, oh well at least he got what he deserved, I was also expecting a better closing scene, the boat/ship scene was not enough for me and felt like was going to be more epic. Sure we know there's another tomb raider coming, but the ending doesn't make me want to get my hands on it ASAP. This game was freaking epic and was expecting en epic ending, kind of like how god of war 2 ended, but oh well, great game nonetheless.

I thought the story could have come from any tomb raider game. Lara Ian hostile environment... Some dudes trying to harness supernatural power... Ends with a boss battle against a demon type thing. However what I thought was really impressive was Lara's character development through the game. Probably the best written tomb raider I've played, and I think I've played them all. Well done crystal dynamics!

Excellent game. Gameplay, story, enviroment, the overall atmospehe... Definitely topped my expectations.

There are some gripes too though. I think there were too many ammo boxes just laying around and they respawn infinitely. I didn't get feeling that ammo was scarce. After you get pistol, I remember enemy shouting something like 'She has a gun' and trying to hide behind cover. That never happens after that part. Missed potential there.

Also the thing that I haven't seen that anyone brought up yet. Is it just me or does Lara seem kinda slow... I mean, I think it was obvious why Mathias took Sam. She mentions very early in the game that she's somewhat related to Himiko, and that the storms are related to the Sun queen. All the documents she finds suggest to all this, there's even a scene where Mathias takes Sam to fire ritual. 'Shes the one!'. But still after Sam is rescued 'I have no idea why they took her and what they want'. Duh.

Mathias' plan was pretty good and I actually expected that it would be the only way to get out of the island. Kinda hoped that Sam would become some crazy final boss, and then Lara should have killed her best friend. Didn't really care about Sam:D

I couldn't help noticing similarities to Batman Arkham Asylum. In both games you are trapped in an island, upgrade system is similar, Lara uses her bow like B-man his gadgets. And while the game is linear it still doesn't feel like that, the whole island is explorable. Overall I would score this games single player 9/10. But then there is the multiplayer. Ughh... It's just bad.

Man the monastery swing was a joke. Tried it for 30 freaking minutes and could not get her to swing, my hand was falling asleep.. Searched the net to see what I was doing wrong and noticed that I just needed to restart checkpoint. Did that and did the swing in 3 seconds ..WTF glad I wasted all that time.

I thought it was really good, just hope the second one is longer!

I think that Sam will be affected in some way in sequels from the ordeal that she went through!

Surely though there is no way that Himiko didn't manage to at least get a little inside her?

I doubt they'd visit a similar plot in a sequal, I feel it will will be something totally unrelated and don't think we'll see any of the Endurance crew again.

I loved the dual pistols too, I had a feeling we'd get a chance to use them.

Overall I'd give the game a 9/10. But that's based solely on singleplayer.

The ending was very well done. Only the queen was too easy to kill. Not sure if it changes on higher difficulty as I played on easy.

The whole game played like an interactive movie which is why I love games like this.

For the next game hope they only use Lara and none of the other characters. Or make up a team for her like in the movies.

Edited by ecto69

loved the story, but I do have a few points with it. it's often stated in the game that "old dicky croft" was right, and lara often talks about him...does this tie into the whole "legend" story, you know, with atlantis, avalon, etc? or are they going in some other direction?

I mean, since CD has been making these games, they have done a great job with the story, so I wonder if they are going to try and tie all this into each other at some point. Underworld gives us the answers to some questions, but things like the story from tomb raider 2, 3 and 4 (let's forget 5 and 6), could never tie into what lara was looking for. the reason she became a tomb raider. this game only talks about how she became a survivor, but not why she became a tomb raider, going through timeless tombs filled with riches people could only dream of, destroying everything in her path, just to find some mythical object, she ends up destroying most of the times.

in that regard, I'm still not sure what they are trying to do. loved the game, loved the story, think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and it's an instant fav on my list, but in the general line of what the story is about, I'm still not sure if this "reboot" will get a new story, or at least somewhere down the line, start to tie into the rest.

in that regard, I'm still not sure what they are trying to do. loved the game, loved the story, think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and it's an instant fav on my list, but in the general line of what the story is about, I'm still not sure if this "reboot" will get a new story, or at least somewhere down the line, start to tie into the rest.

I think it was said in an interview that this is basically a new timeline. So the might pick and choose what to take from the old games but shouldn't have to slavishly follow them.

But apart from that interview I never really saw any official word from it.