Is the HD collection worth getting?

Hey, I've seen it for quite a cheap price (£13) and it seems pretty reasonable for 3 games but I've never played tomb raider or uncharted. I love fast-paced, action games so can you guys tell me:

A) Will I enjoy the three games?

B) How many hours of gameplay will I get in total if I get every trophy?

The reason I'm asking is I see some mixed reviews.

Thank you. All help is appreciated. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tomb Raider games are amazing, Anniversary is the best for the puzzles and seems alot bigger than the others, but my favourite is Legend mainly because the music is so awsome it makes it feel epic, i love the soundtrack from the nepal level :). I thought Underworld was good aswell but alot of people say they didn't like that one.

Edited by MattyElms

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think it's worth it. But I think playing them all together is a bad idea . I mean, once you are done with one of these, play a different game and once you beat that other game, get back to another of the tomb raider games, an so on.

It's what I did because I think it could get really boring if you play too much tomb raider haha.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Definitely worth it! I had already completed and platinumed Underworld before the Trilogy was released but i really liked Underworld and hadn't played the others so i bought the trilogy. I'm only getting round to them now and i've just completed Legend and enjoyed it so much!

To the poster above, i'm completed Legend and i'm playing Anniversary back to back and i'm not bored at all! I'm just starting the Lost Island!

Deinitely worth, only playing them now makes me really feellike i've missed out! The new Tomb Raider is what really got me playing them in anticipation for when i get the new game!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tomb Raider games are amazing... I thought Underworld was good as well but a lot of people say they didn't like that one.

What? Didn't they enjoy watching a "swimsuited" Lara Croft "climb the columns" in Yggdrasil? :dance: ;)

I'm playing Legend at the moment (England), finished Underworld last year as a stand alone game and I think the graphics were better for obvious reasons. I like them all despite this "batch" in the series being my first TR games I've played.

After this, I'm going for the TR reboot!

----

Just glad that Anniversary is getting good reviews in here as I am afraid that it will be the longest one I'll be playing for being the "hardest of the three"... this is encouraging, I'm gonna hit it right after platting Legend :)

Edited by Naps

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went back into working on the last two trophies in Anniversary - the time trial (TT) on Greece and Egypt. I just nailed the Lost Island TTs and if not for the clunky controls and stubborn "camera" things wouldn't be so hard.

I've decided to go for the Lost Island before the others (suggested by the guide) as I got stuck in Midas' Palace with all those gorillas and lions hell bent on stopping you on your tracks. The golden shotgun (one shot kill) should be really helpful in getting these done.

The max retries I had were about 5-6 and I shamefully have to admit wanting to smash the telly at every failure. It can be so frustrating (and stressful) at times when you seem to have a Lara Croft who's either too stubborn or deaf! Kidding aside, the controls in Legend and Anniversary are so "primitive", and Underworld seems to be the only one among the three with "polished" and responsive controls.

Nonetheless, clunky controls or not - this game is a must have for any Tomb Raider fan. But I would have to agree with zzamaro on taking a break in between TR games. My reason though would be more of giving your mind a rest from all the "anger" (and stress) that may come out of the experience playing this game - rather than boredom.

All "campaign" games are superb, it's just the time trials you have to watch out for particularly Anniversary. It's the longest of the three and it will definitely test your patience... well actually it's more like draining it than just testing!

Edited by Naps

Just one more to go: Sanctuary of Scion. I hope this one isn't a bitch like the Obelisk of Khamoon! I read somewhere in the forum that quite a few players struggle at this level (they were right about that). I seemingly ended up having tourettes (once again) while playing this freakin' level.

It's so unresponsive and stubborn when you know for sure you're pressing the right buttons. Who would have thought that tap :triangle: and hold-press :triangle: have different effects (the difference between a restart and a successful run). I had about 10-13 retries/restarts for slightly missing out on taps and timing. This level is undoubtedly doable... BUT heck it's a major migraine in the making.

I've also noticed that the video walkthroughs on YouTube are mostly PC versions. Which drives me to the conclusion that the controls on the PC are probably more responsive compared to its console counterparts (particularly the PS3)...

Just sharing which part of the level may be a bit problematic. Whoever did this video by the way is relentless and somewhat flawless!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLx4dns0Uw]TRA - Obelisk of Khamoon 8:55 - YouTube[/ame]

1:09-1:11: The jump from here is "moody", as even Stella (of the TR walkthrough website) cautions you about this. Sometimes you'll nail it, and most of the time Lara seemingly has sticky armpits and refuses to reach out for the ledge! Comedy, I know right! At this point, it's better to do a restart if you managed to fall over twice. Probably save yourself about a minute or so if you just start over.

1:47-1:48.5: Sometimes, no matter how you correctly tap :cross: hold-press :triangle: (combo) you end up with a sticky-armpit Lara again!

1:53-1:56: Good if you landed this on the first try. I found out that a tap on :cross: and immediately hold-press :triangle: works best here after the grapple swing :square:

2:38-3:15: For obvious and practical reasons, falling down to the mote means a restart.

4:08-4:12: Holy shit THAT was a shortcut! Didn't know about that! You'd probably save about 10-12 seconds here! So yeah, there you go!

4:33-4:39: For me was tricky as Lara would not turn at 4:36 to get the second grapple-swing. In the PS3 (at least for me) the camera view would stick on Lara's head, so I had to adjust the view to see her whole body from an above angle before doing the vault. It worked for me.

5:08: This makes commons sense as you end up nearest to the ladder. I did the method featured in the guide's video (jumping off on the right side) which means I would have to waste a few seconds swimming and running just to reach the ladder. Saves about 4 seconds if you do the 5:08...

6:06-6:08: This shortcut is important, though not unknown.

At 6:33, I probably had about 6 minutes (plus) to spare - well I made mistakes quite a few times BUT this is just enough to get you through the end... for as long as you do not commit errors. My advice, you've come this far so don't rush unnecessarily and time your jumps perfectly. I'd rather lose 2-3 seconds from waiting than 8-10 seconds to load up a checkpoint.

6:43-6:50: The return trip is somewhat trickier than the first time. The 6:49 ledge-grab can be moody at times. I remember missing it despite a good tap :cross: hold-press :triangle: combo.

After taking the 4 (artifact) keys and jumping off the mote, you must have at least 2:00 minutes in spare time to beat the time trials. It is absolutely important to have the Golden Shotgun (one shot) from the beginning, so starting the Lost Island time trials first would be best (as suggested by the guide). Think of all the hassle you'd have to put up with the lions, panthers, crocs, mummies, centurion (guardians), gorillas and those annoying little rats that come along the way.

The Obelisk of Khamoon may be the most challenging part on your way to the platinum... though others say it's St. Francis Folley... Nevertheless, I hope somehow this helps...

Edited by Naps

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...