Central Shaft Survivor issues

I was dreading this one before I got there so I followed what was said in the guide and saved at each platform when I got a checkpoint. When Lara was about to die I would pause the game and quickly load my last save before she died...but after making it all the way up the trophy didn't pop!

Not sure why it didn't count because she never officially died since I paused before it happened and loaded the game. Anyone got any advice on this one? Do you have to quit to xmb when she dies or is it just screwed if you die at all?

Fuck this. Unbelievably pissed right now at this glitch fest. You can't save without playing the entire game through to that point again, otherwise you have to replay the entire fucking level over again in replay because there is no save feature.

Bullshit, fuck this game.

There is no One-Hit Kill, unless you're referring to the Golden Shotgun, which I personally dislike using during the Central Shaft segment. Why? Range and firing rate. If you don't have ethics towards cheats, just activate Infinite HP and you should be fine :whistle:

1-hit kill is only in TR Legend and Underworld.

Edited by Eye Beams

There is no One-Hit Kill, unless you're referring to the Golden Shotgun, which I personally dislike using during the Central Shaft segment. Why? Range and firing rate. If you don't have ethics towards cheats, just activate Infinite HP and you should be fine :whistle:

1-hit kill is only in TR Legend and Underworld.

Pedantic much? The Golden Shotgun is, funnily enough, one shot kill.

Wellll sorryyy >_<; When you asked "will one-shot work on this?" I thought you specifically meant a cheat that works universally with any firearm in Lara's possession... But like I said, Silver SMGs (cheat weapon) rock because, for the most part, the gargs are far away when they emerge and you'll want to eliminate them ASAP before they start the fireball party, especially if you're doing the speed run. :fire:And it's quicker to spray/reset those timer button thingies without having to switch back-and-forth between weapons (GS can't reach them). But if you prefer GS, then please go right ahead.

Edited by Eye Beams

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Finally got it yesterday along with the plat. I had to end up doing it all in one run during replay level, still not sure if saving at the checkpoints and loading works.

If I remember correctly I got this one by saving at each checkpoint, and when I died I loaded my saved file. I don't really want to confirm it since it's been a while since I played that game.

• 2 weeks later...
If I remember correctly I got this one by saving at each checkpoint, and when I died I loaded my saved file. I don't really want to confirm it since it's been a while since I played that game.

This didn't work for me, but I wouldn't doubt it works for some. The only place I was really having trouble was from the ledge where you jump and swing from one ring to another. I finally realized after the first swing there was a small slanted landing that i could jump to first and then immediately jump to the next ring.

• 4 months later...

During my game play thru...I saved at each check point...reloaded when I needed to...and the trophy didn't pop. So after finishing the game...I started going backwards through my saves (thinking maybe I just missed reloading) and wouldn't have to do the whole shaft again. But after backtracking through all the checkpoints...it still didn't pop. I even tried from the entrance of the shaft (from my save file) and re-saved at each checkpoint and still nothing. So I just went on...

I like to do an easy playthru before doing a time run...to remember how to do each level and see what I can skip. When I started the great pyramid...I forgot all about the two cats and bird knocking me back into the lava when I initially did the level. So I re-loaded a save file from the very start of that level...ran past the cats and bird and climbed the ladder...killed the birds upstairs and did the central shaft...saving at each check point and reloading when I needed to. And got the trophy to pop. Not sure if I had a bad save at the very bottom of the shaft or you need to not die from the beginning of the level until the top of the shaft.

Also of note...from the next to last ledge to the top...I didn't kill the birds...just shot the ring...grappled twice and got out of there.

• 4 weeks later...

What I did was this:

1. Never died once during the entire level up to the shaft, including the inital fight with the winged animals

2. Saved at every single checkpoint in a different save slot

3. If I happen to fall off the platform, I would quickly press "start" and quit to the main menu before actually dying

4. Load up the latest save file and continue from there

5. Trophy should pop once you reah the highest platform

And yes, I did it on my first playthrough on hardest difficulty.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have autosave on, you will get a save at each checkpoint which are on every platform. If you are going to die or fall off the platform, pause game, exit to main menu, continue game. No need to hassle with save files, but you need to be quick enough to pause game if you are going to die.

This works for other similar trophies as well.

• 1 month later...

I just went through this part yesterday. I did the save at every checkpoint system and it did not pop. I loaded back up the save that was the beginning of the level. This time I made sure to not die when fighting the 2 cat mummy things and the bird. This was the only difference between my first try and the second since I died multiple times in each once I got to the platforms. I loaded my most recent save on each. The one where I died and continued in in the level before getting to the central shaft did not pop the trophy. The one where I did not die in the beginning popped the trophy.

TL;DR version, it seems like it is from the beginning of the level until the end of the central shaft. You need to make sure you do not continue on the early fight in the level before making it to the central shaft.

• 11 months later...

Just got this one a while ago. I'm playing the "Trilogy" version and I'm surprised to read how this part had not work for some players. I guess Square Enix had a few bug fixes when they remastered the game.

I made sure I saved before I did the "climb" and made a separate save file at checkpoint :whistle:. I did not do (nor did I knew that I had to do it this way) the "pause-reload-save file" method as mentioned here. I just made a save after reaching the next save point, as suggested by this guide. I kinda ran out of ammo with the other weapons so it was Lara's basic duals that I had to rely on.

YES, the playthrough was rigged with "confused" aim-prompts as almost half of the time it went for the "switches" - annoying, infuriating and frustrating part... then there is the "stubborn Lara" involvement as well, who deserved every single bit of the horrible death she got :D But after trying for an hour or so reloading previous "updated" saves, I finally got the trophy!

If you're reading this now and are about to play the game, always create save files before a "trophy-based" scene. I have missed (or wasn't paying too much attention earlier thinking it would be like the Legend "saving style") 2 trophies: doing the Lima puzzle without dying, and the Hephaestus lightning puzzle without dying. Here I was thinking I could create a mid-level game save which was not the case. The game doesn't even have a NG+, just Level Select without mid-level saves. Bummer, now I have to do a flawless run to get these ones done. I know it's doable, but a specific area game save really would have made my life easier.

Edited by Naps

• 6 years later...

What a horrible trophy indeed. Best way to me seems to use the silver SMG cheat to get rid quickly of the gorgoyles... That is, if Lara is willing to f*king AIM at them and not at the damn switches.

I also got very pissed at the occasional no-landing upon one of the slopes...

This trophy feels very glitchy-lucky based and is a pain in the ass.