One of the worst games I've ever played

HeartlessNinny

I really liked this game at first, but my god. What a mess. I don't even know where to start.

How about how resources become scarce at random? I've had animals literally starve to death before they see something to eat. I check the map and I make a beeline to some nourishment, but this idiotic game decides that all of a sudden there won't be any plants/prey anywhere. Nothing. Can someone explain to me what the point of this is?

How about how if I want to play as more than a goddamn pomeranian I have to complete some challenges. What challenges, you might ask? I'd like to know too. This game certainly won't tell you. Just go complete challenges! What else do you need to know?

Playing the story is little better. Go find some random maguffins! Maybe they'll be around, maybe they won't. Just go find them. What, they're in an area with no resources and you can't possibly get them without dying in the process? Too bad! Never mind the fact that most games have the story as something that is the centerpiece, not something you have to unlock.

So, if I want to know what happens plot-wise in this awful, awful game, I have to replay the same goddamn area about 300 times before I have the privilege. This is so stupid I can hardly believe it. Why not just let me play the story on my own? Why do I have to replay the same f***ing areas over and over again to unlock it? This is just a download game, not a magnum opus.

This game is an utter piece of crap. No offense, but I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would rate it more than about 2/10. The worst part is I think it would be a ton of fun -- hunting other beasties is amusing -- but the trappings are so stupid, so braindead, that it beggars belief. A blind guy with Down's Syndrome could design a better game than this. Whoever made it should be ashamed of themselves.

The challenges to unlock each animal are described when you try and select a locked animal. Each animal will be unlocked by another animal's challenges, usually going up the food chain (i.e. cats unlock dogs, dogs unlock wolves...something like that). It makes sense when you see it in-game.

And as for unlocking the story, just go straight for the USB sticks. I don't remember having to replay many times to be able to progress through the story.

I will agree that the game is frustrating sometimes, and really cheap like you said with the food a lot of times. But I still really enjoyed it, despite the flaws. I guess everyone has different tastes and this game definitely appeals to a specific gamer.

I managed to figure out how to unlock other animals. I have to admit I'm still disappointed though.

There's just so much repetition, and it just seems so needless to me. Why not give me some more variety at the beginning? Why do I have to start in the same area, doing the same things over and over, listening to the same music?

And how many types of dog does this game need? I've already unlocked the pomeranian, the retriever, and one or two others. I really love dogs (I have two of my own and I love them to death), but this is just pointless. It takes forever to get to the new stuff.

I should say that I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of this game. There is something about it that is appealing, but it's just so badly executed. I'm very surprised at the amateurish level of design. I think this really could have been something if someone had bothered to think it through. As it is, it's an interesting diversion -- nothing more.

I understand your frustrations with this game, but don't agree with you on everything. I do feel the game misses a few tricks with what is an excellent beginning premise, but overall I enjoyed playing something that is different to the games out there. Sure it isn't perfect, but at least there are developers out there making something a bit new, hopefully Tokyo Jungle 2 (or some other city Jungle - Seoul Jungle??) will make good on the promise of this game.

The music is utterly terrible. 100% agreed. Plus, I didn't like having to collect stuff to play the next act, stupid design flaw there.

That's true, it certainly is something different. Personally, I couldn't forgive the rather tedious repetition, but as I said I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying it.

I think one of the reasons it bothered me so much was because it was something I found very interesting, but the gameplay itself was a real grind. Nothing is worse than unmet expectations, after all. ;)

Personally i loved the game and found the concept of the challenges and story files easy to grasp. I was unlocking new animals and story chapters early and easy.

I can see how it can be a frustrating game to some because the game industry has flooded the market with games that follow the SAME guidelines over and over. I like that Tokyo Jungle just basicly let you discover how to advance and unlock new features because too often games handhold players as if they are mentally ill lol

Sometimes i found myself wanting to be kill because i had completed the challenges within the first 15 years but was on my 60th year. I wanted to be killed rather than committing suicide just to see how far i can make it with every animal specially the herbivorous ones. I loved the game and only wish we had more tittles like this one.

• 2 weeks later...

The only part im disliking is that I cant seem to unlock any animals. Ive got the cat but the rest of the events are with lions or other big animals which you cant do crap against with a pomerarian or deer... ive done survival probably more than 30 times and its getting old now, i just cant seem to get any good events and when i do their on the other side of the map and are gone when i get there...

The only part im disliking is that I cant seem to unlock any animals. Ive got the cat but the rest of the events are with lions or other big animals which you cant do crap against with a pomerarian or deer... ive done survival probably more than 30 times and its getting old now, i just cant seem to get any good events and when i do their on the other side of the map and are gone when i get there...

If you can survive 30 years then you shouldnt have any problems unlocking new animals.

What i ALWAYS did (if you are just trying to focus on unlocking new animals) is to JUST concentrate on unlocking the animal challenges as soon as possible preferably before year 15. As soon as you start DON'T DO ANYTHING (mark/hunt/eat) before pressing :start: and checking the 1st set challenges for years 1-10 and concentrate on those challenges since the animal challenges usually require you to 1st complete 3+ or so challenges and sometimes a change of generations to unlock. Requirements always change so you must be very vigilant of what must be accomplish and if you are vigilant then you should be unlocking animals before year 20 the latest and then you can just die and move on to the next animal.

Aye, if you're having problems getting the animal unlocks to trigger, when you start just see what is required for the event to start. For small animals it's typically 2 challenges completed and 1 generation change. For the medium animals it is 4 challenges and 2 generation changes.

I always plan to do all the E challenges no matter what and finish them off with a generation change. Worse case scenario, at least I get some stat upgrades in case I fail the unlock. Then I just go for the unlock - The trickiest one I had, must have been the Cheetah unlock. It is so easy to get swarmed trying to single out the boss for a clean attack sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is an utter piece of crap. No offense, but I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would rate it more than about 2/10. The worst part is I think it would be a ton of fun -- hunting other beasties is amusing -- but the trappings are so stupid, so braindead, that it beggars belief. A blind guy with Down's Syndrome could design a better game than this. Whoever made it should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe try to play the game with a friend (I mean co-op)? I was playing multiplayer for a while and it was really enjoying - especially at the beginning when neither my friend nor I known anything about the game and were simply running around and killing all other animals crossing our path. :D

Personaly, I really enjoy Tokyo Jungle, even when I'm playing the Survival Mode alone all over again just to unlock new animal and grind some points.

I'm not sure what HN expected here, but Tokyo Jungle is essentially a roguelike which wasn't that big a secret, either. It will bust your balls over and over again much like NetHack did, and beating the odds is part of the charm.

The only thing I'm missing in the game is randomized maps, which would only make it harder to beat. Oh, and compared to how long it will take to beat the game it definitely deserves more trophies. And a plat!

Guess we'll stay away from this one.

Why? Its a pretty good game, to me anyway. Id recommend it but dont go into it thinking that it will have great graphics and other things. The gameplay is good fun but pretty much every other aspect is under par for this generation. Although the gameplay makes up for it imo, it will get repetitive so you should take breaks and just play the game when you want, do go hardcore for trophies. Its the kind of game thats good to play here and there when your bored of your current game.

Edited by LukeyCow

• 1 year later...

Best, most original game I've picked up in a long time. For $0.99 it can't be topped either. The challenge is the draw for me, difficulty makes games worth playing not the other way around... Probably why I like Demon Souls

• 1 year later...

It's a nice game with a good concept. I understand your frustration when it seems there is no food or plants to be eaten but it makes the game hard and fun. If you can't find any food in the nearest areas, use your stockpile or don't worry and let your animal die, his brother will continue the game. It's all about strategy: If you have many brothers, a good stock of food on your inventory and play calmly, you'll be able to deal with the odds and live longer.

The thing I absolutely hated in this game is the lack of checkpoints on the story mode. I remember an act with the hyena which you have to walk slowly through a long sewer and if you die, you had to walk all that damn path again.

• 4 months later...

Lol I understand the frustration of thinking you're good at video games and landing on one that seems like it'll be a fun walk in the park but ends up throwing in your face the fact that you're not actually as good of a gamer as you made yourself believe. But being bitter towards a video game because you suck at it is no way of going at it. I've been having a gay old time playing Tokyo Jungle with my girlfriend. Something else I'd imagine a person would lack when they're so easily set off by a video game...

And to anyone who thinks this game is "a piece of crap" and you think someone could do better: I challenge you to find someone who can and have them make it. Not "a game" that's better but instead this game made better. Gooooood luck, fool.

Edited by ToxicRequiem

• 1 year later...

This was a game that really grew on me personally. Though I agree it can be confusing initially due to how unique of a game it is, once you understand the mechanics and get to grips with the controls, it's a really rewarding experience. The story mode also had me laughing at various points because of how crazy the different scenarios are!

However if I could change a few things about the game, it would be to maybe make story mode available without having to go back to survival mode after every chapter. And also I didn't really like the animal unlocking system, but then I didn't have any great desire to play as other animals myself (I can see why this system might be frustrating for others that would want to try other animals out though).

• 7 years later...

Not the worse game out there, in fact I find it quite enjoyable

Initially thought of this as being something similar to a SIMS Pets game, only to find out that it is actually a survival game - but with animals for the characters instead of a human.  At least it is not just another one of those zombies survival games. 

That 'cute animals' effect surely fooled me to underestimate this game as being very easy.  Easy to understand the mechanics, yes... but it is anything but that.  There is still a lot of luck and RNG involved when playing this game.  It is just so simple to get distracted or to miscalculate things which usually leads to avoidable deaths. 

This game is definitely meant to be played for multiple playthroughs, at least for Survival mode.  Surely this is going to take me some time to attain 100% completion.

The controls are fine though and game mechanics are quite interesting.  No one will ever hear me complain about that, although its novelty value can quickly dissipate after a while... especially when we keep dying a lot.

EDIT: 04.03.2024

Completed the game just a while ago. I can truly say that the game is actually good, I love it... except for Act 14 - the final boss fight, that one is pure ass!

Edited by Naps
... in the end, I actually fell in love with this game...