Tips & Tricks

Nameless600

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been doing nothing but playing this game for over a week now and I recently just got the 100%. I feel as though we wasted some time getting the 100% and could have sped things up had we known a few things about the game going in. So I wanted to create a post that highlighted a few things you may have not known, or may want to review before/during your play-through. These are in no order, but numbered for ease of reading.

1. Story mode unlocks through survival mode. Basically you need to play a round of survival, get the archive records (look like SD cards on the mini-map), die, and the next story mission will unlock. Then, you need to beat the story mission before the next set of records appear in survival mode. So basically, do this. Survival run, story mission, survival run, story mission, etc. Make sure you do this or you will be doing several survival runs just to unlock more story missions.

2. Two powerful creatures (Spoiler so won't say) unlock from completing the final story mission. These two are extremely powerful (more powerful than almost any other animal) but cost 500,000 and 980,000 respectively. It is up to you if you would like to save up and take this route or not.

3. Be aware of the equip-able items you get and how they work. Each one has a set durability. This does not decrease over years or by attacking, but instead by being hit. For the Furry Fashionista trophy, it is imperative to save them and do not use them in your first few survival runs. The guide states that the "pet" set is the easiest one to get. For me, that wasn't the case. I had the hip-hop set for awhile, and didn't even realize it. Use this doc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av0Aw2nvg4O1dGI1dXI2cXhjbnVxWXJSeTRhUW80QUE#gid=4 to help guide you. (Thanks to Kiryen on gamefaqs for this)

4. Each time you play as an animal, the stats gained during generations roll over. That being said, you can make even the weakest animals (in my case it was a beagle) into very powerful creatures. Although I recommend exploring to figure out which one you like best, be aware of this fact and if you are having trouble completing the 100 years trophy, its a classic way to make the game easier.

5. After completing all challenges you get a chest piece called tuxedo. This not only makes your animal very dapper, but gives a boost of 100 health, 20 attack/defense, 50 stamina and 50 hunger. Don't be afraid to use this, especially when wasting time for your 100 years trophy. It will make life a lot simpler. However, refer to number 4 for more information about durability, so be careful.

6. If an item breaks, you can re-buy it (usually overpriced, but available none the less) in the store. It can not only help with Furry Fashionista, but if you find a really nice item (such as the tuxedo) it can make life simpler.

7. Do not let the laws of nature as we know them rule you. Small animals (such as a retriever) can in fact 1 shot a lion and tiger. Be careful as they can beat you in a one on one fight, however if you are able to evade or clean kill them (stealth kill) they are easily taken down. Try killing each animal this way and learn what you can and cannot kill with a given animal. Don't let real life cloud your judgement.

8. Once you pick up a female, they will follow you until you mate or until they are killed. This means that if an area is a bit to dangerous, or you are able to find a prime mate with several good years still left on your animal, you can put them in your "pack" until you want to use them. They also do attack along with you (although the packs attacking are pretty useless).

9. Using larger animals makes hunting/survival a lot easier. However, understand that they not only require a much large number of calories (about 2000 vs. 500) to level up (Veteran/Boss status) than the smaller counterparts. As well, the challenges on a larger animal are usually more difficult than the lower ones and require more difficult tasks. This doesn't mean that one way or the other is necessarily better, just be aware of this fact and make the decision for yourself.

10. You do not have to unlock any new animals in order to continue on the story. You just need to do what is mentioned in #1. By doing this, you can save money and possibly have enough to unlock the powerful animals mentioned in #2. However, do remember that in order to unlock the large animals (not including the 2 in story mode) you need to unlock a large number of survival animals and complete their challenges (Around 10 animals before your first "big" animal). (Credit to garnsr)

11. Some animals (mainly chicks, lions, and tigers) begin as a cub after each mating session. These cubs require signifcantly less Kcal count than their adult counterparts, however, they are very weak and they cannot mate. In order to mate, you will need to sleep first. Once they grow up, they will be able to find a mate and reproduce. (Credit to the_ENEMY_

I will possibly add more later, but hope this helps!

Nameless600

Edited by Nameless600

It looks like every time you play a new story section the next time you play survival has the cards to unlock the next story section. So, it looks to me like you could theoretically play all the story sections without unlocking any animals, just playing pomeranian, if you play story every time you unlock it, then go back to survival to get the next set of cards for story. I can't see why you'd want to keep from getting the big, cool animals as you go, but you could do that. The story is pretty interesting if you read the archives as you get them.

do you know which creatures require "sleep" to switch from children to adults?

I know most of the big animals do, and it can be detrimental to survival. I am looking for the best animal that does not require this to boost their stats. Ones with the best speed of course.

edit: looks like the dinos do not need to go through childhood, and they don't slow down in tall grass. the only downside is they can't enter train cars and have trouble reaching some sidewalk areas. runner up would be cheetah for its lower KCAL intake to become boss and ability to navigate more terrain.

Edited by theENEMY

do you know which creatures require "sleep" to switch from children to adults?

I know most of the big animals do, and it can be detrimental to survival. I am looking for the best animal that does not require this to boost their stats. Ones with the best speed of course.

edit: looks like the dinos do not need to go through childhood, and they don't slow down in tall grass. the only downside is they can't enter train cars and have trouble reaching some sidewalk areas. runner up would be cheetah for its lower KCAL intake to become boss and ability to navigate more terrain.

The only one I know for sure is the chick -.-. However, However I played up until bear/black panther and shortly after gazelle/porcupine on my playthroughs. Chick was the only one that needed sleep to grow up. When you first mate your animal is small, and timid. However over the span of the next 2 years (my girlfriend is also a firm believer that food makes it faster) the animal will grow to its full size.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, or missed a huge chunk of the game, but that's about as much as I know. If you wanna describe what you meant or if I did miss something please repost, I'd love to add it to the list.