Ulik?

I've had this game over a week now (Australian copy) and am finding the boss battles to be ridiculously hard (even on regular difficulty).

Can someone give me a strategy for fighting Ulik?

I've been hitting him with power moves until the grapple icon appears, then I'll grapple him, after which he will jump up on the ledge on the other side of the room and throw large canisters at me which I reverse and throw back at him. I can do this three times before my health gives out. :mad:

On a side note: Has anyone noticed that a lot of the time when you fight a boss for the first time you can hit them with everything you've got over and over again but the grapple icon never comes up, and you end up dying?:confused:

Sometimes I can hit them with 10 power moves and nothing happens. :eek:

I'll die, restart the fight, hit them once or twice with a power move and THEN the grapple icon appears. :think:

This is insanely frustrating for me, it's like the game is programmed to be invincible on occasions.

I thought Ulik is bad, until I fought the next end boss after him, he is a big cheat compared to Ulik, you fight him on a tiny island and he just loves spamming AoE attacks, plus his trigger scene leaves you vulnerable for one attack after it's done, like Thor can't move yet he can, he should be lying on the ground after I slammed a giant lightning hammer into his head, yet he's still on his feet and right in front of you, how is that even possible XP

im on valahalla difficulty beat all bosses but mangog and i came close to it just came up a bit short.

ulik

he has 2-3 different attakcs

run at you and swing

ground pound

and throw cannisters.

1. stay away from him unless you got lighting storm then invite him in and blast him.

2. always grapple when you wear him down

3. when he runs at you dash away then hit square, square, R2 dont worry about the first 2 suare buttons hitting him but when you hit R2 you will throw your hammer it will be fused with lightning it will stun him no you can dash in and hit him with a combo attack. then dash away again

4. when he ground pounds jump and move outa the way, then throw hammer at him and get a couple (1-2) hits

5. when he jumps up and throws cannister just dash outa the way so he misses. then he'll jump back down . whne he jumps back down a radial blast happens. easy way to avoid it. when he jumps down you jump up and hit square square square so that you stay in the air then hit R2 to throw hammer at him.

hope this helps you. and by the way the bosses only get tougher after this guy.;)

• Like 1

had more trouble on Surtur than Mangog, I guess since I found no grapple points during the second fight with Surtur, there might have been some but I was more focused of dodging his meteors, fire walls and double fire waves, Mangog was pretty much lure him in, dodge his swipes and wait for the right time to strike until a grapple point popped up, rinse and repeat, each phase was alittle different, but he only changed up a bit, think the hardest part will be getting enough power surges to break him on Vahallan mode during the final phase of the fight, though only died once on him so hopefully with increased health you can last longer

im on valhalla difficulty i can get to the third stage everytime but health is down

stage 1 easy can beat stage 1 w/out being hit

stage 2 random sometimes i come out ok sometimes im almost dead it's real hard timing those fireballs back

and third stage he throws fire and atatcks on ground

i got to the 2nd loki help attack, but im so far down in health it's not funny

edit

ok ok i got it, i get the third stage ok platty is mine

Edited by DISCOKING

• 1 year later...

ulik can be beaten even on valhallan in a very easy way, just use L2 + R2 (buzzsaw throw) on him and when he gets stunned pound him with R3+R2 (aimed throw aka hammer throw) and when you run out of odin force keep pounding with R2 (quick throw aka regular hammer)

rinse and repeat the above, get the QTEs right and this baby goes down without breaking any sweat :cool:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I've had this game over a week now (Australian copy) and am finding the boss battles to be ridiculously hard (even on regular difficulty).

Can someone give me a strategy for fighting Ulik?

I've been hitting him with power moves until the grapple icon appears, then I'll grapple him, after which he will jump up on the ledge on the other side of the room and throw large canisters at me which I reverse and throw back at him. I can do this three times before my health gives out. :mad:

On a side note: Has anyone noticed that a lot of the time when you fight a boss for the first time you can hit them with everything you've got over and over again but the grapple icon never comes up, and you end up dying?:confused:

Sometimes I can hit them with 10 power moves and nothing happens. :eek:

I'll die, restart the fight, hit them once or twice with a power move and THEN the grapple icon appears. :think:

This is insanely frustrating for me, it's like the game is programmed to be invincible on occasions.

I am having the same difficulty - it doesn't help when you are suffering from RSI which is what you get with this damned game!

The Bradygames guide states that you will not beat him with simple melee attacks. Evidently you have to dodge him and use Thunder Trench attacks from his sides.

Avoid the shock waves sent out by him thumping the ground by running into open space and if you are far enough to his side jump and Mjolnir Burst over the shock wave lines to get the drop on him.

Continue damaging Ulik until you stun him then approach and grapple. Thor and Ulik enter a struggle. Rapidly mash the Melee Attack button to win the first grapple severely reducing Ulik's health. You have to grapple him three times more, (surprise, surprise!), using specific button commands to win the battle.

That isn't the end however, (surprise, surprise again!). After the successful grapple, Ulik leaps to the upper level and hurls a power core at you. Dodge or block this, but if you can reflect it. If you don't Ulik jumps down and releases a big force wave than you can only avoid by Mjolnir Bursting over.

I haven't got this far but evidently it becomes easier to grapple him after this and you can hit him with hammer throws until you stun him again, then you go in and grapple him, (again). To win the second grapple you have to rotate the Left Stick rapidly to take him down. He then jumps up again and chucks another power core at you, (again, yawn, yawn).

Damage him again a little more triggering a third grapple where all you have to do is press the Power Attack Button, (the Triangle button on PS3), to trigger. An "Asgardian Pile Driver" whatever that is! Then just keep hitting him and hoping he loses more health. All of the ensuing grapples evidently take the form of Asgardian Pile Drivers.

When finally, after hours and hours of button mashing and when your wrists are finally about to give in, if you haven't snapped your controller, Ulik's health is down to zero, damage him a bit more, grapple following the screen prompts for the correct button presses in order to finish him off. Repeatedly tap the Block Button, then the Melee, then Block a few more times then Melee again to end the battle. If you mess up the timing, (IF - what are they trying to say?), you can trigger another grapple with a simple hammer throw.

So there you are - easy as that! My Arse!

Two pages those instructions are spread over and you are supposed to remember all of that!

As I said in as many words - crap game!

Let me know if you find a simpler method so that I can save my time and sanity!

ulik can be beaten even on valhallan in a very easy way, just use L2 + R2 (buzzsaw throw) on him and when he gets stunned pound him with R3+R2 (aimed throw aka hammer throw) and when you run out of odin force keep pounding with R2 (quick throw aka regular hammer)

rinse and repeat the above, get the QTEs right and this baby goes down without breaking any sweat :cool:

I just want to get this one out of the way now as I feel I have spent far too long on it and I have bigger better games I want to advance to. I guess I am too much of a completionist!

The operations you describe on the harder Valhalan setting -are they equally effective on the easier mode? That's where I'm at!

I just want to get this one out of the way now as I feel I have spent far too long on it and I have bigger better games I want to advance to. I guess I am too much of a completionist!

The operations you describe on the harder Valhalan setting -are they equally effective on the easier mode? That's where I'm at!

on the easy run i fought with ulik the hard way, i discovered the method that i'd given above on the second run on the valhallan so i can't confirm if it works on easy as well, especially that it may not be possible to purchase buzzthrow upgrade which is crucial to stunning him which leaves him open for the pounding and keeping him at a safe distance making this fight ridiculously easy

from what i can vaguely remeber on easy i took my time winding around the flames and taking his health down whenever possible till getting QTEs became possible

Hi AnnMaRou,

I managed to do it at last!

It seems that I wasn't performing the alternate mashing of the L2 and Melee buttons in the proper timed way.

Once I had that down I managed to finish Ulik at long last.

I am down in the caves now having trouble doing the second jump which I can't seem to do. The first one is OK with being able to have a run at it but the second is proving troublesome!

You know the one I mean? It's the one where you have to wait for the vertical fire beams to stop before you jump.

hey Barneyboy sorry i haven't seen your post sooner

congrats on beating ulik! :applause:

i know which part you're talking about because i had problems there too

the game mechanics over there are horrible and also the given space is very tight, a little step too far back or forward and you end up dying :mad:

i hope that you managed to get it right since you posted but if not just keep trying to find the right spot by very slight adjustments of your position, stand in the middle and nudge as far back to the edge as you can without falling, make sure you're facing straight ahead without being at an angle and then do the running jump

hey Barneyboy sorry i haven't seen your post sooner

congrats on beating ulik! :applause:

i know which part you're talking about because i had problems there too

the game mechanics over there are horrible and also the given space is very tight, a little step too far back or forward and you end up dying :mad:

i hope that you managed to get it right since you posted but if not just keep trying to find the right spot by very slight adjustments of your position, stand in the middle and nudge as far back to the edge as you can without falling, make sure you're facing straight ahead without being at an angle and then do the running jump

Hi AnnMaRou,

Yes I managed to find my way!

I am now back in Asgard and it certainly doesn't get any easier does it!

I am up against the Frost Goliath with hardly any Asgard Moral and I don't know how to increase it to even up the odds.

I feel that is the only way forward with this section otherwise you run out of time and fail everytime. I only have enough on the meter to perform probably one grapple and then I get the announcement!

Any more tips here?

I have been following a video series produced on YouTube which has helped but he stopped at this very point and quit - he obviously had had enough!

I have picked up on another now (maholoadventure), but again their meter seems a lot higher than mine giving them a better chance of survival.

I am up against the Frost Goliath with hardly any Asgard Moral and I don't know how to increase it to even up the odds.

I feel that is the only way forward with this section otherwise you run out of time and fail everytime. I only have enough on the meter to perform probably one grapple and then I get the announcement!

first of all i hope you made a manual save when you first arrived to the Palace so you have something to fall back on when things go bad or to be able to experiment with order of completing certain sections

here's a very good video that explains the strategy for each section [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbDLP-MeaQ&feature=player_embedded]flawless defense[/ame]

not knowing if you have made a manual save or which sections you have completed and which not it's a bit hard to fully evaluate your situation and advise

if you have a manual save:

best do the drill section first because it's a hard one and consumes a lot of morale or do the defense of ramparts to boost morale and then go for the drill part

next you will want to do the first defense of the horn because it's very easy and blowing the horn will boost your morale a lot compensating for whatever you had lost on the drill section and giving you that enough extra for the goliath

then go for the frost goliath, this guy takes a long time to beat even when you do the expedite method which is forgetting about odin force and health bonus, instead take his arms off asap with :triangle: during the grapple QTEs

also important thing is when you get him stunned for the first time use the grapple point at his back! that way he won't regenerate his armor which cuts down the battle time which otherwise would take way too long

problem with goliath is there's no means to gain morale and the gain from defeating him is lesser to what you have to lose during the fight with him no matter how quick you'd be - basically that section is a backstabber :mad:

by following the above steps you should have some (or half) of the morale left when you go for the second defense of the horn.

the key to the 2nd horn section is filling up the rage meter and unleashing it as soon as you acquire it, when the area is free from enemies blow the horn to get another big boost of morale and that should do the trick :)

if horn gets destroyed you will need to replay that section because you won't get enough of morale boost to have a chance for the trophy

whenever you feel you've done well enough on any particular section make another separate manual save back at the palace

if you haven't got the manual save and/or you have completed all other sections prior to fighting the goliath then i'm afraid that obtaining the flawless defense trophy may not be possible :(

but at least you may have a chance to scrape through to complete the game, get the feats and collectibles out of the way and do the valhallan run.

btw on valhallan run you won't have a chance to do it, it's way too hard

let me know if this was helpful at all

and

good luck :)

Hi Ann,

I don't think I made that manual save!

I remember beating the guy called Surtar, getting the hell out of there, (picking up the collectable at the left bottom of the steps and then whizzing back to Asgard.

I have fought at the gates of Asgard with the Iceborn and Frost Giants and then on to Heimdall's Observatory. I cannot recall using the Save Runestone in this area.

I then whizzed off to the Palace Penthouse from where I lept to the Gates of Asgard where it's like a duck shoot at the fairground! On completion, I lept back to the Palace.

Then I flew down to The Gjallarhorn, (I've been there twice now). I went to The Ancient Training Grounds but failed. When I was returned automatically to the Palace, I decided to have another blast down to the Gates of Asgard to protect the Frozen Einherjar, which, is where I am now at an impass!

So what have I done wrong?

Trouble is with this damned game is there is very little guidance to prevent you going too far. I have the Bradygames guide at my side but is a little vague to say the least - goes suitably with the game I guess!

I know looking through all of the feats I have missed loads of stuff earlier on but you only get to understand all this by going through a second time and I don't think my nerves or my controller will stand the stress!

I have another issue. Because I consider myself to be a "not so adept gamer", I tend to upgrade on almost anything that comes up as soon as I have amassed enough points. When going into "Valour", I find that when I upgrade and highlight something, something else which I know I have already upgraded to goes dim. I know I have upgraded on certain things several times over so I haven't a clue what's going on there.

Any way I would really appreciate your help again to get me going again - you have been such a help so far. Its great when someone holds your hand through this sort of thing so to speak!

if you've already done the defense of the horn twice and you have not enough morale to get you through the goliath then i'm afraid there's nothing else that you can do but revert to your most recent manual save and replay everything till you get to the penthouse palace again and there make the save so you could fall back on it

with feats it's not so bad because majority of whatever you had missed you can do again on valhallan run and whatever you had done on easy already will carry over.

i'm not sure if you can pick up collectibles from easier difficulty on the hardest because i made sure not to miss anything.

here's a brilliant feat guide explaining exactly what needs to be done, i couldn't find this kinda info anywhere else on the net

also perusing this trophy-by-trophy guide may help you greatly, it's not a walkthrough per se but there's enough of fantastic info which when put together should guide you to success

it's the worst you can get in a game - missable trophies and no chapter select or new game+ :(

that's why making separate saves every time you get a chance is crucial because it's less pain to replay a small bit than play again from the scratch

oh and about the upgrades, you can't buy the same upgrade twice so no panic there, the icons light up when you highlight them, from what i can vaguely remember when you highlight the one you have it says so somewhere

at the end of the day you will have to buy all of the upgrades anyway but first try to go for the ones that you think will be useful the most and if it means saving up - do just that ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the help again.

So it is as I suspected.

Now the only thing is I am not sure what I have to do to get back to the last save. I've not seen this sort of facility in my limited experience of games so far.

Do I just hit "LOAD GAME" at the opening menu instead of "CONTINUE"?. I suspect it will take me back to Surtur. No problem, strangely enough I have managed to figure that boss fight all on my own!

Hi AnnMaRou,

Guess what! I've actually finished the first run thrugh on "Easy", ("Easy" my backside!).

I'm thoroughly worn out now - can you recommend a nice relaxing game for my next "challenge".

I stuck with it when I could quite easily have quit after the first battle - not an enjoyable game in comparison to some of the bigger ones such as Assassin's Creed and Batman. I don't think I will be having a second attempt at this one for a while.

hey i was wondering how you were doing with thor, great news and good job! :applause:

i found second run not as hard because of all the upgrades and knowing what to do but the fight with mangog on valhallan is beyond ridiculous hard :mad:

i don't know what games you have or what kind of games you like but for nice and relaxing i would recommend saints row the 3rd, prototype 2, crysis, portal 2, dead island or splatterhouse, infamous 2 - they're all fun or easy to plat/complete :)

hey i was wondering how you were doing with thor, great news and good job! :applause:

i found second run not as hard because of all the upgrades and knowing what to do but the fight with mangog on valhallan is beyond ridiculous hard :mad:

i don't know what games you have or what kind of games you like but for nice and relaxing i would recommend saints row the 3rd, prototype 2, crysis, portal 2, dead island or splatterhouse, infamous 2 - they're all fun or easy to plat/complete :)

Yes - those damn fireballs that Mangog keeps chucking. I reckon the first batch are the easiest to reflect back and then try and dodge the next lot to preserve health.

Shoe478 was a great help although his footage wasn't very clear - obviously done on an old telly or something. Also MahaloAdventure on You Tube seems to know what he is doing too! I play on the lounge TV which is a Panasonic Vierra 42" Plasma 1080P Full HD and the graphics are excellent.

I was talking to a techy in Game on Friday about PS4, (not that I am going straight out and buying one - I prefer everyone else to beta test them for me before I commit!). He reckons that the graphics are going to be even better with an 8 core processor. I am not an expert, but surely your system is only as good as your weakest component? If it means upgrading TVs etc, then its definitely a no no - we are fine with what we have and the wife would never agree to it anyway!

I have a stock of games to get through including Hulk and all of the Spiderman games. I also want to start Assassin's Creed 3 - I've heard that there are new add ons being released for that too.

I have aso been recommended to SkyRim so I may have a look at that.

Hopefully we are going to get a decent summer this year so that I can go and play golf away from the PS3 for a while!

Edited by Barneyboy
Dyslexia

• 2 years later...

Hey man thanks a lot, your method is the best there is, you rock