Perma-Death Mode Confirmed

Found out about this other day. I didn't see a thread and I thought people might be interested.

Dark difficulty and permadeath: how hard is The Witcher 3? | VG247

Presumably they've fused Dark and insane into a single difficulty. Dark now has Perma-Death. No word if this will be a trophy. Completing Dark mode on 360 was an achievement, but they didn't include the Perma-Death mode(insane) in the 360 port. Completing Insane was a steam achievement.

To smash any hopes now, they encypted the saves on PC for the Perma-Death mode in the Witcher 2. It's best to assume save scumming won't be possible, but you could quit if death was near.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wait, so a game that could take 100's of hours to complete has permadeath?

What happens if you're 95 hours in and die, lol. Start over for the Platinum! :sick:

Let's hope not. It does sound like the Witcher 3 will make Dark Souls seem like Hanna Montana.

Edited by Shanehi185

This is something that I want to say originated in the Diablo series Hardcore mode. Usually the games that employ this mode have one method or another that makes it easier to survive.

^ Pretty much this. A lot of games that have this kind of game mode do try to help you complete it and are not made to prevent you from finishing the game. If anything, I think completing the game on that mode will probably just receive an achievement/trophy. It's actually nice to see games feature tough modes like this purely for a fun experience.

• 3 weeks later...
As mentioned, Diablo 3 had this implemented in its Hardcore mode too. Wasn't difficult to back up my saves to USB and reload any of my game post-death. This won't be any different.

Despite that from people experience, Witcher 3 is not as easy as Diablo, you could compare it to the Souls series.. I have even heard from devs they have took some ideas from them.

Looking into Witcher a bit more, doesn't it have a save feature like Skyrim? Where, as long as you're not in combat you can pause the game and save in "X" amount of slots?

If the save feature works the same in "Dark" mode, there wont even be a need for backing up saves on the Cloud. You could just save in 3-4 different slots every time and when you die, just pick the other save slot.

Surely, the developers are smarter than me and will implement a single save file for Dark. But, maybe, just maybe, they will over look it.

This is completely different than Dead Space 3's Hardcore Mode. That is a shooter, which is a small game comparing to a RPG. If you die there, there is no problem, it does not take too long to get back where you were.

I can't see myself playing this if not for a trophy, sincerely. I have more things to do rather than just keep restarting the game over and over again and again.

Still, there are people who will love this, and I respect them.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand all the fuss around how hardcore it is. We all will be abusing cloud/usb save AS USUAL. I hardly doubt Sony will allow 3rd party to mess with the way cloud operates.

If you remember RE5 actually had it to where you couldn't copy the save/back it up. I don't remember if that pertains to cloud saving, so something might be possible on PS4. Also remember for Witcher 2 insane mode if you have played it that you could not do such a cheese. Something along the lines of a encrypted save and loading you can Google it. It's better that way since if I can't do it then I don't deserve the trophy.

I have no qualms about using a USB drive for this.

I do not think there are any games that restrict this, even Dark Souls II and Bloodborne allow this on PS4, yet on PS3 you cannot.

I get the feeling devs cannot implement restrictions on this at all, a perma-death mode in an open world RPG that you could sink hours upon hours in to yet have it all erased for 1 death is unnecessary, I don't care if it's cheesing it, I simply won't be losing all my progress for one silly mistake :p

Oh really? That's good news for me.

Yeah from the youtubers gameplays and the last streaming on twitch there is no permadeath.

Edit: Just to clarify, last streaming were some devs playing and showing combat + skills system in action, plus they tried "Death March" twice which is the highest difficulty and they failed to kill the monster from the contract in both tries.. and when they died, no save game wiped. So far they ripped half the bar from the monster.

Edited by BigTorito

Yeah from the youtubers gameplays and the last streaming on twitch there is no permadeath.

Edit: Just to clarify, last streaming were some devs playing and showing combat + skills system in action, plus they tried "Death March" twice which is the highest difficulty and they failed to kill the monster from the contract in both tries.. and when they died, no save game wiped. So far they ripped half the bar from the monster.

I doubt think they would remove the difficulty. Plus Dark Mode or whatever they are calling it cannot be picked on the first playthrough. Just think it means it's not a trophy.Also the guy specifically says yes to the trophy in Dark Mode, yet there is no trophy in that list. It's odd.Maybe it's just a trophy and not an achievement? I doubt it though. I think the difficulty levels are Casual, Normal, Blood and Broken Bones, Death March, and then Dark Mode.

Edited by MasterBlaster

I dobt think they would remove the difficulty. Plus Dark Mode or whatever they are calling it cannot be picked on the first playthrough. Just think it means it's not a trophy.Also the guy specifically says yes to the trophy in Dark Mode, yet there is no trophy in that list. It's odd.Maybe it's just a trophy and not an achievement? I doubt it though. I think the difficulty levels are Casual, Normal, Blood and Broken Bones, Death March, and then Dark Mode.

Have you even read what I have said? Devs made an streaming, plus you can watch all the youtuber's videos out there to enlight yourself.

There is no permadeath, every difficulty is unlocked from start, and those are: Just the Story, Story and Sword, Blood and Broken Bones and Death March. There is no Dark Mode, Death March is the hardest difficulty.

The streaming is now off from Twitch but I know what I saw, and I saw the dev dying twice in Death March without save wiping, and he could change difficulty at anytime, so that means, there is no permadeath.

Death March does not have permadeath. : witcher

Edited by BigTorito

Have you even read what I have said? Devs made an streaming, plus you can watch all the youtuber's videos out there to enlight yourself.

There is no permadeath, every difficulty is unlocked from start, and those are: Just the Story, Story and Sword, Blood and Broken Bones and Death March. There is no Dark Mode, Death March is the hardest difficulty.

The streaming is now off from Twitch but I know what I saw, and I saw the dev dying twice in Death March without save wiping, and he could change difficulty at anytime, so that means, there is no permadeath.

Death March does not have permadeath. : witcher

What I was saying regardless if you can see it grayed out or anything from the start that doesn't mean much. There have been games where you have easy,Normal, and hard and nothing shows another difficulty. Then upon completing the game another difficulty shows up. What I was getting at was that those streams you are watching I doubt they are saves that have a completed save on it. Hell it can even be added in the day 1 update. All I'm saying is nothing is in concrete until we have our hands on it.