Am I really the only one who disliked this game?

Robaldinio

I don't think I've heard a single person say anything other than how amazing the TWD is and it just confuses me so much. I have waited until now (after finishing the game and earning the platinum trophy) before complaining. How did this get five GOTY awards? :confused:

Yes, I get the story. It's super emotional and dynamically allows the player to direct its course. It's not exactly ground-breaking though, is it? This will end up turning into a tirade if I'm not careful, so I'll just bullet point my main issues as much as I can:

>First off, it felt like Lee was always a good guy from the start.

Maybe it's just because I tend to make good karma choices in my gaming in general, but there was no point at which I considered he would ever be a bad person. Even in the back of the cop car at the beginning, it just had "wrongly accused" written all over it for me.

>I never truly felt in control of my decisions.

It has to be said that the response options were very limited and in some cases, rather dumb. The dialogue was often slow and laborious too. Presumably, the time-limit is to put you under pressure in order to make you answer honestly or instinctively. Well, this doesn't really work in a situation where you must first read all of the options before you can make a decision, does it? :rolleyes: The result of this, is that I would more often than not just end up pressing :triangle: as it was naturally the first/only thing I managed to read. I must say this kinda ruined the game really.

>Characters would take exception to the most random comments/actions.

On more than a few occasions, my decision would trigger a message stating that I had somehow upset some character or other. Considering how I always tried to go for the most rational/neutral response (if I had time!), this always took me by surprise.

>Pretty much every character was annoying.

I don't usually even comment on the story or characters in games, but it seems to be the major talking point of this one. Clementine was probably the only person I actually cared about but even she was a bit too whiny at times - I mean, did she actually expect me to take her along to the evil psycho village? :facepalm:

>The action sequences were... strange.

In a game such as this, I expect an occasional QTE and maybe the odd case of :cross: mashing, but anything more than that is just so out of place. The worst part was when a QTE triggered a decision - as if you were somehow supposed to just know that there was any other option!

[spoiler=walker]The creepy guy at the end of the game is a prime example of this. You end up wrestling with him (by mashing :cross:) and then at the end of the chapter, the results screen states that you "chose" to kill him...

There were several similar occasions where I had no idea that there may have been any other possible outcome. The gun shooting sequences were utterly dreadful as well. There was one in particular that took place in the hospital and it felt like the game didn't allow you to miss a shot. And how can any game made within the last 15 years have no Y axis option? :confused:

Of course I realise the game was made by a small developer and honestly, I would normally just plat it, uninstall, and move on. But the whole GOTY thing has really irked me from the beginning.

Perhaps it's just a case of a few publications trying to appear "edgy" by ignoring the mainstream and looking for something more underground; like that one magazine that gave GOTY to BLACK OPS II in 2013, over the likes of GTA V and THE LAST OF US. :think:

Nobody should be handing out GOTY awards to anything that doesn't rate at least 8/10 in every department. 'Story' isn't the only quality that should be considered, and it certainly isn't the most important - if you think otherwise, then you'd probably prefer books over games!

The trophies themselves are shameful. :p It's definitely the first 'story-related; can't be missed' platinum I have ever done, and hopefully the last. It really wouldn't be hard to think of a nice trophy list for this game, which would have surely helped me enjoy it more too. What about, 'Investigate every clue', or 'Never lie to Clementine' - those are just two I came up with without even putting any real thought into it.

This is my next game to play, so i didn't want to read to much into your post. Not everyone will like every game. I know it doesn't follow the TV series but man I loved that, hopefully the game will hook me in too.

Well I wouldn't say I "disliked" it but it is far from the masterpiece that people claim. You are correct about the decisions in game they are a completely meaningless and a total lie that only gives you the impression your choices matter.

This^

I really liked Episodes 1+2 but 3+4 went on way too long and although Episode 5 was an improvement on those two, it still dragged towards the end and the actual post credits ending felt like a complete cop out. I agree with every point the OP has made, this is a reasonable enough game but there were far better ones released the same year which were deserving of the GOTY title.

Played through this for the platinum. Enjoyable story, but indeed all characters are idiots and behave like babies. I disliked them all except for Clementine.

The comic is pretty good though. And there's no laggy QTE when reading a comic...

Clem is the worst of them all,

[spoiler=ghg]stupid bitch can't follow instructions and in the end got lee killed

Edited by Xander45
please use spoiler tags

• 2 weeks later...

I first played this on my old account and I liked it. I didn't think it was a masterpiece or anything like that, thought it was very overrated but after playing it again on my new account I have come to appreciate it a lot more.

I'm not sure why it didn't hit as hard first time around, because I love story driven games, and i'm a big Walking Dead fan. I guess the hype was just so strong, i'm not really sure. But definitely second time around I went from liking the game to loving it. I guess its down to playing a lot of crap and average games with little or no plots in the meantime that made me appreciate true story driven games like this one. I thought the second season was even better imo.

I can't wait for the third season, but as with the first 2 seasons i'm going to wait for all 5 episodes to be released. I just couldn't wait a full month or two for the next one when i'm so into a game :) My only hope is that they will add the platinum back into the third season. That would be the cherry on top :)

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion is ....it is an amazing story...it's like i've been thinking about it for days after i platinumed it but game wise ? it's not much of a game ...it's more of a story and a movie...the amazing story made the people think it is an amazing game but i really didn't feel like i am playing a game ..but at the end of the day it is worth it to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't care for it either. I'm not big into P&C Adventure games, nor zombies, so it was a longshot for me to begin with. But all the GOTY raving made me decide to get it on a sale. What disappointed me the most was how shallow the illusion of choice is. Choose to save one person over the other? Doesn't matter, either the same person dies regardless of your choice or the person you save will get killed later. Stuff like that. I liked TWAU MUCH better. Sam and Max beats this too, just for the humour alone.

Loved it. More of an interactive TV-Show, than a proper game, but that didn't bothered me. Got connected to the characters. Hated some, loved others. Which is a great feat to accomplish. You're supposed to dislike some, and like others. I liked Lee, Clem, Lilly and Carley. Highly emotional. People say The Last of Us was emotional? Please. Move over. This game got me absolutely devastated.

• 2 months later...

The game is excellent... at least that's how I felt the first time I played through it. I played it again, making every single decision differently, but I still ended up in the exact same spot. :mad:

The story is well told and engaging... but when you know that your choices don't *really* matter all that much, it sucks some of the fun away. Still worth a playthrough though, I think.

edit: basically what Stork77 said.

Edited by LimitBreak32

I love this game, and it's pretty much been the gateway drug to the rest of Telltale's games for me. It's full of some of the best sequences I can remember in a game, and playing it again on the PS4 (after playing on PS3 and Vita), I'm just convinced this will remain a classic through time.

I mean, that one scene between Lilly and Carly alone will forever list in "Top 10 Jaw-Dropping Moments" for me. It is more of a slow build, but damn what a slow build it is. With the flash sale, I finally picked up season two, so I look forward to moving right into that over the next week. =)

I love this game, and it's pretty much been the gateway drug to the rest of Telltale's games for me. It's full of some of the best sequences I can remember in a game, and playing it again on the PS4 (after playing on PS3 and Vita), I'm just convinced this will remain a classic through time.

I mean, that one scene between Lilly and Carly alone will forever list in "Top 10 Jaw-Dropping Moments" for me. It is more of a slow build, but damn what a slow build it is. With the flash sale, I finally picked up season two, so I look forward to moving right into that over the next week. =)

The Wolf Among Us is FAR superior to this game just in case you haven't played it yet

The Wolf Among Us is FAR superior to this game just in case you haven't played it yet

Definitely agree with this! I got that Day One. (Fables is a modern classic, and Telltale totally nailed the atmosphere!!) But Walking Dead holds its own for shocking moments throughout. So while TWAU had a better and more cohesive story (which I just finished for the second time, and was genuinely surprised at how well it still holds together), TWD is more memorable to me. (The St. John's! The Carly/Lilly fight! That last scene between Lee and Clem!)

So for me, TWAU remains a game I HIGHLY recommend to fans of Fables and/or the fairy tales surrounding them, TWD is a game I will recommend to anyone who wants a strong, moving story. THAT SAID, I have not played any of Season Two yet, so I look forward to seeing if the story can maintain the momentum or if it stalls out.

I liked season 2 better than season 1. But in regards to THIS season, lots of complaining in this thread. My main personal complaint was that choices really didn't matter, outside of seeing how your choice lined up with those of others, and growing more attached to particular characters.

For example, it always seemed that if you decided to protect someone, they just ended up dying later, so that the game didn't need that many branch points.

Clem was a great character. Having two daughters myself, they often don't follow instructions like automatons. Anyone who is a parent understands this. I liked Lee, but also felt that he was just Lawful Good all the way. I really liked Kenny (and that carried through to season 2). He felt most like a real human being - a parent who tries his best, but ultimately can't fix everything. The rest of the characters were a mixed bag, and mostly forgettable, but again, I attribute this to a story that has the player making choices. Obviously, I grew closer to those for whom I made favorable choices.

I do share people's surprise at the idea of this being the GOTY. It's a good game for what it is, but when thinking of other GOTY titles, this really doesn't fit at all.

I'm going to get TWAU (it's cheap again this week), but I do NOT share people's love of Fables. That was always a comic for people who don't read comics, the way Harry Potter is fantasy for people who don't read fantasy. Bill Willingham is the most overrated writer this side of Grant Morrison (don't even get me started on his recent, atrocious series 'Legenderry").

Edited by starcrunch061

That was always a comic for people who don't read comics, the way Harry Potter is fantasy for people who don't read fantasy. Bill Willingham is the most overrated writer this side of Grant Morrison (don't even get me started on his recent, atrocious series 'Legenderry").

Wow, do you need a ladder to climb onto your pedestal? :whistle: Everyone has their favorite "overrated" excuse card to pull when they want to feels especially elitist. Same could be said about Kirkman, Moore, or Lee as well. If it's a comic and you read it, you're a comic reader. :applause:

Anyway, that's an end to my off-topic rant.

I generally agree with the rest of your post. When I played through the second time and saved Doug instead of Carly, I found his arc unbearably boring. Outside of a few interesting quirks, you clearly were supposed to save Carly, whose arc has a clear bearing on Lee and the group. Similarly, saving Ben at the right time leads to a great resolution scene involving Kenny, and the opposite is just a murky blur. I attribute this to Telltale not fully embracing the true narrative choice at the time of the game. I am interested to see this evolve as time goes on. Choice was better in TWAU, and even more so in Game of Thrones (though those huge story options haven't quite paid off yet...) I hope the company is striving for a Mass Effect-level of commitment to choice, where character decisions carry over and branch off more meaningfully.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed it unlike the TV series which I didn't continue to watch after the first season (which was terribly boring to me). I didn't like it as much as The Wolf Among Us and Tales From The Borderlands and it started out quite weak in my opinion, but the second chapter was very tense, the third chapter was fun and the fourth very exciting. The last one had some interesting scenes but a poor ending. Overall I don't regret spending 40€ on the Telltale collection and TWD was a solid experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing this again for the third time (second one was a replay before playing TWD2) since we have TWD2 free for PS4 via PS+... I have to say, it gets really old pretty fast the third time around. I am not as excited as I was when I first played it, second time kinda felt the same as well... or maybe it's because I have recently finished/completed Life Is Strange (to which IMO is better than TTG's early episodic games) and Tales From The Borderland, TTG's best one to date...

[spoiler=90210].... it's been almost three days now since I started replaying this and I haven't even got past the part in chapter 2 where you go to that crazy lady's camp (cannibal farm storyline)... it's really dragging this time around... or maybe I just got tired of zombies altogether?

I actually should be finished with this by now... or at least about to wrap it up... I have to admit I bought this game for the trophies and for (absurdly silly) reasons of not making it look incomplete for having stacked trophies for TWD2 for PS3/PS4 and not for TWD1. Such is the weird life of trophy completionists... :whistle:

I think it would be hard to top the success of Tales From The Borderlands... TTG's gotta up their game from that and of course similar point-and-click games like Life Is Strange and Until Dawn, among others...

... hopefully things wil pick up once I've gotten my head immersed into the story once more... Depending on the last game you've played, it does take a while for my mood to get accustomed to (simple-slow-paced) games like these... nonetheless, I think TWD1 is still a good game (if ever we do consider them as such). This one after all was my first among TTGs catalogue of games.

Edited by Naps