Anyone here completing the game get "that" feeling?

ENAYSOFT

The ones of remorse, sadness etc when making all the difficult decisions in the game?

No, NOT "that" feeling.

I'm talking about the one where it felt like I was finally playing a game again just for fun, like I used to do on the PS2, a long forgotten past where we all, all of us played games for fun and not for trophies.

Whether or not the designers of this game did this on purpose or not I don't know, but it was a good move.

There were no "grinding" trophies, no "hard" trophies, no "online" trophies, no "collectible" trophies, no "hidden but easy and impossible to know without a guide to tell you" trophies etc. The freedom to play the game how you want. (The game's slogan)

This feeling hit me when the platinum pops up, it pops up at just the right time, when the game is over and you are still full of emotion, I had not even noticed all the trophies popping up in this game, I had somehow become immune to it. However the platinum, it made me take notice because of it's regular default PS3 platinum logo. A subliminal signal that said, yep you have your platinum.

Everyone is praising this game, and so they should, it is awesome! But I think we should praise the developers for making us play the game simply for fun. They could have forced us to play the game multiple times and get all the different branches and scenes like many of us were forced too with Heavy Rain. They didn't, and because of that we got to play the game the same as on the iPad.

Easy platinum games makes people buy something they might never have thought of buying before. Hard trophies or games with no trophies may put off people buying the game altogether.

Trophies don't improve the gaming experience at all, they just progressively make it worse. Most importantly forcing us to play games in a way that we don't want too.

I am sad that I see threads on this very forum of people asking how easy the Platinum is or complaining about the boring platinum image and all I can think of is, what has become of gaming?

The never ending conquest of invisible 'achievements' to boost your invisible ranking. I honestly do think this system has not been good for gaming.

My questions to everyone who has read this far, and who loves this game.

Do you love it so much that you will play through it a second time?

Would you have loved this game if it was a Playstation Mini game with no trophies?

Are you happy that you played such an awesome game or happier that you got an easy platinum?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the game because many many friends recommended it to me. They also said it was an easy (P) so I was lookin forward to that.

However after the first hour or two of the first episode I barely realised that I was getting trophies. This is called proper immersion and so few games give it to me nowadays. It made me stop playing Bioshock instantly so that must say something. I was really enjoying Bioshock but as soon as TWD was on for a few hours, I forgot all about the other game.

Back to Bioshock now though :)

Have to say its been a while since a video game tugged at my emotional strings, probably hasn't happened since Red Dead Redemption. The trophies were so easy there was no point in worrying about them unlike the other telltale games.

I do agree it has become sad that people will avoid a good game just because of no trophies/hard trophies/missable. Makes no sense.

to the OP. very well said mate. It is a shame what trrophies have done to gaming, and im just as guilty as everyone else. it was always in the back of my mind that id get an easy platinum for this, but this is the first game i can remember in a long time that ive actually been waiting to play the game, not the trophy list. In every single other game yes your looking to complete the story or campaign or whatever, but you always have the trophy list in the back of your mind, you'll melee someone in stead of shoot them becuase you need to get your 50 melee kills trophy etc. WIth this game like you say the trophies dont matter, you just play the game and let it wash over you without any regard to the trophies at all, and again like you say i think this was deliiberate. I also think that a lot of people will play this game becuase of the riculously easy platinum rating that wouldnt of considered buying this game, and because of that Tell tale will have more fansd and shift more copies. Will be interesting to see if the trophy list is just as simple in the 2nd installment

Gotta admit, I wasn't sure about this, but once I saw how simple the trophies were, I immediately made the decision to pay the $20 for it. I'm damn glad I did, though I probably would have played it anyway since I've gotten into the TV series as well. But yes, it was nice just playing through this game without worrying about trophies. I try not to let trophies ruin my experience in games, but some grinding and other dull tasks have made some otherwise great games a little less enjoyable. I would say this is an eye opening experience, but I'll still be collecting trophies as usual, I'm not too crazy about it.

The ones of remorse, sadness etc when making all the difficult decisions in the game?

No, NOT "that" feeling.

I'm talking about the one where it felt like I was finally playing a game again just for fun, like I used to do on the PS2, a long forgotten past where we all, all of us played games for fun and not for trophies.

Whether or not the designers of this game did this on purpose or not I don't know, but it was a good move.

There were no "grinding" trophies, no "hard" trophies, no "online" trophies, no "collectible" trophies, no "hidden but easy and impossible to know without a guide to tell you" trophies etc. The freedom to play the game how you want. (The game's slogan)

This feeling hit me when the platinum pops up, it pops up at just the right time, when the game is over and you are still full of emotion, I had not even noticed all the trophies popping up in this game, I had somehow become immune to it. However the platinum, it made me take notice because of it's regular default PS3 platinum logo. A subliminal signal that said, yep you have your platinum.

Everyone is praising this game, and so they should, it is awesome! But I think we should praise the developers for making us play the game simply for fun. They could have forced us to play the game multiple times and get all the different branches and scenes like many of us were forced too with Heavy Rain. They didn't, and because of that we got to play the game the same as on the iPad.

Easy platinum games makes people buy something they might never have thought of buying before. Hard trophies or games with no trophies may put off people buying the game altogether.

Trophies don't improve the gaming experience at all, they just progressively make it worse. Most importantly forcing us to play games in a way that we don't want too.

I am sad that I see threads on this very forum of people asking how easy the Platinum is or complaining about the boring platinum image and all I can think of is, what has become of gaming?

The never ending conquest of invisible 'achievements' to boost your invisible ranking. I honestly do think this system has not been good for gaming.

Would you have loved this game if it was a Playstation Mini game with no trophies?

Are you happy that you played such an awesome game or happier that you got an easy platinum?

I totally agree with you. I believe trophies on the whole have been very bad for gaming. Personally I couldn't care less about what trophies a game has or doesn't have, it never affects my decision to play it or not to play it. I love playing games for fun and because i like that particular game. Too many people forget this these days and just rush a game to see who can platinum the quickest or worse, grind through a game for the trophies until it becomes a chore to play. Its sad but true these days.

The decision to plat games rests on the player. I have 68 platinum's I have multiple ones that required hundreds of hours to plat like White Knight Chronicles or GTA4, but I never complained because its a game I wanted to play cause I like it. When Uncharted 3 came out with its shitty multiplayer trophies I gave it a thought, but I only play for the single player and didn't bother. Point is this is a great game and I didn't play it for trophies they are just an added bonus if you enjoy a game it should be natural to do everything in it the trophies are just guidelines.

I have to disagree with this...

For me at least trophies have been fantastic. I used to just play the game through and move on to the next one. Most of the time i would never play on hard or bother with collectables or multiple endings. Trophies have given me a reason to try new things and explore all the game has to offer.

I get WAY more bang for my buck now.

As for boosting my invisible ranking... I could not care less about what others think of my trophies. I collect trophies for me not them. I do have my trophy cards in my sig for anyone who cares to look , but it is nothing to me if someone laughs at my list.:ass:

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but only with people who take trophies too seriously. Trophies are meant to be fun, not a full time job or a status symbol. Saying that ; if someone wants to dedicate their time to being #1 in the world , well good for them. Who am I to judge that?

PS- I also am a big fan of The Walking Dead game. :) Loved it!

Edited by broadsword93

If I had to describe the feeling after I finsihed the game, I think this would be it. I started playing the game because I love the tv series. The first 2 episodes were a little draggy (in my opinion) so I took some time between the 2nd and 3rd. Once I started playing the 3rd, I couldn't put the controller down. It was no longer about trophies, but more of "wtf is going on omg"- I just wanted to PLAY! After each episode finished I was getting impatient that it had to go back to the main menu and load the next. One of the most memorable games I've played in awhile (last one that made me feel the same way was Heavy Rain).

I really agree with the post.

I played the game the way I wanted. I didn't check guides for this game.

They could have easily added trophy for picking this guy or killing that guy. Or giving everyone an energy bar at the pharmacy.

I really believe that no worrying about trophies in this game ADDED a HUGE bonus to it and the way it was played.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love collecting trophies, but a game that has a hard platinum won't stop me from playing it. My friends don't understand why I like trophies though. They seem to have a condescending attitude like they're better than me because they don't care about trophies. "I play the game for fun," they'll say without realizing that I do too. The fact that I go out of my way to get a platinum trophy in games like Dark Souls or Saints Row 3 just shows that I wanted to get the most out of a fun game. I don't have any crap games on my trophy list just so I can get an easy platinum. I played through Valkyria Chronicles because it was a great game. There are still good games I play without the need for trophies or achievements.

It's sad that there are people who only play to collect meaningless digital cred, but there are also people who think playing CoD and only CoD constitutes them being a hardcore gamer. As long as I'm having fun with my games, that's all that matters to me.

I'm glad I played through The Walking Dead. I got it because I heard about how good it was. The easy platinum was just an added bonus that I discovered after I started playing it.

Edited by caboose218

Agree with some of what you say, disagree with some.

Easy platinum games are actually more likely to be rented than bought by trophy hunters.

I understand and share some of your concerns about trophy hunting (boosting, glitching, exploits) cheapening the game. On the flip side, there is a game within a game to get many trophies by doing side events that you never would have otherwise - extending the life and content of the game.

For Walking Dead, I am more happy that I played an awesome game than earned a plat, definitely.

I never got this game for the "trophies", i'm just a walking dead fan, i love the novels and glad the game decide too follow the novels rather the TV show, it's a brilliant game and deserved GOTY 2012, it was fresh in turns of graphics and gameplay, and every choice i had to make, i thought to myself what would i do? that's what i loved about it

I just finish that story yesterday and I have to say such a simple game had me emotional and in tears in the end. All those hard decisions I had to make and the memorable people I met was draining.

I am def going to play this over and switch up a lot of decisions I made to see what happens. :o

or to save time for other trophies, just watch all scenes scenarios on youtube....thats what i did with catherine as it got too hard to even finish the story and knew id never plat it, so i said wth skip the game, finish story on youtube. haha ;)

• 2 months later...

i loved playing this game through. there were actually some really difficult decisions, but like you said, finally a game to play for fun and not for trophies/achievements. i can't remember when the last time i did that was. and i also can't remember the last time i shed a tear from a game, but that happened for me in episode 5.

i like how you mentioned the developers didn't add any "extra" trophies that MAKE you play for all the different branch-offs the game offers. because this is the ONE game i wouldn't mind that in. trophies or not, i'll be playing this game at least 2 times through, most likely 3 times through. just to experience the different outcomes and the way the story can take me.

kudos to the devs, kudos to the game. $25, and easily better and more enjoyable than most $60 games i buy.

more games should be like this. it puts you in the story easy to get lost in everything going on and even when you have time to wander around you are constantly thinking did i make the right choice? what is going to happen next? it was an amazing game to play and i will definitely playthrough again. It was nice to just sit back and take it all in.

No, NOT "that" feeling.

Excellent post mate well said. :applause:

To answer your questions:

I will be playing this again at some time but not yet, don't think I can put myself through it all again so soon.

Honestly wouldn't have picked this up if it was just a mini without trophies. The easy plat was a factor in choosing it, the big price reduction was the main reason I bought it though.

Overall I am happier to have played a good game than picked up an easy plat.

Urg. I just began yesterday, however I'm already mad with enthusiasm. I'm the no hype kind of guy, but a good story always catches me, and the narrative is really impressive.

About trophies... I'm dubitative about playing it a second time. Maybe I'm evolving into a trophy whore, I don't know. Heavy Rain was a bit boring playing most of the chapters 3 or 4 times, and the trophies were the carrot on the stick. However, I feel confident I really WANT to play it a second time, and will do, as I love games where decisions count. But I don't know if by then the game will lose its grip, and I will just be satisfied with the endings flavour.

Is a pity anyway that they didnt do a more rewarding trophy system so you can see all the options, like, again, Heavy Rain. What if I help this grown man instead of that child? What if I'm a rotten hearted guy and just pull the strings so everybody dies as fast as they can? In that sense, a good trophy system is like a good guide to see its secrets and easter eggs, you can see how much game you have left. Shame I will just finish the game, maybe I'll play it again just for fun and see some variants, but I'll lose still some differences I'd like to see If I knew they were there to be seen, or played.

Edited by 4manaka

No, NOT "that" feeling.

as much as i love getting trophies, after playing it through chapter 1 i had no interest in them unlocking, it was so well written and paced and while not a Triple A release it certainly brought out emotions i havent seen since i was about 10 years old playing games.

When games are done right they have no need for trophies or ways to draw you in, frankly if the game was released tomorrow as a mini i would buy it in a shot....

Just words cant describe how fulfilled playing this has made me, as over the top as it seems i have been tiring of gaming for a while but for something like this to completely turn on its head what i've been doing for so long while not doing much at all really shows how good gaming can be...but sadly isnt most of the time.

100% well said.

Edited by genericus