Metro: Last Light - The Tower Pack DLC - Road Map and Trophy Guide

Terminator

ucnJtDc.png
Guide Template by Vyrastas

If you felt compelled to join the forum as a result of this guide, please give me a referral (Type "Terminator" (without the quotation marks) into the referrer box when you sign up), thank you. This guide is the property of "Terminator" and is for use only on Playstationtrophies.org. If you see this guide listed anywhere else, then please let me know so action may be taken.

Road Map:

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 5/10 (personal opinion)
  • Offline trophies: 2 (2 (B))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 2-4hrs+ but this is highly dependant on skill and luck.
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1
  • Number of missable trophies: 1, Willpower
  • Glitched trophies: None specifically but see the Glitch Notes for some bugs that can mess up your game.
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Indirectly yes, the main game and Ranger Mode DLC difficulties feed into this DLC and can make life unnecessarily difficult so play on Easy.
  • Do trophies stack?: No.
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: There are no cheats.

Introduction:

The Tower Pack is the second of the 4 Season Pass DLCs and sees you playing the part of an unknown soldier in an unspecified point in the Metro storyline. Your character has been given the job of trying out a new combat simulator that your superiors believe will help better train and prepare the rest of their troops. Due to the vague nature of the story and lack of any real connection to either of the Metro games, it doesn't matter when you play this as it won't spoil the story for either game. The Tower Pack DLC consists of 5 missions of increasing difficulty and has you fighting against Waves of increasingly dangerous and hostile enemies but with a little skill and luck, you can beat them. Whilst there are online leaderboards available in this DLC (press :select: => Leaderboards), there are no online trophies. I've said 2-4hrs+ for the time to 100%, because the difficulty can go up steeply in places and the potential glitches you can run into will stretch out how long it takes to finish this DLC. The difficulty for this is a 5/10 because it can be easy but when it's hard, it gets really hard.

To actually start the DLC you need the 1.02 patch installed and have played at least the first Chapter in the main game, then go: Main Menu => Chapters => press :circle: to open the "New Missions" menu. The DLC Chapters do not automatically follow on from each other therefore changing Chapters before you have the trophies for any given Chapter, will wipe your progress thanks to the poor save system (more on that below).

Glitch Notes:

Unfortunately, this DLC suffers from some of the same problems as the main game and the other trophy DLCs:

- Trophy list deletion: This bug was relatively rare but now Metro: Last Light is available via PS+, more and more people are reporting that their Trophy list for this game gets deleted when the game crashes. The odds of hitting this bug are still low but be prepared if it does as there is a chance you may never get some of your trophies back. To mitigate any fallout from this bug, sync your trophies the moment you get them but quit to the XMB to do so as being signed into PSN seems to make the game more unstable.

- Random freezing: The freezing usually happens at load screens and in the menus but can strike on the XMB seconds after exiting the game. In rare cases the freezing can cause save file corruption. Because the saves for Metro: Last Light are locked, you need either a PS+ Subscription so you can use the Save File Cloud or an external drive you can do a full Hard Drive backup to. The Cloud is the recommended option because then you only have to upload/download 1 file, rather than having to backup/restore your entire Hard Drive every time.

Due to an incredibly nasty bug that the Developer Pack DLC introduces, it is now likely your save will delete itself if/when the game crashes so it is imperative you make frequent backups. To reduce the chances of your game crashing and your save disappearing, I strongly recommend exiting directly to the XMB instead of the Main Menu (press the :ps: button => scroll down to "Quit Game" => press :cross: => select "Yes") as the freezing mainly happens when you try to quit the game. Ideally you want to backup your save inbetween missions so you don't lose so much progress should your save get wiped.

- Checkpoint issues: Unlike the other trophy DLCs and the Main Game, in The Tower Pack you can only save between missions but having a save here will still wipe your save from the main game or the other trophy DLCs so back it up to the Cloud before starting. If you choose to restore a backup from the Cloud, then please note you can only do this once every 24hrs due to the time restriction the Cloud imposes on locked saves.

- Auto Save wiping: This problem is exclusive to the Season Pass DLCs. What this means is if you load a save from the main game then exit and play a DLC mission, your main game Auto Save will be wiped and replaced with the one you just created for the DLC. I don't know if this is a bug or just lousy game design but it sucks all the same so ensure you've finished the main game before starting the story DLCs.

- Gamma (brightness) issues: The Gamma in this game is really bad at times, even with the in-game Gamma maxed out so I advise you also turn up the Gamma/Brightness of your TV to enable you to see better.

- Double shot glitch: This glitch only seems to happen in The Chronicles and Tower Pack DLCs. For some unknown reason the Revolver and sometimes the Shambler and Duplet as well, will occasionally fire 2 shots instead of 1. This can be beneficial if you're going up against a tough enemy like a Heavy Trooper but more often than not it's a hindrance as you'll burn through your ammo that bit faster.

General notes:

• Even though the trophy descriptions say complete X Level, I'll be calling them Chapters because that's what they're called in-game.
  • Since the save system in this game is an Auto Save based one, you must finish your current Chapter before moving on else you will lose all your progress (unless you have a backup handy).
  • As with the main game and the other trophy DLCs, your health will regenerate over time after you take damage so hide (if possible) until it recovers.
  • I'm unsure if you can get any of the trophies from the main game whilst playing this DLC, if you can then please let me know.
  • All the controls mentioned in this Guide are based on the default settings.
  • Even with the Season Pass and every DLC installed, the only DLC Weapons you will have available are the RPK Assault Rifle and the Hellbreath Railgun.
  • Unlike the main game and the other Story DLCs, in the Tower Pack your compass will not work. I don't know if this is a glitch or a weird design choice but it's still worth mentioning.
  • This Guide cannot be used with the Redux version of the Tower Pack due to design differences and because the trophy list is completely different, plus there is an exploit which can only be used in that version that doesn't work on the PS3.

Walkthrough:

Step 1: Get the Willpower trophy

Willpower is the easier of the 2 Tower Pack DLC trophies but it's also missable because if you finish this DLC before getting it, then you will have to start a new game from scratch to have another go at it. There isn't much I can really say about this but the best place I've found to get it is in mission 4 where you'll only be facing humans and not mutants. You will have just 3 chances to get this trophy as only missions 2-4 and have a HUGE mission.

Step 2: Get the Test Complete trophy

Since Test Complete is story related, you can't miss it unless you get hit by one of the numerous bugs that this game unfortunately has.

Step 3: Clean up

Should anything bad happen to your save, then you can use this Step to get whichever trophy it was you were working on at the time.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed a broken link and a spacing error.

Trophy Guide:

59.jpg Test Complete (B)

Complete the TOWER level.

Story related, can't be missed

To start the missions you have to go playthrough a short Prologue section that will introduce you to the "Tower" (which is a virtual reality combat simulator) and once inside the actual program you will be told to take a weapon from the Gun Rack to your left. Since there are only 3 weapons, you may as well take all of them. Also note that the graphics will be intentionally wonky inside the simulator when you're in the Virtual Lobby so don't panic. Once you have chosen your weapons, head over to the door and press :square: to start mission 1.

Mission walkthroughs:

General advice:

- If you get stuck in Missions 2, 3 and 5 and keep getting your butt kicked by the Flyers and Nosalies, then try running in circles around the map to avoid them, only stopping to take pot-shots at them. Credit to Jerry Appleby and cr1s2412 for this tip.

- For each kill you will be given a certain amount of MGRs (Military Grade Rounds) which you can spend either on ammo, summoning virtual soldiers (available from mission 2 onwards) or use as actual ammo (press and hold :triangle:, keep that held then press :r2:) but do note that your MGR count will be reset on completing the mission so you'll be starting from scratch in the next one. You can increase the amount of MGRs you get by performing Distance, Double, Multi and Headshot kills but killing via body shots will only earn you a single MGR per kill compared to several if you manage to chain the others together.

- The start of the next round will be indicated by a beeping sound that gets faster and louder until it turns itself off and the next batch of enemies show up, use this time to buy more ammo/reload your weapons or summon some soldiers.

- Keep human enemies away from the alarm boxes (mutants can't use them), else they'll summon even more soldiers so kill anyone that makes a break for one.

- You'll know what Wave you are on, because there's a Wave indicator above or near the primary spawn point for the enemies in the current arena.

- You will always start a mission next to an Ammo Dispenser but some missions will have multiple ones. The Dispenser you start next to at the beginning of a mission will always have 3 full boxes of ammo out and ready to use but it will cost 35 MGRs to dispense another 3 boxes.

- If you get stuck at any point and wish to try a strategy that's different to one of mine, then see here:

(Credit to Vampires Crypt for this video. Whilst this is for the PC version and is played on the Ranger Hardcore DLC difficulty, the advice shown is still valid).

Mission 1:

Rating recommendation: N/A because there is only one available.

Number of Waves: 2

Weapon recommendations: You only have 3 options i.e an Kalash Assault Rifle, a Revolver and an Ashot Pistol. Once inside the mission, you will automatically be given 5 Grenades, 5 Medkits and 5 Claymores.

Enemies: Humans.

Tactics: Mission 1 is arguably the hardest mission of the lot, though mission 5 is pretty hard as well. At the start of mission you will have a few seconds to find a safe spot to hide, of which you have 2 choices i.e. your starting position next to the Ammo Vending machine or up the stairs to your right and crouch next to the lift. All the enemies in this missions will be carrying Assault Rifles, Shotguns and Grenades so use the gantry to your advantage but go for headshots as your ammo is limited and trying to resupply in the middle of a firefight will almost certainly get you killed.

Near the end of the second and final Wave, the Heavy Infantry will show up and these guys almost never miss so use Grenades, Claymores and your Kalash to kill them and don't let yourself get cornered!

Mission 2:

Rating recommendation: Normal

Number of Waves: 4

Weapon recommendations: As above but swap your Ashot for the Duplet Shotgun (the one with 4 barrels).

Enemies: Nosalises, both Walkers and Flyers

Tactics: The walking Nosalises can be a pain because they're fast and deadly with it due to their powerful melee attacks so kill these guys from a distance but use the Duplet if they get up close and personal. The real danger is from the Flyers, because they will spit a toxic substance at you that will both slow you down and make you far more vulnerable to damage so kill them immediately! Another reason why the Flyers are so dangerous is because the stuff they spit out, will also muffle the sounds around you so it becomes a lot harder to tell where attacks are coming from.

For this mission you will also be given some Incendiary Grenades and these are invaluable once the Nosalises start attacking the gate that blocks entry into the arena, because you can rack up a lot of kills and MGRs by killing several at once.

In Waves 2+4, a siren will go off periodically to indicate that the Nosalises are attacking the main gate from the other side so kill them quickly, else they'll destroy it and you will soon find yourself swamped by hordes of Nosalises.

Mission 3:

Rating recommendation: Normal

Number of Waves: 4

Weapon recommendations: Swap out your Kalash for the Kalash 2012 Assault Rifle and the Revolver for the Valve Sniper Rifle. In addition to the usual Grenades, you will also be given some Sticky Spike Grenades. SSGs are essential for when the Nosalises start attacking the gates, because you can wipe out an entire horde with just 1 Grenade.

Enemies: Nosalises (Walkers and Flyers)

Tactics: It's in this mission that you get the ability to summon your own soldiers, which consist of Snipers and regular soldiers but save them for when you are really in danger as else you will be making a costly mistake. You can find summon points scattered around the arena (they're denoted by 2-3 holographic people) so press :square: to summon some soldiers, you have no control over who they target or when to move but they are literal life savers.

For the first Wave you can get away with just sniping the Nosalises from your starting point as they spawn so far off, that you have more than enough time to kill them before they get to you. Wave 2 is where things start getting tricky because you'll have several attempts on the gates and the Flying Nosalises will put in an aggressive appearance. In Wave 3 you may want to consider deploying some of the soldiers you have available, because the end of this Wave and the whole of Wave 4 will get really frantic if the Nosalises manage to break through the gates.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed some broken links.

Mission 4:

Rating recommendation: HUGE because this mission is where you'll be going for the Willpower trophy.

Number of Waves: 5

Weapon recommendations: Keep roughly the same loadout as before but swap the Duplet for the Shambler. There are some spare Medkits scattered around the arena so keep an eye out for them.

Enemies: Humans

Tactics: Head up to the top level and crouch behind one of the sets of Gas Cylinders (don't worry, they won't explode if hit) next to the Sniper summon point, from here you can pick off any enemies that come up the stairs on the left and right hand sides of the arena or from the one of the 3 lifts. From Wave 2 onwards, the enemies will start chucking Grenades at you so watch out but otherwise they'll stick to using their Assault Rifles and Shotguns. Once you have 35 MGRs, summon the Snipers (their summon point is right behind you) then rebuild your cash reserves so you can get more ammo as you'll likely be running low by this point but use 15 MGRs to summon some soldiers if you get really stuck (their summon point is near your starting area for this mission).

In Wave 3, things are really going to heat up because enemy Snipers will start showing up so be prepared and set some Claymores near your hiding place should they get too close. Protect your A.I soldiers and fire in short bursts, else you'll run out of ammo and your soldiers will suffer because of it.

The Willpower trophy will pop once you have returned to the Virtual Lobby.

Mission 5:

Rating recommendation: N/A as there is only one available.

Number of Waves: 3

Weapon recommendations: Keep roughly the same loadout before but swap out the Shambler for the Saiga Automatic Shotgun. You will be given a Minigun to use but do not pick it up until mid-way through Wave 3 as it burns through ammo at an extreme rate, has a very slow reload time and you'll need it for use against some deadly dangerous enemies that appear right near the end of the Wave and the mission.

Enemies: Nosalises (walkers only) and Librarians.

Tactics: For this mission you'll be stuck in a small room with no effective cover so keep moving but be careful with your aim as you don't have much ammo and trying to melee a Nosalises is suicide. For the first 2 Waves you just want to keep moving to avoid taking damage, whilst also lobbing Grenades at the gates whenever they get attacked. For the 3rd and final Wave, immediately pick up the Minigun (drop the Valve as it won't be of much use now) but wait until the Librarians show up before deploying your soldiers as you'll need them for crowd control. The Librarians are huge mutated Gorillas that not only have a ton of health but are the single deadliest creatures in this DLC so once these guys show up, you want to retreat to the very back of the room and let rip with the Minigun as it's the only thing that can kill them. With luck, the numerous Claymores that are scattered around the area will kill or seriously weaken the enemies so you can finish them off the Minigun.

You should be able to thin out the enemy numbers just enough with your troops, Claymores and some Grenades so you can focus on the Librarians without too many Nosalises getting in the way. The trophy will pop once you've killed the last of the enemies and watched the ensuing cutscene.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

60.jpg Willpower (B)

Complete at least one HUGE mission.

MISSABLE

See Test Complete for a full walkthrough of how to get this in mission 4. There are 3 different mission sizes i.e. Normal, Hard and HUGE but the differences between them are few:

1: More enemies and different enemy types on Hard and HUGE.

2: Some missions on Hard will be in darkness but Normal and HUGE will be in daylight.

3: More and longer Waves on Hard and HUGE (the default for Normal is 2-4).

You can only attempt this trophy in missions 2, 3 and 4 because those are the only ones that allow you to choose your mission size, whereas missions 1 and 5 only provide one size option which is a variation on Normal.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed a broken link.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the guide!

I noticed when I did the HUGE map on mission 4, it was only 3 rounds for me instead of 5 like the guide says. Either way, made it an easy trophy with the good camping spot up top :)

The final area and first area were pretty hard, but I probably struggled most with level 3. The last 2 waves with all the flying enemies kept screwing me up and killing me :(

The last challenge was scary. I was 1 hit from death when the giant gorilla-things came and I managed to barely win by sitting in the back corner.

Thanks for the guide!

I noticed when I did the HUGE map on mission 4, it was only 3 rounds for me instead of 5 like the guide says. Either way, made it an easy trophy with the good camping spot up top :)

The final area and first area were pretty hard, but I probably struggled most with level 3. The last 2 waves with all the flying enemies kept screwing me up and killing me :(

The last challenge was scary. I was 1 hit from death when the giant gorilla-things came and I managed to barely win by sitting in the back corner.

Thank you for the info, I must have mis-counted when tallying the waves so I'll correct this now :).

• 5 months later...

What a peculiar DLC this was...a shooting-centric horde mode in a game predominantly based on stealth. I just couldn't get into it, it felt incongruous with the ethos of the game and it kinda shows up the gunplay to be a little weak in my opinion.

The difficulty was also extremely off and imbalanced, I did Missions 1, 2, 3 and 5 all on my first try but Mission 3 took me about 2 hours and 20 tries :confused: I'd hate to try this mode on any difficulty higher than Easy...

Anyway, thank you very much for the guide mate, although I have a couple of fixes:

1. In the glitch section, mark down the Duplet for another double-fire nightmare. I can't tell you how many failures on Mission 3 were due to it firing all 4 bullets at once into an enemy and I'd be struck down while reloading.

2. Calling in soldiers to help doesn't increase in price every time you use it, each summoning station has a different cost (probably dictated by their strategic position and how powerful they are). For example, in Misson 3 the soldiers next to where you spawn will always cost 10, but the ones at the back will cost 40 and the ones upstairs on the flanks 20 and 30 (I think). The ones at the front will still be 10 if you bought the 40 ones first.

3. I'm not sure what Jerry is on about in Mission 4, there were definitely 5 Waves and not 3 like he said...the gate even has a giant "WAVE X/5" sign above it. You were right originally.

4. Small typo, at the very end of Test Complete you say "ensuring cutscene"...pretty sure this should say "ensuing" :p

Glad this DLC was out the way first and the other ones that are part of the actual story are to come as they look genuine fun.

What a peculiar DLC this was...a shooting-centric horde mode in a game predominantly based on stealth. I just couldn't get into it, it felt incongruous with the ethos of the game and it kinda shows up the gunplay to be a little weak in my opinion.

The difficulty was also extremely off and imbalanced, I did Missions 1, 2, 3 and 5 all on my first try but Mission 3 took me about 2 hours and 20 tries :confused: I'd hate to try this mode on any difficulty higher than Easy...

Anyway, thank you very much for the guide mate, although I have a couple of fixes:

1. In the glitch section, mark down the Duplet for another double-fire nightmare. I can't tell you how many failures on Mission 3 were due to it firing all 4 bullets at once into an enemy and I'd be struck down while reloading.

2. Calling in soldiers to help doesn't increase in price every time you use it, each summoning station has a different cost (probably dictated by their strategic position and how powerful they are). For example, in Mission 3 the soldiers next to where you spawn will always cost 10, but the ones at the back will cost 40 and the ones upstairs on the flanks 20 and 30 (I think). The ones at the front will still be 10 if you bought the 40 ones first.

3. I'm not sure what Jerry is on about in Mission 4, there were definitely 5 Waves and not 3 like he said...the gate even has a giant "WAVE X/5" sign above it. You were right originally.

4. Small typo, at the very end of Test Complete you say "ensuring cutscene"...pretty sure this should say "ensuing" :p

Glad this DLC was out the way first and the other ones that are part of the actual story are to come as they look genuine fun.

Thank you for the info, I'll get it added shortly :).

• 6 months later...

Is it just me or is this way easier on PS3 than PS4? I did it easily only dying once on Mission 2 and once on 5, I didn't even come close to dying once against the humans and did the Huge on mission 2.

It's definitely considerably more difficult on PS4, without the sip glitch to me, thanks for the tips though anyway, needed to refresh my memory from the Redux version :)

Is it just me or is this way easier on PS3 than PS4? I did it easily only dying once on Mission 2 and once on 5, I didn't even come close to dying once against the humans and did the Huge on mission 2.

It's definitely considerably more difficult on PS4, without the sip glitch to me, thanks for the tips though anyway, needed to refresh my memory from the Redux version :)

Haven't played PS4 either, but definitely not one of the Remasters I'm inclined to do again!

What is the sip glitch?

• 5 months later...

You might wanna add that the "running in circles" trick also works here for Missions 2, 3, and 5 (the missions with the Nosalises). Yes, it'll take a bit longer for each mission to end this way, but if you're really struggling with those missions, then this is an efficient method to get through them. It certainly does help that those missions are time-based and not kill-based like the Arena Challenges in the Developer Pack (meaning that each wave ends after a specific amount of time, a few minutes at most). And yes, the Flyers will sometimes slow you down for a second, but you still won't take any significant damage from the other Nosalises if you play on Easy difficulty (that, and you'll be running again in no time). So yeah, keep holding that L3 button and running in ellipses (since the areas are very large) and you should make it through without dying. Use medkits if necessary, obviously.

Edited by cr1s2412

• 3 months later...

To anyone struggling with #3: go full offensive and build an army. Get 5 sniper kills right off the bat and buy the soldiers on the bottom, as soon as you can move upstairs and keep sniping. 10 more sniper kills and you can buy a soldier pack in either side all in wave 1. Wave two you get enough to buy the second pack and if the bottom guys aren't dead yet, good. Stay on bottom with the shotgun tanking all damage. By the end of the round you should have enough to buy the back guys (costs 40). Buy them and get back to the middle. By now you should have used a single, maybe 2 ammo refilled (opposite side of bottom soldier purchase) the following waves are going to be gate-heavy and while sniping is an option, throw your grenades at the gates when full, you should easily get a multi kill per grenade, that's 10+ points. The refill packs also fill up your grenades and at this point your worry is not killing enemies or surviving, but barring the gates from destruction. Don't worry about being attacked. If you have all soldiers alive, they honna have your back most of the time, unless they are hunting a jumping enemy on the pillars. You should have the soldiers alive and the gates up until halfway 4th (and last round), then it's just a matter of f making a last stand and running to the back whenever the front soldiers die (or there is just one left). Whenever the bottom guys dies and you are on wave 4, feel free to move up and keep shotgun warrioring.

I thought the guy above was crazy about challenge 4 as well, but i just did the huge version and I'm 95% sure it ended on round 3/5. I was like WTF???!! I hadn't even purchased all soldiers, nor ammo replenishment and i had 65 points left. However, i made sure no alarms were triggered at all. Third wave ended randomly (timed trigger). I was looking for any remaining enemies and couldn't find any, suddenly i got 2 points and the doctors started talking and i got willpower.