Official CFL Thread

Jerry Appleby

Didn't see any CFL thread so I thought I'd make one, even though I know CFL isn't that popular, even in Canada where it is based. :(

CFL stands for Canadian Football League, it's almost identical to the NFL except it has been around almost twice as long (103 years this year), and the rules are slightly different.

There are 3 downs in CFL instead of 4 like in NFL, and the field is 110 yards long and about 50 yards wide. There's a few other minor differences, but it's still good fun football to watch! :D

Post your favourite teams, and feel free to discuss anything CFL related!

My favourite team is the BC Lions, they are currently playing the Ottawa RedBlacks today (Worst team name ever!!).

I have season tickets to all the Lions games, and I try to watch as many games as I can, I also try to watch as many as the other games as I can, since it's only 4 games a week. But I never miss a Lions game!

Jerry since you are a BC Lions fan, you must remember the great Doug Flutie. After throwing one of the most amazing passes in college, I still remember watching him play. So glad that he had such an great career in Canada. No he didn't stay there long but he threw for a record 6,619 yards in 1991 with the Lions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Flutie

His thrilling pass from college that came before his CFL fame.

[ame]

[/ame]

Jerry since you are a BC Lions fan, you must remember the great Doug Flutie. After throwing one of the most amazing passes in college, I still remember watching him play. So glad that he had such an great career in Canada. No he didn't stay there long but he threw for a record 6,619 yards in 1991 with the Lions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Flutie

His thrilling pass from college that came before his CFL fame.

Yeah of course I've heard of him! :D Although I was just a toddler when he played for the Lions, but I know he's one of the all time great Lion players!

Actually, my grandpa used to be the team doctor from 1964 until 1994, so he knows of all the great players from back in the day :)

Sometimes during meet/greets with old players, I'll mention his name, and they'll start talking about all the good times being with him! It really makes me feel special to see him get recognition!

He's also on their wall of fame, and just recently inducted into the BC Football Hall of Fame:

BC Football Hall of Fame (He's the 2nd row left side picture)

When I went to his induction ceremony, he got an amazing standing ovation from all the old players from the 80's, I was very emotional and proud for him to receive that honour!

Yeah of course I've heard of him! :D Although I was just a toddler when he played for the Lions, but I know he's one of the all time great Lion players!

Actually, my grandpa used to be the team doctor from 1964 until 1994, so he knows of all the great players from back in the day :)

Sometimes during meet/greets with old players, I'll mention his name, and they'll start talking about all the good times being with him! It really makes me feel special to see him get recognition!

He's also on their wall of fame, and just recently inducted into the BC Football Hall of Fame:

BC Football Hall of Fame (He's the 2nd row left side picture)

When I went to his induction ceremony, he got an amazing standing ovation from all the old players from the 80's, I was very emotional and proud for him to receive that honour!

Thanks for making me feel old. :D Cool that your grandpa was the doctor. You should have some great collectibles. You experienced an amazing moment to see him inducted in the hall of fame. That's a wonderful life moment.

Holy crap, today's CFL game with the BC Lions against the Saskatchewan Roughriders was amazing! :eek:

I went to the game and Riders were pretty much destroying BC.

But in the last 3 minutes of the game, BC was down by 11 points. They scored a TD + 2 point convert (8 points), then stopped the Riders next possession. Next possession, BC nails a 56 yard Field Goal to force OT in the last 10 seconds! :D

Then in OT, the Riders get a FG, but Lions get a TD to win the game! :dance: :dance:

The old saying in the CFL is "No Lead Is Safe," games like this prove why the CFL is the best in that anything can happen at the end! ;)

edit: Highlights of the game here

Edited by Jerry Appleby

Holy crap, today's CFL game with the BC Lions against the Saskatchewan Roughriders was amazing! :eek:

I went to the game and Riders were pretty much destroying BC.

But in the last 3 minutes of the game, BC was down by 11 points. They scored a TD + 2 point convert (8 points), then stopped the Riders next possession. Next possession, BC nails a 56 yard Field Goal to force OT in the last 10 seconds! :D

Then in OT, the Riders get a FG, but Lions get a TD to win the game! :dance: :dance:

The old saying in the CFL is "No Lead Is Safe," games like this prove why the CFL is the best in that anything can happen at the end! ;)

edit: Highlights of the game here

Maybe if you know when the games are in advance I could see if they are on tv here Jerry.

Maybe if you know when the games are in advance I could see if they are on tv here Jerry.

BC Lions schedule

All CFL games schedule

Don't know if they televise many CFL games in the states, but I know they have a mini-partnership with ESPN for some CFL games every week I believe. Just don't forget to change the time-zone to your own so you don't miss a game by a few hours XD

Actually, HERE is a link to what appears to be the games showing in the states this year, hope this helps. :)

Just noticed the thread.... the comeback on the opener was super sweet! No lead is safe in the CFL :p Especially when the Lions are the ones trailing!

:thumbsup: Was such a fun game to be at! (Btw I have connections to the Lions, so if you & some of our other PST friends wanna see a game, let me know ;) )

I only made the thread last week lol, but unfortunately CFL doesn't have that many followers compared to other sports, so I can pretty much see this being a "Jerry post count" thread instead XD I'm hoping that by posting about the games here can lead to more people checking it out and hopefully enjoying the games!

BC Lions schedule

All CFL games schedule

Don't know if they televise many CFL games in the states, but I know they have a mini-partnership with ESPN for some CFL games every week I believe. Just don't forget to change the time-zone to your own so you don't miss a game by a few hours XD

Actually, HERE is a link to what appears to be the games showing in the states this year, hope this helps.

Thanks for the schedule Jerry.

One thing I always thought was cool were the rule differences. Makes it more interesting for me.

Edited by kfree7

Friday Night Football!! :dance: Never a better night to watch football!

BC has a rematch with Saskatchewan tonight! Riders are looking for their first win of the season (0-3), and after blowing an 11 point lead in the last 3 minutes last week, they're gonna have to be careful this week!

BC is 1-1 right now, with the win coming last week against Sask, so this rematch is huge for both teams!

Hope the Lions can pull out a win tonight!

BC Lions defeated the Saskatchewan Roughriders 27-24! :dance:

Lions are doing well so far, 2-1 on the season right now, and more importantly, Riders are 0-4 :rofl:

Lions had some sweet plays, there was 1 fake hand-off and our QB Lulay ran a good 20+ yards on the 1 play. He finished the night with over 100 yards rushing, which is insane for a QB to get numbers like that!

I'm surprised with my Al's this years. We've had great teams over the last 15 years. But since Calvillo is gone, we struggeled most of the time. Cato though is really surprising me. I still have my reserve, he is only 23, and no others teams had videos or informations about him, but for now, he just keep things simple and the defense make the rest.

We already have 2 wins, and last year i think we got our 2nd win at the 10th game.

I'm surprised with my Al's this years. We've had great teams over the last 15 years. But since Calvillo is gone, we struggeled most of the time. Cato though is really surprising me. I still have my reserve, he is only 23, and no others teams had videos or informations about him, but for now, he just keep things simple and the defense make the rest.

We already have 2 wins, and last year i think we got our 2nd win at the 10th game.

Yay finally nice to see another CFL fan posting something! :dance:

Als had a terrible last year with all the QB controversy, I'd like to see them do well, but I guess we know that it was really Calvillo that was the mastermind of their great teams over the years :p

BC Lions play Toronto Argonauts tonight, going to the game and I have a few coupons for free food at the stadium today :D

Alright, how did the Lions lose that one? Last I checked we were more than double the Argos, and then......... :facepalm: That was such a disappoint loss.

Yeah terrible. They were up 21-0 by halfway through the second quarter, then had like no offense the rest of the game.

Well, at least they had a good start, they just need to keep that going and not give up any unnecessary penalties.

Lol, you just wait until NFL season starts. :p

Fuck that, can't stand the NFL, it's such overhyped garbage, and too many off field scandals and issues.

But yeah, once the season starts in the states, nobody will care about CFL anymore. :(

At least it's getting coverage this year though, even if it's only on EPSN 2 and 3. Last year they only televised like 5 games plus the playoffs/Grey Cup game, so I'm happy it's gaining interest at the least :)

Fuck that, can't stand the NFL, it's such overhyped garbage, and too many off field scandals and issues.

But yeah, once the season starts in the states, nobody will care about CFL anymore. :(

At least it's getting coverage this year though, even if it's only on EPSN 2 and 3. Last year they only televised like 5 games plus the playoffs/Grey Cup game, so I'm happy it's gaining interest at the least :)

I guess it depends on preference. I've grown up knowing the BC Lions were the home team for the CFL, but I never really watched any of the games until that one year we were making a run for the Grey Cup (and won!). I've been watching the Seahawks a couple years before I started watching the Lions :whistle:

BC Lions play the Edmonton Eskimos tonight! Should be a tough game since Edmonton is 4-1 while BC is 2-3. Hopefully the Lions win though!

I'll be there to cheer them on! :D

We've been to a number of our home teams football games. They are always very exciting. Do you go to many games Jerry?