The Cricket Thread

sevenpanda

A thread to talk about all things cricket! (Surely I'm not the only cricket fan here :p)

So, starting off with the Champions Trophy, England are looking OK so far...they've set a good target against Sri Lanka so if they win then they are through to the semis.

(Apologies to mods if another thread like this already exists, I checked the first few pages and there were no similar threads)

Fantastic innings from Sangakkara... Saw most of it, hats off to Sri Lanka, they do have a safe one day team... But that is the one dayers for you in a nutshell. Bash, boom and wallop. With a bit of luck and it's game won

We should, beat New Zealand though to see us through....

haha, Panda, I have a feeling that his thread will be a convo with just be you and I.... We may as well send VMs :D

What does everyone think of Warner and Roots incident :p

I hear Warner's favourite Veg is Beetroot!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA, I am here all week :D

yeah, was a bit silly, they all kissed and made up on the night. Warner even picked up the bill. It was just one those things which happens when you have too much to drink.

But they are sports stars and they have to be responsible. So he may lose his ashes place as result of it :/

England are so lucky. They will get annihilated if they have to face India during the semis.

And, James Anderson actually thinks he is a world class bowler. What a load of shit comparing himself to the likes of Pollock, Mcgrath, Ambrose, Akram.

where's he said that he thinks he's world class?

i know there's been an interview on the radio this week, but i don't imagine that he said "i am world class".

i could be wrong and wil listen to the i/v on the iplayer and apologise if he has said that.

also, he IS world class, in the company of those who are currently bowling around the world NOW.

he's not in the top echelon of all time greats, but again, i'm not sure anyone has ever said he is/was.

he's also doing ok this morning, which is nice.

Well, England choked, or more like they had no business being in the finals. Winning the toss is basically winning the match on that type of wicket, and well, they couldn't capitalize (like India did in the semis).

India are quite possibly the best ODI team at the moment. Congratulations to them.

Well, England choked, or more like they had no business being in the finals. Winning the toss is basically winning the match on that type of wicket, and well, they couldn't capitalize (like India did in the semis).

India are quite possibly the best ODI team at the moment. Congratulations to them.

ODI, anyone can win them... It is all down to luck... England were destined to win near the end, they only needed 20 of 15... Then it just went wrong, beyond their control...

England could have played that innings 100 times. 50 times they would have just won and 50 times they would have lost. It is lottery which allows mediocre players like Bopara to look decent..

ODI, anyone can win them... It is all down to luck... England were destined to win near the end, they only needed 20 of 15... Then it just went wrong, beyond their control...

England could have played that innings 100 times. 50 times they would have just won and 50 times they would have lost. It is lottery which allows mediocre players like Bopara to look decent..

In 2013 and not just that game Bopara has been class an well deserves a place in the ashes. you should always pick your form players and him, trott and root are our top 3 in form players.

Wow, I came to the Sports Bar to create a cricket thread as I've never seen one, only to see you beat me to it by a couple of weeks :o

Here's my favourite team:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Fried_crickets_in_Cambodia.jpg

(Someone was going to make that joke eventually so made sure I got in there first :p)

Bring on the Ashes and another chance to smash the Aussies!!

Oh you must think the Aussies winning streak under Steve Waugh was all just a fluke, huh? All luck, and no skills at all; the Australian Treble all a matter of chance. I bet Zimbabwe are going to win the next world cup.

Oh you must think the Aussies winning streak under Steve Waugh was all just a fluke, huh? All luck, and no skills at all; the Australian Treble all a matter of chance. I bet Zimbabwe are going to win the next world cup.

Got to agree with this Emily; yes there are uncontrollable factors like there are in any sport (changing overhead conditions, pitch deterioration, losing the toss), but 9/10 the best team will come through and the winner of the tournament is the team that deserves it.

1. i asked a mod if this was ok and have been told yes, so don't be shouting at me!

so, here goes, last summer i was part of a group of volunteers who built a 70 seat community cinema in north manchester

see here

Moston | A Small Cinema < scroll down for a blog about the building of the cinema.

and now i'm on the committee there.

as a result, im putting on our first ever cricket film festival from Aug 1-3.

3 films, 3 days, £3 a ticket. we're calling it #cricfest.

anyway

Aug 1 - From the Ashes

Aug 2 - Out Of The Ashes

Aug 3 - P'Tang Yang Kipperbang

have been chosen.

i tried to get

Fire In Babylon - distribution company in administration :~(

Beyond All Boundaries - Sushrut Jain (director) was hoping to get it into london & edinburgh festivals so couldn't commit.

and considered Lagaan but had to say no in the end; too long, given we may not start til 8:30.

so, if you're at the Old Trafford test, or live local to manchester, please feel free to come along, we'd love the company.

btw, i'm still a volunteer there so stand to make nothing out of this.

also, if we do manage to make any money, it all goes back into the cinema and helping us put films on for the community (which we often do for FREE - depends on whether we have to pay to source the films or not tbh).

all contact/ticket details are on the link above, so please get in touch if you have any queries.

thanks for reading this, if you did.

regards, paul.

@algernonradish