NCAA Football

Pirate

Sorry to be making another sports thread so soon :D, but seriously the season is about to begin(little more than a month).

Basically all NCAA Football discussions can now be done here, whether it's representing your team or trashing another(within reason ;)). So I guess I'll start with a hot topic:

Is the BCS system currently in place fair/efficient?

Discuss.....

Yes it's what makes it different from NFL. NCAA football is better than the NFL. The BCS system is awesome.

fair no but its better than the old system, never will we have a playoff which is what we should have so why not argue just embrace it

Think about this:

Since teams are voted into the "Championship Game"(really isn't), the teams in the lower conferences never, ever, ever, ever, ever will have a chance to play in this game. Undoubtedly, you already knew this and just have chosen to ignore it.

Two years ago(for the NCAA tourney), George Mason made a run that destroyed everyone's brackets(to the Final Four). Anybody can obviously tell, no one would have ever voted them into this "position". They got there through hard work and skill.

This however cannot be said for the Football side of the NCAA. The same teams are voted every year(SEC,Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10). There will never be a "Cinderella team" or an upset, because are you really surprised Florida, OU, Ohio, Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, ect. made the BCS game again? No, of course not. Do you really find this entertaining? Would you really not get more enjoyment from an Eight Team Tournament?

Would it be hard to implement? Absolutely, could take years, decades even. Would cost a lot of money as well. Is it worth it? Absolutely, the entertainment value for an NCAA football tournament would be so much higher than the current system. More viewers equals more profit as well.

So let's do a review of the BCS system:

Is it efficient? Nope, but is it fair? No again, but no one seems to care as long as the bigger conferences get their bowl victories year after year by getting voted in.

I trust everyone now knows my stance ;)

Think about this:

Since teams are voted into the "Championship Game"(really isn't), the teams in the lower conferences never, ever, ever, ever, ever will have a chance to play in this game. Undoubtedly, you already knew this and just have chosen to ignore it.

Two years ago(for the NCAA tourney), George Mason made a run that destroyed everyone's brackets(to the Final Four). Anybody can obviously tell, no one would have ever voted them into this "position". They got there through hard work and skill.

This however cannot be said for the Football side of the NCAA. The same teams are voted every year(SEC,Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10). There will never be a "Cinderella team" or an upset, because are you really surprised Florida, OU, Ohio, Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, ect. made the BCS game again? No, of course not. Do you really find this entertaining? Would you really not get more enjoyment from an Eight Team Tournament?

Would it be hard to implement? Absolutely, could take years, decades even. Would cost a lot of money as well. Is it worth it? Absolutely, the entertainment value for an NCAA football tournament would be so much higher than the current system. More viewers equals more profit as well.

So let's do a review of the BCS system:

Is it efficient? Nope, but is it fair? No again, but no one seems to care as long as the bigger conferences get their bowl victories year after year by getting voted in.

I trust everyone now knows my stance ;)

Well theres two sides to this. For the Smaller Cinderella teams look at their schedule. Do you really think that last season Utah should have gone to the BCS Championship being the only undefeated team? No they shouldn't have. Florida had 1 loss in what's considered the toughest conference in the NCAA. So schedule difficulty comes into play A LOT here.

Also this will never happen. The NCAA loves their bowls too much.

Well theres two sides to this. For the Smaller Cinderella teams look at their schedule. Do you really think that last season Utah should have gone to the BCS Championship being the only undefeated team? No they shouldn't have. Florida had 1 loss in what's considered the toughest conference in the NCAA. So schedule difficulty comes into play A LOT here.

Which is why I brought George Mason into the mix.....

Yes, they had a "easy" regular season schedule, but that didn't stop them from getting far in the tourney, no?

Also this will never happen. The NCAA loves their bowls too much.

I'm not saying it would happen(humans are too stubborn), I'm just saying it could/should happen ;)

Which is why I brought George Mason into the mix.....

Yes, they had a "easy" regular season schedule, but that didn't stop them from getting far in the tourney, no?

I'm not saying it would happen(humans are too stubborn), I'm just saying it could/should happen ;)

Ya same with Utah beating Alabama. But Alabama was HIGHLY overrated. Though being #1 for a couple months they weren't as good as everyone thought. But yes George Mason was a suprise. But how often does that happen?

Ya same with Utah beating Alabama. But Alabama was HIGHLY overrated. Though being #1 for a couple months they weren't as good as everyone thought. But yes George Mason was a suprise. But how often does that happen?

You'd be surprised.......

Just a few off the top of my head:

Michigan vs. Appalachia State(ASU wins)

USC vs. Stanford(Stanford wins)

And possibly the greatest college football game ever played-

OU vs. Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl

You'd be surprised.......

Just a few off the top of my head:

Michigan vs. Appalachia State(ASU wins)

USC vs. Stanford(Stanford wins)

And possibly the greatest college football game ever played-

OU vs. Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl

Michigan and ASU shouldn't count Michigan sucked so hard last season.

O ya no doubt. Things seem to be looking up for them though.

What's your favorite team? Penn state here.

A Nittany Lions fan eh? You guys have the biggest stadium in all of college football if I'm not mistaking ;)

Also, I'm a die hard Missouri fan. My whole family has gone there and I've been going to their games my entire life.

It also helps I live right by the campus as well :p

A Nittany Lions fan eh? You guys have the biggest stadium in all of college football if I'm not mistaking ;)

Also, I'm a die hard Missouri fan. My whole family has gone there and I've been going to their games my entire life.

It also helps I live right by the campus as well :p

The whiteout, there is nothing like it.

There's only three ways I don't want the Big 12 to win a National Title.

1. OU Football(for reasons mentioned above)

2. KU for anything(Jayhawks can just go roast themselves on a nice fire :D)

3. K-State for anything(Rudest fans in the entire Big 12 :mad:)

^ Besides that, I would love the Big 12 to win a National Championship :cool:

^ Exactly why I hate the BCS system ;)(this is directed at Legend)

No offense to any fans here, but I think Ohio State is completely overrated. My grandparents are fans, so they bought me a shirt with the logo on it.

Haven't worn it yet :p

@stiff: That's pretty much fan behavior at every football game :rolleyes:

K-State fans will go out of the way to make your time at their stadium as miserable as possible, whether they're sober or not.....