Official Boxing Thread

Stephen274

So, ever since I joined this site, I haven't noticed an OFFICIAL BOXING THREAD so I'm going to try my hand at it. Hopefully it will gather some attention from other boxing fans on the site.

I will start this thread off with a debated topic: Do you think there is any hope of a title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao?

Feel free to talk about anything else boxing related here, so this thread doesn't die off.

I hope this thread last...

about the topic... The Mayweather-Pacquiao fight will happen, no doubt about it. It's just a matter of when.

I'm a Pacquiao fan, so let me say this to the Mayweather fans who think Pacquiao is using steroids : Pacquiao has NEVER tested positive in all of his IMMEDIATE post-fight drug tests, and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way forever, especially with the baseless steroid accusations.

If people think Pacquiao is ducking opponents, then guess again! It's not Pacquiao who chooses his oponents — It's his promoter, Bob Arum, who doesn't give a shit about anyone, except for himself and money. There were a lot of good potential opponents for Pacquiao, but he chose those high-profile old guys who are past their prime. Lol, there is no doubt that they're just going to be treated as punching bags by Pacquiao. *sigh. It's all about the money, man.

Mayweather using xylocaine a.k.a. "painkillers" in fights is non-debatable xD

Edited by alec613

Well, not the turn out I hoped.....

As a Mayweather fan I will respond. I understand the criticism over the steroid issue but I criticize his unwillingness for another reason. I just think it makes him look like a punk in my eyes. I don't think he takes steroids but he should be willing to get get some blood taken. I personally have a condition where I get my blood taken every couple of months, so maybe I'm used to needles. But declining because he was unwilling to take some blood just makes him look like a pussy in my book. He may say it is spiritual or some superstition but I think otherwise. That is my criticism over the issue. the one other thing that made me lose respect for Pacquiao was the Clottey fight. Come on? Clottey? He isn't even fit to fight on an international level. Did you not see his international debut against Cotto? This was the worst decision by Pacquiao's promotors ever. Pacquiao needs to speak to his promotors or get new management. People act like he can't decline fights or talk to Arum, but he can. In the end, that fight tarnished his image for me.

But I have to criticize Mayweather also for not accepting the other chances Bob Arum gave him to fight Mayweather. But all in all, I know like you it is a promotional issue. I think promotors nowadays worry more about making money than giving us the fans want we want to see. These promotors would rather have their fighters fight past-their-prime fighters or those who have no chance against them.

Ahh, yeah... The fact that Pacquiao has no mouth also pisses me off too.

One of the biggest reason why the fight didn't happen : Both sides want to get some sort of advantage on each other... Gloves, over-the-weight limit penalty, pre-drug test 14-day waiting period, 24-day waiting period, olympic style drug test, some neutral non-biased drug testing organization — You name it!

Both guys are immature outside the ring too. We got Mayweather for his his legal trouble & criminal charges, and Pacquiao for being such a childish and irresponsible politician. Oh there's those singing concerts too, lol.

I thought the Cotto-Clottey fight was boring. But hey, at least Clottey gave Cotto some trouble. And I think he is fit for international fighting. The only thing with the Pac-Clottey fight was that Clottey never intended to win. He just wanted to survive and was only in it for the money.

Edited by alec613

It's kind of amusing: I think us two are going to be the only ones to keep up this thread.

I was probably a little too harsh when I said Clottey wasn't fit for the international level. You're exactly right about his style. From watching his title fights, he only wants to cover up and survive. He did it against Cotto, but came out of his shell a little bit more than in the Pacquiao fight. I still just don't understand why Pacquiao and his promotors even considered Clottey after he lost a one-sided decision to Cotto, whom Pacquiao beat in a one-sided fashion.

Anyway, I want to address the Khan v. Judah fight. That card was probably the worst one I've ever seen and makes me wonder what is happening in the boxing world. I can't believe Judah went out like that. I was expecting so much more. Do you think he wimped out or did he actually think that was a low blow?

There's not enough talent in the boxing world right now -_-

about the Khan-Judah, we won't know for sure what the hell ever happened on that scene, so I'll just leave it like that. Anyways, even if the fight continued, Judah would still have lost the fight one-sidedly.

It's weird though.after the referee counted 10, Judah stood up instantly as if he wasn't in pain. Idk, he probably gave up and was just looking for an excuse to end the fight, or maybe he really was in pain after all and just decided to suck it up since the fight was already over.

Edited by alec613

Finally some more takers...

I'm not saying Bernard Hopkins isn't one of the best pond-for-pound fighters, but he needs to get back in the scene. I really enjoyed his fight against Pascal but I'm waiting for him to come back and take on someone even better. Pascal is a good fighter but he was outclassed by Hopkins. I loved watching Hopkins years ago, but his division isn't what it used to be.

But this is what we need, to keep this going...I hope more guys come to this discussion.

The thing is Hopkins has a style that is extremely difficult to diffuse and also in victory, to look against. October 15th, he has his hands full against Pascal victim, Chad Dawson. Now that's one tough fight to predict.

Yeah, that's the fight I want to see. I personally like Dawson and his style and I've been waiting for Hopkins to take him on. I definately will be watching that fight.

I'm also looking forward to the Mayweather v. Ortiz fight. Even though I lost some respect for Ortiz after he quit that one fight aginst Maidana, he surprised me with his win over Berto. This is more like it, Mayweather taking on a young fighter who is hungry to win. I think Pacquiao and his promotors should learn from this after picking Mosley to fight Pacquiao. What do you guys think?

Yeah, that's the fight I want to see. I personally like Dawson and his style and I've been waiting for Hopkins to take him on. I definately will be watching that fight.

I'm also looking forward to the Mayweather v. Ortiz fight. Even though I lost some respect for Ortiz after he quit that one fight aginst Maidana, he surprised me with his win over Berto. This is more like it, Mayweather taking on a young fighter who is hungry to win. I think Pacquiao and his promotors should learn from this after picking Mosley to fight Pacquiao. What do you guys think?

...against Maidana, who was almost crushed by the old, almost-out-of-shape Morales, who still managed to entertain the fans. He is, no doubt, the epitome of entertainment

I think Mayweather thinks of Ortiz as nothing but a sparring partner to prepare himself against Pacquiao.

I think, there's nothing for them to learn actually. All promoters (yes ALL) are like that. The promoters don't go for entertainment...They go for which fight can get them more money. To them, the entertaining factor is just a bonus.

Edited by alec613

Morales VS Matthyse on the undercard of Mayweather V Ortiz for the WBC Belt has been officially announced

I wonder what Morales is going to bring. He entertained us during the Maidana fight, so I'm pretty sure he's gonna do the same.

Damn he shouldn't have retired if he was just going to make a comeback while his body is out of shape

I hear ya.......boxing really needs that Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight to happen someday!

That's the problem — The superstars aren't eager to fight another superstar. Back then, you'd see HOF- worthy boxers fight each other

Edited by alec613

I wonder what Morales is going to bring. He entertained us during the Maidana fight, so I'm pretty sure he's gonna do the same.

Damn he shouldn't have retired if he was just going to make a comeback while his body is out of shape

That's the problem — The superstars aren't eager to fight another superstar. Back then, you'd see HOF- worthy boxers fight each other

I think too much crap gets in the way of big-time fights nowadays. Back in the day, you never heard boxers say they didn't want to fight because of promotors, discrepencies in contracts, etc. Too much BS nowadays in the boxing world. Promotors want too make their money and keep their cash cows on top.

I think the Morales fight will entertain but I think he should of stayed in retirement. None the less, I'm looking forward to the upcoming card. I'm just glad to see that Mayweather is still fighting and not sitting in jail.

The Pac Man and Money Mayweather fight must happen becuase it will promote the sport and finally reveal who the best pound for pound fighter is.

Mayweather has accused Pac Man of ducking the fight but i believe Mayweather himself his making excuses to avoid the fight.

Mayweather may talk a good game but he knows that Pac man is a boxer who can challenge him and therfore he is a bit apprehensive about the fight.

So Pacquiao filed a lawsuit against Mayweather for Mayweather's defamation of Pacquiao. Pacquiao is filing this lawsuit because Mayweather alleged that Pacquiao is on performance-enhancing drugs. Mayweather hasn't appeared at court so he will probably have to default and lose the lawsuit.

Here's the article: Pacquiao files for sanctions against Mayweather - Boxing - Yahoo! Sports

I think Mayweather deserves whats coming to him because he didn't go to court to defend himself. I also think Pacquiao is kind of overreacting. But that's just me.

Hey guys.....any thoughts about the rising interest and popularity of MMA (especially with the UFC) vs. the world of boxing?

Geo

I think the lack of participants in this thread will adequately answer your question. In relation to the MMA thread that is.

Pacquiao fighting Marquez isn't news xD. Pacquiao is gonna demolish Marquez this time. Marquez has been knocked down a lot of times by Pacquiao in their last 2 fights, and he's just going to get more.

About Pavlik...I'm pretty sure he considers himself as a big shot, but really... he isn't.

Lol, true; Everybody in their right mind knows Pacquiao is going to demolish Marquez again. I don't know if it's just me but Bob Arum seems to like to have Pacquaio pick at his leftovers. He is taking on a fighter that he beat very one-sided in their last encounter. They seem to be riding on that draw that happened in their first fight. He took on Clottey after fighting a guy that just beat Clottey. He fought Mosley who just got dominated by Mayweather earlier. The only fight he picked that gave me some hope recently was Margarito, and I knew he still had little hope of beating Pacquiao. I really want to see him fight someone new like Bradley.

And on Pavlik you took the words out of my mouth. The guy is not as hot as he used to be and he should be glad with what he's getting.

I think the lack of participants in this thread will adequately answer your question. In relation to the MMA thread that is.

Lol, true; Everybody in their right mind knows Pacquiao is going to demolish Marquez again. I don't know if it's just me but Bob Arum seems to like to have Pacquaio pick at his leftovers. He is taking on a fighter that he beat very one-sided in their last encounter. They seem to be riding on that draw that happened in their first fight. He took on Clottey after fighting a guy that just beat Clottey. He fought Mosley who just got dominated by Mayweather earlier. The only fight he picked that gave me some hope recently was Margarito, and I knew he still had little hope of beating Pacquiao. I really want to see him fight someone new like Bradley.

And on Pavlik you took the words out of my mouth. The guy is not as hot as he used to be and he should be glad with what he's getting.

Lol. I was a little bit nervous when Pacquiao was matched with Margarito. I kinda saw him as a threat

Exactly, Margarito was a threat. It did get my blood boiling to see them fight. That's why I want to see Pacquaio fight more people like that, instead of taking on someone like Marquez.

Anyway, I heard of this a couple days ago...Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito are scheduled to have their rematch on Dec. 3. Now this is a rematch I'm looking forward to. I'm a dedicated Cotto fan and would love to see him fight Margarito again. I personally think Margarito did something to his gloves in the first fight. Cotto bled A LOT more in that fight than I've ever seen in his other fights. Also I give Cotto respect for not raising the issue after the fight. When Margarito got caught in the Mosley fight, reporters asked Cotto about it and he didn't raise the issue. He said he accepted the loss and didn't care if Margarito used bad wraps.

Do you think Margarito packed his gloves in the Cotto fight? Think the rematch will go differently?

Edited by Stephen274