The Simpsons Arcade Game - Trophy Guide + Road Map

Jack

http://i.imgur.com/ljHLDt5.jpg

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 3/10 (Trophy Difficulty Rating)
  • Offline trophies: 12 (7(B), 4(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 6/10 (Estimated Time to 100%)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 4 but only 3 if you have two controllers
  • Number of missable trophies: 0
  • Glitched trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes, because you have to do 1 playthrough on Expert Difficulty and another with the Japanese ROM enabled.
  • Do trophies stack?: No
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats available.

Walkthrough:

Step 1: The first playthrough

I've noticed a lot of people doing this but you must do everything from stage 1. Anytime you switch the port to controller 2 or another player comes in anytime past stage 1, you will not get any trophy involving beating stages or completing a playthrough under special conditions so doing this or this will result in failure. To be safe make sure you start from the character select screen so joining a online game that's in the middle of the first stage might result in a playthrough that doesn't count for that character.

The game has level select so whatever you miss, can be easily retrieved.

You can get 100% without ever picking up a 2nd controller or going online. At the character select screen, hold down the :ps: and switch between the ports selecting the characters then switch back to player one. You can do this to get the 2 co-op trophies.

*Using this can also get you the "Like Taking Candy From a Baby" trophy if you have two controllers. Use controller 1 to select two characters and use the 2nd controller to select 2 characters, move the 4 characters up by doing team attacks. Bart/Lisa and Homer/Marge should be doing the team attacks together since it moves them both up and they hit everything whilst doing so.

Start the game on Easy or Expert mode if you want, either way you're going to knock the majority of the trophies out of the way on your first playthrough. From the Local game screen you can select 4 different options on how you want your game to be, you'll have to beat the game first for the other available ROM to unlock, so don't worry about that for now. Put the mode on free for all which will give you unlimited continues, this won't effect any of the trophies for now. Difficulty can be whatever you want but I suggest easy and make sure you have it set to stage 1, as some of the trophies require you to start from the beginning. Due to this, if you leave the game and come back later - you won't unlock them.

There will be some minigames where you have to mash :cross: and :square: really fast, try and do these as fast as possible as you need over 250 points by the end. You can select whichever character you wish, but you must select whatever character you haven't played as for your next full 3 playthroughs. Begin with 3 other people locally or online(or by yourself using the controller method above), this will help knock some of the other trophies out. From here till the end of the game, for your first playthrough, you should unlock the following trophies:

• (B) Easier Than Arm Wrestling*
  • (B) Falling For Smithers
  • (B) It Tastes Like Burning
  • (B) Bongo's Angst
  • (B) Battling Seizure Robots
  • (S) Best Score Ever

*It's ok if you miss this, as you will be forced to get it later on.

If you began your first playthrough with 4 other people(Local or online), you will also unlock the following trophies:

• (B) Dysfunctional Family
  • (B) Helper Monkey
  • Japanese ROM mode unlocked

Step 2: 30 minutes playthrough

Now you must do a speed run of the game in 30 minutes, run by enemies when you can and play on easy.

Trophies unlocked from step 2:

• (S) Release The Hounds

Step 3: Survival, Expert, Babies.

Now that you have acquainted yourself with the game, you have to get to the end of stage 3 on Survival mode. Or if you wish, you can begin expert mode. Expert is quite difficult as there are many more enemies on screen and they deal more damage. Not to mention you have to do it on Quarters mode where each player only has 10 credits before they receive a game over, nullifying the trophy. 4 players is my personal recommendation here but if you're up for it, then you can try with less players which will lead to less enemies. Be sure to play on the Japanese ROM.

Now you have an extra playthrough left(if you don't have two controllers and used the method listed above) since survival is only up to stage 3. Use this last playthrough to get whatever character you haven't beaten the game with yet for your final trophy.

Trophies unlocked from step 3:

• (S) Mr. Sparkle
  • (S) Like Taking Candy From a Baby
  • (G) "Excellent"
  • 100%

Edited by Jack

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trophy Guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/CDE.jpg Mr. Sparkle (S)

From stage 1, make it to the stage 3 bosses in Survival Mode with the Japanese ROM.

In this mode you only have 1 life and 0 continues. Luckily on the Japanese ROM, there are some nukes placed around the level for you to use, you can be on easy mode and you can overheal. Overhealing is when you eat an item with full health and it will continue to heal you, giving you part of another, yellow, health bar. Be sure to keep your distance and use range to your advantage, most enemies die in 1 to 2 hits but the fat pink shirted enemies die in 3. Be sure to use the hammer and slingshot when you find it, you only need to reach the end of stage 3, not beat it. To unlock the ROM, beat the game once and choose it when editing the game options.

See here for a video walkthrough (credit to Admiral Vic for this):

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/4A3.jpg Easier Than Arm Wrestling (B)

Defeat the Wrestler without any player dying.

The Wrestler is the very first boss you fight. Using simple hit and run tactics will take him down easily, be sure to play on easy mode and by yourself to lessen the chance of someone dying. If you're really having trouble, play on the Japanese ROM and overheal yourself with the single apple in the tree and the food Sherri/Terri are holding right before the fight.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/CB6.jpg Falling For Smithers (B)

Playing from stage 1, fall through the deck after Smithers.

You will get this trophy at the end of stage 2, when you beat the giant Krusty the clown head. Make sure you start from stage 1 and play up until the end of stage 2.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/A4C.jpg It Tastes Like Burning (B)

Hurt Smithers with one of his own bombs.

Smithers is found in Stage 8, right before fighting Mr. Burns. While fighting Smithers, he will occasionally drop a blue bomb while he is throwing his own at you. Pick these up and throw them at him.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/E19.jpg Dysfunctional Family (B)

Play in a 4-player match with three other people.

Locally or Online, start up a match with 4 people in the game. Use the boosting thread if you need any partners: LINK

Alternatively, Go to the character select screen, hold down the :ps: button and switch between all 4 ports. You can select all 4 characters with one controller this way without the game stopping you.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/08D.jpg Bongo's Angst (B)

Playing from stage 1, get Bongo to appear in 4 different levels.

Bongo is the white rabbit that appears in the hittable trees that drop food, there is a tree in Stage 1, 2, 5 and Stage 7. Hit the trees until food stops dropping from them and Bongo comes out telling you to go away.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/D0F.jpg Battling Seizure Robots (B)

Playing from stage 1, defeat the battling robot.

The robot(s) is located in Stage 7. He is a mid level boss and is accompanied by another robot if there are multiple players. Simply defeat him to get the trophy, be sure to start from Stage 1.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/463.jpg Helper Monkey (B)

While performing a Team Attack, damage 25 enemies.

To perform a Team Attack, stand still to another player, neither of you moving. Lisa and Bart will hold hands and run forward damaging everyone, Marge with Lisa or Bart, will pick them up then throw them, Marge with Homer will hold hands and begin rolling around damaging everyone, Homer with Lisa or Bart, will put them on his shoulders for them to attack. Fortunately, this doesn't need to be all at once since it's cumulative.

Alternatively, Go to the character select screen, hold down the :ps: button and switch between all 4 ports. You can select all 4 characters with one controller this way without the game stopping you. Start the game with Bart and have the other 'player' be Lisa, go stand next to her and you will hold hands. Now just run around damaging all the enemies and you should get it in no time!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/F15.jpg Best Score Ever (S)

Earn 250 points (US) or 25,000 points (Japan) in a game.

Killing bosses, enemies, eating food and winning minigames will earn you points. I did this online with this with a friend and was short just a few points so if you do it by yourself, I'm sure you will get it. If not, do it in the Japanese ROM as it's much easier there.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/5C5.jpg Release The Hounds (S)

Complete the game in 30 minutes or less.

Try and run past some of the enemies as the game will let you continue without killing them sometimes. I recommend doing this on easy by yourself as the bosses health bar is much lower and the enemy count is decreased. Here were my times at the end of each stage, I died a lot and missed some usable weapons but you have a lot of margin for error:

• Stage 1: 1:47
  • Stage 2: 4:05
  • Stage 3: 7:43
  • Stage 4: 10:28
  • Stage 5: 13:12
  • Stage 6: 16:14
  • Stage 7: 19:46
  • Stage 8: 23:12

Remember to pause the game, go to options, and turn the timer on in order for you to see how much time you have left. Even in moments where you're not playing, the clock will be ticking.

Also, see this video (credit to HiddenLongshot for this):

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/521.jpg Like Taking Candy From a Baby (S)

Complete the game four times, once with each character.

Bart and Marge have great range and Bart seems to be the perfect melee character so I recommend these two to be your last two characters needed for completion. Your first playthrough should be either Homer or Lisa, they have very short range and aren't good characters, especially Lisa since she randomly catches herself on her jump rope leaving you open for attack. Your first playthrough should be just an ordinary playthrough, getting most of the trophies in one go. Your 2nd playthrough will be the speed run, 3rd will be on expert and 4th will be whenever you wish as by now this trophy should be the last thing you need. Take note that getting a GAME OVER, which means losing all of your continues then dying will NULLIFY the playthrough. Meaning that if you beat the game with that character, it won't count, at all. Play on the Japanese ROM on easy if you want, it'll work fine for the trophy.

If you do this locally with 4 people, then it will unlock the trophy at the end in one playthrough.

Single player method:

Using the :ps: button trick can get you the trophy if you have two controllers. Use controller 1 to select two characters and use the 2nd controller to select 2 characters, move the 4 characters up by doing team attacks. Bart/Lisa and Homer/Marge should be doing the team attacks together since it moves them both up and they hit everything whilst doing so.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1375/F74.jpg "Excellent" (G)

Complete the game on Expert difficulty in individual Quarters mode.

Individual Quarters mode only gives you 10 credits before you get a Game Over. This isn't easy as enemies are stronger and bosses are more aggressive, 4 players is wanted here. Hit and run tactics and careful use of weapons will go a long way. If you are running low on health or credit, have the other 3 players defend you until you reach health or simply find 3 friends in the boosting thread: LINK. Once you get a game over, you will have to try again, plus your character won't count for this playthrough for the Like Taking Candy From a Baby trophy, so it's best to just end it there and start all over. Do it on the Japanese ROM, you can overheal and your health goes back to full at the end of each level. Use Bart or Marge, Lisa and Homer have terrible range plus Lisa seems to tie herself up in her jump rope a lot leaving you open. Some bosses have large hitboxes, such as the bowling ball and Mr. Burns, you can stand above them and be able to pound on them without them attacking back.

Some people say it's easier by yourself, I personally find no difference. With 3 other players I managed to get to the last stage with 1 credit and 2 lives on average, solo I find myself in the same exact situation.

Edited by Jack
Cleaned

Good guide here! You also want to note that when you're going for the "Excellent" trophy you should do it on the Japanese ROM. That way you will have more health items on each board and after you complete each level your health will go back to full. It doesn't do that for the USA version.

Remember to get the Japanese ROM you have to beat the game once.

Also for "Mr. Sparkle" you should really use Bart or Lisa (Lisa preferably because of her range) and just spam square+x to take enemies out quicker. Play it on easy while you're doing survival. The trophy will come as soon as you get to those bouncers/trench coat guys.

Nice job on the guide! Just thought i'd add that you can get the trophy for beating the game w/ all 4 characters in 2 run throughs in co-op if you both pick different characters for both playthroughs. Maybe it would unlock in 1 playthrough if you had 4 people all different characters?

For Bongo's Angst, the trees are located in levels 1,2,5 and 7. There isn't a tree in level 3 ;)

I knew I was gonna get that wrong because of how sleepy I was, despite it being written down on paper here ;)

Nice job on the guide! Just thought i'd add that you can get the trophy for beating the game w/ all 4 characters in 2 run throughs in co-op if you both pick different characters for both playthroughs. Maybe it would unlock in 1 playthrough if you had 4 people all different characters?

Nope, it has to be 4 playthroughs, each being one of the 4 characters.

Edited by Jack

Good guide, but I think it's harder than you say.

One thing: I don't think winning minigames gives you any points, at least on the American ROM. I know it says that you have X points, but I never saw them added to my score.

When you're with another person the score goes up I believe. I'm not home right now to test it.

Someone might have already mentioned this, but for the 4 Player trophy I just picked my first player, then changed the controller to 2 and picked the 2nd player.

Repeat this for all 4 player slots and Dysfunctional Family instantly pops up, no need for 4 controllers if you don't have them.

Great Guide BTW

Thanks for getting the guide up so quickly! I've nearly finished my second playthrough and I was worried about the gold trophy. Knowing that I can basically keep away from the action, letting three other players do all the work and I'll still get the trophy, makes me think that this will be an relatively easy 100%.

Do I take it then that "EXCELLENT" can't be done solo? With three other pads doing nothing while I beat the game myself?

More people in game = more enemies that you have to avoid that come from both sides, you won't be able to just leave your guy standing in a corner cause some will still target you and you should be controlling him to jump around out of danger.

I don't know why the guide recommends 4 people but all you need is 2, you and a partner who will do the work for you, again less people = less enemies, you will need to move/jump around way more to keep out of danger when playing with 4....

first of all i would definitely agree that solo expert is much easier than multiplayer. on the japanese rom, homer's jump kick and jumping weapon attacks will dominate everything, he has invincibility frames while jump kicking. also, the arm wrestling one is basically a requirement for mr. sparkle if playing solo, no need to bust your ass on the USA rom trying to get it. and bart has the best melee ground attack imo, making him best for solo expert.

also: first to get Mr. Sparkle on yourgamercards.net lol

first of all i would definitely agree that solo expert is much easier than multiplayer. on the japanese rom, homer's jump kick and jumping weapon attacks will dominate everything, he has invincibility frames while jump kicking. also, the arm wrestling one is basically a requirement for mr. sparkle if playing solo, no need to bust your ass on the USA rom trying to get it. and bart has the best melee ground attack imo, making him best for solo expert.

also: first to get Mr. Sparkle on yourgamercards.net lol

So are you saying that "EXCELLENT" can be done on your own?