The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Anyone play this in 1990/91 when it was on DOS?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me too :p I still kept the code wheels from both games (shrunken head mix n match for MI1, voodoo recipe mix for MI2) and needless to say, I'm a huge adventure fan, especially ones by Lucasarts. King's quest and Space quest series were awesome too, and Leisure Suit Larry wasn't that bad either for some cheezy jokes

I too didn't play it on DOS but on the Amiga.

Great game, the facelift makes it look even better, but it's great to hit select and see the old game. :D

I couldn't stand the new graphics, the interface just didn't feel Monkey Island to me. Like most, I prefer part I & II over the newer games. Not an elitist feeling, but it's hard seeing a classic get such a dramatic makeover, it's the same with any Hollywood remake I guess.

I had it select the majority of the game. Aside from the talking dialogue not working properly on the old version, it was just like playing the original all over again, except with trophies! :applause:

I played Monkey Island 1 and 2 around 1993. I was in 5th grade at the time, and still remember quite a lot of those games. Not many can make that claim at this point. MI3 was my favorite when it came out in '97, as I absolutely loved the art style and the voice work. Now I can experience the original (and soon the sequel) with the same art style and voices. Life is good. :D Unfortunately, MI4's style really didn't wow me, but I'm still interested in trying to pick up Tales of Monkey Island at some point.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend to remaster many of the old great games. The aforementioned Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, and Grim Fandango of course need to be done, but I can't believe no one mentioned Full Throttle or The Dig!

It'd be nice to see some of the Sierra adventure games done as well. King's Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory (Sierra liked quests!) got me through many youthful years, and I would like to relive those memories in glorious HD.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend to remaster many of the old great games. The aforementioned Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, and Grim Fandango of course need to be done, but I can't believe no one mentioned Full Throttle or The Dig!

It'd be nice to see some of the Sierra adventure games done as well. King's Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory (Sierra liked quests!) got me through many youthful years, and I would like to relive those memories in glorious HD.

of course there's The Dig, as well as Loom! and don't forget Maniac Mansion, I loved the fact it was playable within Day of the Tentacle :p

.... and yeah, somehow I forgot about Quest for Glory... there's Police Quest too LOL!

At the time i played all of the Monkey Island, my favorites were 1 and 2, Sam & Max, Manic mansion 1 and Manic mansion 2, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis, Beneath a Steel Sky and Grim Fandango, Awesome kind of games, graphic adventures ;)

I did, I have always been a huge Monkey Island fan, but after re-releasing the games it would be nice to see a new MI game as well down the line. That or even having them put out the Adventure Quest or Space Quest games out again as well.

You do know there are new Monkey Island games right? The license got purchased by Telltale Games and they have produced 3 seasons of it to date. (5 episodes a season)

One of my favourites. Totally revolutionary at the time (compared to the brutal deaths in the King's Quest series) and made pirates cool years before Johnny Depp wore mascara.

funny thing is the creator of Monkey Island actually drew a lot of inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland... I wondered about the association for quite a while, after spotting the "dog with jail key" scene in MI and the ride. that was back in the 90's

then of course, the movies came along a decade later

these days it's almost upsetting to go on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, because now the ride is plagued with stupid characters from the movie :rolleyes: