The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Game freezes and crash constantly

I've bought it yesterday and could complete it only %14 because of constant freezing problem. I'm using 60GB PAL Fat model and have latest firmware 3.30. Especially the section with clock tower (also there is a guy with a parrot) is freezing when you enter to one of those archways. Sometimes I can return to main menu by pressing start and selecting Quit Game but sometimes I have to restart system. It is getting annoying and needs a patch urgently.

So far I haven't had any freezing problems, but there was a part in the Melee village when I talked to the three pirates with the rat and the barrel, whenever the bald one in the middle would laugh, the game would slow to a crawl and get all choppy 'til the guy next to him bonked him on the head.

• 1 month later...
So far I haven't had any freezing problems, but there was a part in the Melee village when I talked to the three pirates with the rat and the barrel, whenever the bald one in the middle would laugh, the game would slow to a crawl and get all choppy 'til the guy next to him bonked him on the head.

I had this happen and when I quit the game and tried to return to the XMB my PS3 reset its self!

I'm using a 120gb Slim with the EU version of the game.

Edited by Terminator
Added Extra info

I had the same problem among others. This game is a mess. They can't even develop a simple 2d point-and-click adventure without loads of bugs anymore. Ridiculous.

Also, what's up with the huge black border around the screen? That's just stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a workaround for some of the bugs :).

To avoid the Crash on Exit bug All you have to do is WAIT until the hard drive light stops blinking BEFORE you exit to the XMB. If you don't wait, the OS panics, kills the process and resets the machine!

To get around the blank screen on exit to the Scumm Bar the only thing that has worked for me is to NOT save or load whilst in the vicinity of the Prison, Church or Store. Once you're at the Bar you can save to your hearts content.

To avoid the Slowdown whilst the "Men of low Moral Fibre" are talking just press and hold the Triangle button and you'll be able to bypass it.

PS: The Leaderboard freezes have since been fixed by the 1.01 patch but his patch is ONLY avaliable to US users as they were the only ones affected by this particular bug.

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info and rephrased

• 2 weeks later...

I actually am experiencing a glitch at a different part and was curious if anyone has experienced the same.

After going to the store to purchase the shovel and sword, when walking back to the docks (past the pirate with the parrot) and going through the archways the game freezes when loading. Then it loads a black screen with the mist in the air and that's it.

Anyone go through the same thing?

I actually am experiencing a glitch at a different part and was curious if anyone has experienced the same.

After going to the store to purchase the shovel and sword, when walking back to the docks (past the pirate with the parrot) and going through the archways the game freezes when loading. Then it loads a black screen with the mist in the air and that's it.

Anyone go through the same thing?

I answered that question in the post above yours in the Middle paragraph.

• 2 weeks later...

The game never froze on me, but two times it did do some weird shit. When I was at the shop and I returned to the docks, the game only showed the fog and a dark background and the sound of the water. But when I reloaded for the third time it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the above posts instructs basically not to safe in the Melee island village. Once you have had the bug (I have experienced some freezes as well), is it better to just delete the safe file and start anew (so basically is the file corrupted till the end of the game once you had the bug)?

It's a shame though that such a great game is plagued by huge bugs like that. Disappointing.

Edited by geertvdp

I've had MI glitch on me 4-5 times and have never gotton a corrupted save file. As long as you have a save from BEFORE you go through the archway on the Scumm Bar side and/or one from the prison side of the clock tower you'll be just fine as this glitch usually only happens once or twice per playthrough.

In my experience the Foggy screen glitch only happens when you save in the area with the "Shifty Man" and "Men of low moral fibre".

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo