The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

The Secret of Monkey Island - Trophy Guide and Road Map

Another guide has been chosen as the preferred one for this game so this has been closed, is not maintained and as a result it may contain outdated or incorrect information. Please follow the link below to the preferred guide.

*Direct link to the stickied guide*

eJ1nOcV.jpg

Guide for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

I am a lifelong Monkey Island gamer and played these games way too much back in the days of 486 gaming with midi sound. I downloaded it the moment it was released and now I am going to work on pulling together a guide in an effort to encourage more people to enjoy a game that turned me into a life long gamer.

With the new Special Edition releases you will get to enjoy the benefits of high definition graphics that have been fully reworked as well as the additions of voice overs from the original Monkey Island voice cast.

GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY A CLASSIC GUYS!!!

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 1/ 10 (If following a guide no skill is required)

-Offline: 12

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: 4-8 hours (Speedrun = under 3 hours).

-Minimum number of play-throughs needed: 1

-Number of missable trophies: 8 (all non-story trophies)

-Glitched trophies: Unknown

-Do cheat codes disable trophies?: Unknown

Trophy Breakdown:

1(G) 4(S) 7(B)

Full Walkthrough:

- For a detailed walktrough, use the following link

>>> Monkey Island Walkthrough <<<

Chapter Trophies:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/01.jpg

The Three Trials (S)

Complete Part One: The Three Trials.

[spoiler=code1]Awarded after finishing all three trials. You will also need to get your crew together and get your hands on a boat.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/02.jpg

The Journey (S)

Complete Part Two: The Journey

[spoiler=code2]Awarded once you land on Monkey Island by firing yourself from the cannon on the ship.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/03.jpg

Under Monkey Island (S)

Complete Part Three: Under Monkey Island.

[spoiler=code3]- Awarded after escaping Monkey Island by leaving with your crew or Herman Toothrot depending on your choices on the island.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/04.jpg

Guybrush Kicks Butt (G)

Complete Last Part: Guybrush Kicks Butt.

[spoiler=code4]Awarded after winning the final fight.

To beat Lechuck:

Lechuck will start punching Guybrush into the air and sending him to different areas of the island. You will land inside Stan's Grog machine and a bottle will fall out. The bottle happens to be root-beer, so grab it and use it on Lechuck to beat him.

Additional Trophies:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/10.jpg

Old School (B) (Missable)

Switch to classic mode at least once.

The easiest trophy to unlock!!! Simply press SELECT and your game will switch to the graphics from the original game.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/09.jpg

Determined (B) (Missable)

Don't use any hints to finish the game.

Do not hold down the :square: button at all during the game.

(Update: If you find yourself in need of a hint you can save and then press :square: for the hint. Then reload the save prior to the hint and you will be able to continue on with the trophy unaffected. MAKE SURE YOU RELOAD YOUR PREVIOUS SAVE!) - Terminator

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/11.jpg

Ten Minutes Later... (B) (Missable)

Have Guybrush drown.

After stealing the idol from the mansion you will be thrown off the dock and into the water. Instead of immediately leaving the water... wait. Guybrush can hold his breath for 10 minutes to the second! :)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/05.jpg

Sharp Tongue (S) (Missable)

Learn all of the insults from the pirates.

Learn the insults from the pirates walking around the overhead island map screen. Wait on the path until they walk over Guybrush. (This only requires the 16 insults not the comebacks, but you will need the comebacks in order to continue on).

Follow the link below for the insult list...

>>> Sword Fighting Insult List <<<

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/06.jpg

Recordkeeper (B) (Missable)

Collect all of the notes and memos on Monkey Island™.

You need to find all of the following:

- River Fork: pick up rock and note next to the bridge.

- Cross the bridge and click "footholds". (Note on ground by art).

- Continue to the top of the cliff. (There will be a new note by the "art").

- Left Beach: Laying on the sand next to the water.

- Skinny Beach leading to small island: Message in a bottle.

- Pond: Laying on the ground next to a book.

- North Beach: After rowing to the other side of the island.

- In the Cannibal prison hut.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/12.jpg

Escape Artist (B) (Missable)

Escape from the Monkey Island™ Cannibals' hut 5 times.

After picking up the fruit from the bowl in the village you attempt to exit and get caught. Pick up the skull and move the wooden floor plank. Exit, and then repeat 4 more times.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/07.jpg

Marooned Everyone (B) (Missable)

Use one save slot to play both endings.

To get this one:

- Save to your single manual save file prior to sinking the ship.

- Push the large rock from the cliff and sink your ship. (Aim the "art" toward the camera first).

- Finish your game without saving (The Hermann Toothrot Ending) (autosave will keep track of your progress from here out no manual saving)

- Reload the original save file. (The file that you manually saved prior to sinking the ship).

- DO NOT sink the ship the second time but instead tell Toothrot to "Leave me alone" during your conversation with him and he will stop coming around. If you accidentally miss it you will have a few times to tell him to leave, but I would recommend doing it the first time it is available.

-Finish the game again. (The Pirate Crew Ending)

You are creating a checkpoint save before using the art on Monkey Island so that you can reload that point to get the second escape sequence for a slightly different ending. Make sure you only have 1 single manual save in order for this to work.

>>>IMPORTANT<<< I would recommend not saving over your checkpoint file until you get the Marooned Trophy just in case you have an issue. You can always go back to the checkpoint file to replay the last levels if you run into an issue. The autosave will keep track of your progress for you if a break is needed before finishing the game while going for either of the endings.

(Edit: Text was changed to add some more clarity)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/439/08.jpg

Human Cannonball (B) (Missable)

Finish the entire game in under 3 hours.

Hold :triangle: to skip long sections of dialogue or cut-scenes and follow the walkthrough linked below step by step:

>>> Monkey Island Walkthrough <<<

Edited by Terminator
Added a link to the stickied Guide.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a lifelong Monkey Island gamer and played these games way too much back in the days of 486 gaming with midi sound. I downloaded it the moment it was released and now I am going to work on pulling togeter a guide in an effort to encourage more people to enjoy a game that turne dme into a life long gamer.

Did anyone else other than me scream like a little girl when they saw this released on PSN 2 days ago? What a surprise :p

I haven't had a chance to play it yet all I hope is that since they have redone it the original tact and wordplay humor is intact. I loved the way you learned new comebacks by using it on other people and hearing their retort until you had enough wits to actually win a swordfight.

Did anyone else other than me scream like a little girl when they saw this released on PSN 2 days ago? What a surprise :p

I haven't had a chance to play it yet all I hope is that since they have redone it the original tact and wordplay humor is intact. I loved the way you learned new comebacks by using it on other people and hearing their retort until you had enough wits to actually win a swordfight.

The fact that the original voice cast is back is my favorite part!!! I loved Dominic Armato (sp?) as Guybrush and having him back was very important to me!

Monkey Island 2 looks amazing with the higher detail to the art as well! Cannot wait for that one! :dance:

I didn't even know The Secret of Monkey Island HAD an original voice cast. Then again, I also didn't know there were two endings until I saw the trophy list. Back when I played it a long time ago on the PC, there was no voice track, just the catchy music. I would be playing it right now, but my PS3 died last week(it was 3 years old, so I got a lot of fun out of it. Just wish I'd been able to recover my game saves) and I have to wait for Sony to send me a replacement. Not sure exactly how long it'll take but, according to UPS's tracking system, the coffin with my late PS3 in it should be delivered to Sony's Texas facility sometime today.

However, I do know that once my new PS3 gets here and I have it uncrated, hooked up, settings set, PSN account loaded, and trophies synched, the first thing I'll do with it is download Moknkey Island and start anew my quest to become a mighty pirate

I didn't even know The Secret of Monkey Island HAD an original voice cast. Then again, I also didn't know there were two endings until I saw the trophy list. Back when I played it a long time ago on the PC, there was no voice track, just the catchy music. I would be playing it right now, but my PS3 died last week(it was 3 years old, so I got a lot of fun out of it. Just wish I'd been able to recover my game saves) and I have to wait for Sony to send me a replacement. Not sure exactly how long it'll take but, according to UPS's tracking system, the coffin with my late PS3 in it should be delivered to Sony's Texas facility sometime today.

However, I do know that once my new PS3 gets here and I have it uncrated, hooked up, settings set, PSN account loaded, and trophies synched, the first thing I'll do with it is download Monkey Island and start anew my quest to become a mighty pirate

Secret never had a voice cast, I was refering to the voice actors that were added later as the series was expanded. Since adding voice they have kept the same actors, but it sounded like "tales" used new voice actors.

I have not played the Tales games yet becuase I was waiting for them to finish the series and hope they are released on PSN rather than getting them on the Wii. :)

If you liked the original you will love the new version! All they did was add the voice and improved graphics. Guybrush has weird hair though and the animations are not very fluid. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about!!!

Edited by Lostsaint18

heheheh bought it this morning, brings back all the good memories! and sheesh, memories didn't take long to come back, I'm done with the game already :p

bring on LeChuck's Revenge! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/LostSaint/Guide/lock.jpg

Marooned Everyone Bronze Trophy (B)

Use one save slot to play both endings.

-Save Prior to completing the game and you can reload your save to get both endings on 1 file.

hmmm this one isn't quite right...

[spoiler=maroon]judging by the trophy name, I think you need to save before you sink your ship... because if you don't, your crew'll take you back to Melee Island, but if you do, your crew'll be staying on Monkey Island

Edited by Terminator
Please don't double post - use the Edit Post feature.

Might want to label "Recordkeeper" "Escape Artist" and "Ten Minutes Later..." as missable trophies. once you go past the chance to get those, you'll need to reload an earlier file, or restart from beginning.

and apart from Marooned Everyone, you can get every other trophy with just 1 playthrough, even including the 10min wasted (save as soon as he's in the water, leave for 10min for trophy, then reload to continue).

my own playthrough took 2hr20min, and got everything except Marooned Everyone, which took another 20min from savefile.

Might want to label "Recordkeeper" "Escape Artist" and "Ten Minutes Later..." as missable trophies. once you go past the chance to get those, you'll need to reload an earlier file, or restart from beginning.

and apart from Marooned Everyone, you can get every other trophy with just 1 playthrough, even including the 10min wasted (save as soon as he's in the water, leave for 10min for trophy, then reload to continue).

my own playthrough took 2hr20min, and got everything except Marooned Everyone, which took another 20min from savefile.

I had mentioned that all 8 non-story trophies could be missed in the overview, but I will add a note to the individual trophies.

Just found the trophy tiles on the sister site and they contain the same images so I linked them into my guide.

Now I just have to figure out the proper method to submit for guide sticky. :)

Added more info to the "Marooned Everyone" trophy.

Added spoiler tags to the story trophies and added more details to their descriptions.

Edited by Terminator
Please don't multi-post - use the Edit Post feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just discovered that you can use the Hints system AND still get the Determined Trophy :)!

All you have to is save BEFORE you use the Hint button and then reload your save afterwards. Technically this means the trophy is no longer "Missable".

EDIT: I've discovered an error in the Trophy Guide, the Error is with the "Marooned Everybody" Trophy i.e in the line:

You can save multiple files after passing the decision point on monkey Island. As long as you get both endings from the original save file you started you will get the trophy.
The above is wrong. I know this as I've spent the last week following the above advice to the letter and the trophy didn't unlock. To get the "Marooned Everybody" Trophy you CANNOT make any additional saves at any point. The only saves you're allowed are the Auto-save and 1 manual save. Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

Tell me about it! It took me a week and a lot of looking around the net to realise this fact :mad:!

ok, but i have an idea: my first manual save was on the ship, so i havent saved AFTER the decision point. I completed the game last night, can i still load up that decision point file (2nd save) and still get the trophy perhaps?

look what this states: ps3trophies.com

"Okay, this trophy is a pain in the arse. First, play the game up to the point where you first get to Monkey Island and reach the abstract art (up the footholds at the River Fork). NOW SAVE. The key to this trophy is to now complete the entire game without saving again."

i DID not save AFTER this point (and completed the game.)

should i risk it?

Edited by lade73
typo

I am fairly certain I typed it out exactly how I earned the trophy on a single playthrough. I was able to obtain the trophy without multiple playthroughs.

I am having trouble figuring out what is throwing people off so I will reread it a few times to see if something sticks out to me that would cause an error.

The method I used was to create a new save in a new slot when I got to the point where I had to pick to sink the ship or not. Then I finished the game for 1 ending. I reloaded my new save and played through the last portion of the game again. I told herman toothrot to go away and then finished the game again.

- 1 ending comes from telling hermann toothrot to go away and stop bothering you. (escaping with your crew)

-The other comes from sinking your ship. (escaping with Hermann Toothrot)

Did those of you having a problem tell Hermann Toothrot to leave you alone when going for the crew ending?

My only guess is that I had played the majority of the game on the auto save so that when I made my checkpoint save I only had 1 manual save file. I did not have 2 different saves if that is what you guys ran into. I will reword that portion and hopefully that fixes the issue for people.

Edited by Lostsaint18