The Price is Right: Decades

Can Plinko be Beaten?

Can Plinko be beaten?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Can Plinko be beaten?

• Yes
    • No

Plinko is possibly the biggest luck based game in Price is Right history; in real life and the game. The mission is to drop Plinko chips down a maze-like board and hope that it lands dead center in the $5,000 (1983 version) or $10,000 slot (1998 version). It's fairly easy to get at least one chip in the middle slot, but near impossible to do it 3 times and get the trophy. Don't even think that you can get the full $50,000 (not even anyone on the show has done it). I want to know if there is a strategy to get the trophy in this game because the closest that I've gotten to it was with 2 chips in the center and that's it. Please tell me: Can Plinko be beaten?

Edited by PSCrusader

Like anything probability-based, it follows the Law of Large Numbers. Clearly, at least a few people here have completed, and there is presumedly no way to cheat. Probability can give you estimates of the expected number of plays until it happens, but unforunately the fact that the programming code for the game is unknown here, even these estimates are uncertain.

In the real life show, if you examined all Plinko players who earned all five chips, theoretically they should win the full amount approximately one time in four-hundred (assuming they drop them all right in the middle). Since less than four-hundred have ever attained all five chips in Plinko, it really isn't surprising that nobody has ever won the full shebang.

The problem in the PS3 game sn't that the event is rare (winning 3 of 5 would theoretically happen one time in seventy-five), but rather the wait time between attempts. One only gets a shot at Plinko approximately every 15-20 minutes (assumng they know how to target Plinko efficiently). Good luck to you, but know that many, many people have given up.

• 3 months later...
Plinko is possibly the biggest luck based game in Price is Right history; in real life and the game. The mission is to drop Plinko chips down a maze-like board and hope that it lands dead center in the $5,000 (1983 version) or $10,000 slot (1998 version). It's fairly easy to get at least one chip in the middle slot, but near impossible to do it 3 times and get the trophy. Don't even think that you can get the full $50,000 (not even anyone on the show has done it). I want to know if there is a strategy to get the trophy in this game because the closest that I've gotten to it was with 2 chips in the center and that's it. Please tell me: Can Plinko be beaten?

Certainly not meant to be offensive, but your trophy list suggest perserverance isnt your best quality ;)

It can be beaten.

I got the 'Lucky Chips' one using two controllers..........problem was, controller 2 got it! I couldn't believe it. No trophy, since it's not the host controller. For controller 2, i placed the chips right in the middle. For the 'host' controller, i had dropped them to the left of the middle of the Plinko board.

Once again, i can't believe that happened!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This past week, in May '14, I got Lucky Chips again with controller 2!!!

This is maddening.

I tried a strategy that I prayed would work, but no dice. I saw that controller 2 had 2 with 2 chips to go. I tried switching controller numbers(2 to 1, 1 to 2). Chip 3 lands in the 5,000 spot, but the trick didn't work. Dammit.

BTW, I let the A.I. drop all chips, to test another theory, since one of my PSN friends got both Plinkos that way.

I even tried while the real show was on! Shee-it. Pull out all tactics, this is a motherfucker!

• 4 months later...

Just got it, 9/3/2014!!!!!!!!

I am shocked, crying a little (grown man, I'll admit it) feeling grateful and relieved.

I want to first thank @Olaf 764 and another person that joined our room. I didn't know I'd get this, so I didn't get their name.

I really didn't want to play, but Olaf asked me, so when I got home from work we tried. I thought a 3rd player would hurt our chances, but it may have HELPED, so player, if you see this, thank you for helping.

This may be my greatest trophy ever. Ever.

• 1 year later...

Cut to May, 2016.

Just got Lucky Chips and the Platinum.

It can be beaten, but not mastered. It will beat your ass to the ground and not even blink-o.

The story for me is I was devastated and heartbroken over the fact that a girl I loved deeply from Pakistan became a girl I wasn't going to get.

I was so destroyed that I tried to get three TOUGH trophies from MLB 10, 16, and the last I needed to Plat this

I looked at getting at least 1 for consolation.

Well, I got one to Plat this. Let me tell you. It helps. It helps to handle disappointment in a strange way.

Yeah, only a game. Only a trophy that for those who don't understand would call you a fool.

But they don't understand and can never.

Ok. I got too deep, but as a person who grew up watching this in the Bob Barker days, wow.

Maybe not my greatest Plat ever, but is up there. It relieved a lot of real world pain.

So, in the end the ones who came up with these trophies didn't know the frustration they caused, but to 'conquer' 1 or 2 of them when they were needed the most....thank you!

Ok. I got too deep, but as a person who grew up watching this in the Bob Barker days, wow.

Maybe not my greatest Plat ever, but is up there. It relieved a lot of real world pain.

Hey, this game may not be physically difficult, but it certainly is a rare and emotionally taxing one. Let's put it this way - only three people have achieved platinum in the last year, and you're one of them. Only 40 people have ever achieved platinum, and you're one of them. Be proud of it.

Hey, this game may not be physically difficult, but it certainly is a rare and emotionally taxing one. Let's put it this way - only three people have achieved platinum in the last year, and you're one of them. Only 40 people have ever achieved platinum, and you're one of them. Be proud of it.

Thanks, binder. I clearly remember you being one of the first!

Thanks to Slamma and Velvet, since i don't know how to multi-quote yet!

Edited by Iceyice

• 6 months later...