PLEASE READ FIRST -- if starting a new game or restarting

I am posting this as synthesis / summary of numerous other posts I have made on the WITN forum.

This post is intended for anybody starting a new game in WITN, or re-starting after they get "stuck" in a level and can't progress because the game does not recognize you have completed the objectives. I just finished up the plat in this and in doing the MP trophy, I talked a couple individuals from this site who had a game break because of this bug, so I figured it would be useful to post it here.

This advice is most relevant to single player, but I believe the information could apply to individuals playing MP or alternating.

A patch is supposedly being worked on / inbound for this and other issues, but there is no release date or word if the patch is completed and with Sony. This method can hopefully tide people over until ...

THE BUG

WITN drops sidequests and progress in main quests when you load save data the first time after launching WITN. In other words, for some unknown reason, the first time you load your save data after launching the game, it loads improperly and side quests (like Truesilver, Imbuing Gems, Otto's Arsenal, The Chronicler) disappear. Or worse yet, it might delete progress in a main quest (like Mirkwood, as in my case, it set me back a "step," showing I had to defeat Wulfrun when he was defeated).

WHAT HAPPENS (and when it happens)

If you have "dropped" a quest and you proceed and autosave (either by buying / repairing items or progressing in the level), your data is irrevocably corrupted. Once this has happened, sometimes, you can reinitiate a quest (like Imbuing Gems); other times you can't (Truesilver). If you drop main quest progress, you get "stuck" and can't progress. This happened to me at Mirkwood, and at Cairn Dum, the main quest ("Cairn Dum") disappeared completely.

As I understand it, if you have dropped a main quest or main quest progress, your save is screwed -- unless you find somebody in MP who is working on the same level you are "stuck" on. But I have not played MP in this game, as this is a whole separate can of bugs.

WHAT TO DO

1) Upon launching WITN and loading your save data, IMMEDIATELY look at your quest log and ascertain everything is "there."

2) If it isn't, immediately quit to WITN menu, and reload your save data. The "dropped" quests should appear. I have done this through three playthroughs -- Normal to Legendary.

*** To be on the safe side, every time you launch WITN and load your save data, quit to the WITN menu and reload. That is what I do, just in case. Since my game broke at Mirkwood, I have done this, every time, and it has not failed me. Like I said earlier, this method carried me through Legendary.

*** If you progress even one autosave past loading your save data with "dropped" quests, this fix WILL NOT work. It is imperative you monitor your quest log upon loading save data to ensure you do not progress with quests dropped.

I hope this is helpful.

For more information, read this post:

possible workaround to disappearing quests bug (PS3))

Edited by dreadnaught_
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Im glad I saw this since I am literally on the character select screen starting my first playthrough as I type this haha. Thanks for this, it will save massive headaches for me.

I do wanna mention though that I just downloaded a Patch 1.02

Is this the patch to fix this? Or is it something else?

Either way, thanks for sharing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to you for this info, I experienced this yesterday when I started the game and then took a lunch break, reloaded and found a couple of the quests missing. I instantly exited and reloaded and it was all back to normal! Great save and I'll be doing the double load from here onward so as to not take any chances!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip. I just finished my first playthrough and followed this advice and didn't hit any game ending bugs or lose any quests. The one time I forgot to do it, I lost a side quest. I'd say this is good advice to get through this glitchy game with minimal frustration. And back up your saves to be safe too.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip, my co-op partner and myself followed the double load method to the letter and made it through all three walkthroughs without any gamebreaking problems (except for another glitch in the nordinbad defense which could be solved by deleting the patch...). I observed quest dropping several times though and I'm really sure that this is the reason for all the gamebreakers.

Thanks again for this great advice!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just stumbled upon this - and thanks for the warning.

I'm going to do this, then, to avoid any headaches with a save-game gone haywire.

EDIT: Looks as if exactly one quest is lost when first starting up the game (at least that's what I have noticed so far), which indicates that the loop that reads them in runs one iteration short.

However, a reload fixes this problem for some unknown reason.

Edited by Thianis

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on my first playthrough and I am stuck at Mirkwood. Fortunately, I really like this game so I don't mind starting a new game and losing all my progress...But I want to make sure when I start a new game that I do everything right...

So, if I do the method in the first post, will I not be stuck in Mirkwood (I defeated the Queen Spider but cannot talk to Beledram afterwards)...Or did I miss picking up the staff or something? Please let me know cause I want to start a new game ASAP :)

• 1 month later...

this happened to me last night in the "Urgost Lair" part of my heroic playthrough. when a particular part reloaded after i had died at one of the enemy camps, upon reloading there were no enemies. as i advanced i noticed there were no longer any barrels or boxes to smash at the side of the level. then it froze, so after restarting and reloading i still had the same problem. got to the Carn Dum Captain but he didn't spawn, checked my mission objectives and it didn't exist ie. had been dropped and i had already advanced past several checkpoints.

i figured all was lost, but all i did to get everything back was to just quit to main menu, choose load game, and reloaded my save. when i started playing enemies respawned appropriately as did the boxes and loot caches. SO BEFORE YOU go restarting a playthrough or deleting your save just try that. i was sure that i was f****d but all was well after a MANUAL RELOAD. hope this helps someone

Damn i just watched gameplay vids & was excited to buy this & start another good looking rpg... don't think i'll be buying it now after reading this... i'd really love to know why development teams can't get their damn games right before releasing them...:think:

[edit] i bought it & loved it!!!!

Edited by Crazy-TrainZ28

crazy-train, you should try the game actually. apart from the glitch here and there it's actually not that bad. i've actually kind of enjoyed it, even the additional playthroughs because you end up being so overpowered you can steamroll through most enemies except for a few choke points. overall its a pretty fun game.

I decided to go ahead and buy the game... THANK YOU for posting this thread... The glitch hit me while in Murkwood on my legendary playthrough... i noticed that i couldn't attack anymore so i quit to the main menu and reloaded my last save... once i got into the game i check my mission log and sure enough my main mission was gone ":eek:" i just reloaded my save again and everything went smooth after that (except the damn protect the gate mission lol)

I think this thread should definitely be stickied... i know it saved me from breaking something lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have to say thanks for pointing this glitch and its solution out: thanks to you I was able to get the Platinum with no issues, though I certainly would have been caught out by this glitch as numerous times the game "dropped" cult of the lidless eye and other quests when I loaded it up the upon launching the title.

• 3 weeks later...