WTF Credits...

AWPertunity49

Really? We're complaining about CREDITS now?

It was written as a joke. I do think in games and movies the credits are out of control, esspecially when you cannot skip them or it is necessary to watch them to catch something after them that would be missed if you skipped (we all know games are like that).

And if the only thing I have to complain about is the credits, then that proves that this was/is a great game.

These credits in these games are getting out of control. Who actually reads them and goes "Oh, John Walsh was the 2nd assistant gaffer..I knew it! Good guy, he made the game great!"

Who the hell cares?

My Gawd John Walsh! You'd do anything to see your name in print. Even create an account to complain about your name in credits. Geez.

My Gawd John Walsh! You'd do anything to see your name in print. Even create an account to complain about your name in credits. Geez.

I wish I was as big of a man as Walsh. He was my Second Class in the Navy, and not all of us made it home. First name to come to my head. Not looking for anything, just thought I would explain it. Didn't think I would have to defend myself or my opinions from people well distinguished on this site. Good to know.

not the first time around here, Seriously people will complain about anything

Seems like you like complaining on people who complain. You took the time to leave a post, must make you feel like a man.

Edited by Xander45
please use the edit/multi quote function instead of double posting

Seems like you like complaining on people who complain. You took the time to leave a post, must make you feel like a man.

You took the time to create something that isn't really needed tbh, since you can skip them. :|

Insult all you like, you are the one who decided to create a pointless thread and then couldn't handle any criticism about it :whistle:

This.

TC, have you ever read a blog or even an article about the effort and dedication that goes into making a video game? Especially one as popular and acclaimed as TLOU.

People work 16+ hours a day for months or even years to get the game done to strict deadlines and to fine tune it as much as possible. There's many stories of them basically living in the office as they're so pushed for time they can't go home and spend any time with their families, or if they do go home it's just to shower and grab a few hours sleep.

These guys don't ask for much, but to see their name in a list of hundreds is the least recognition they deserve for their efforts. It's something they can always look at as a testament to their work, or show their families for years to come. When it inevitably appeasrs in many "best game ever" lists in 15-20 years, he can point to his grandchild and say "look, there's my name in the credits list for that game!" Surely you wouldn't deny them that if they'd worked their arses off to deliver what, as you say yourself, is a great game?

You can always skip them as others have said. It takes half a second to push the :start: button. How many half seconds did each person in the credits put into making the game?

I've gotten paranoid about the credits because of the possibility of getting achivements/trophies related to them, lol. I can't remember the game but you could get an achievement for watching the entire credits.

Mostly now I'll watch for a little bit to make sure no cutscene happens during or some gameplay is available. If not, I will just mess around on my phone as the credits and music play.

Krid makes some good points, but I get where TC's coming from too. I usually sit through the credits once to see if there's a bonus scene or just to make sure a trophy pops when it should and some credits just have ridiculous things in them. I get adding every name of every person who helped in any possible way but I don't think the substitute delivery guy from the sandwich shop down the street needs to be there. And then there's pets. It's amazing how many games list the workers' pets in the credits. Did your dog Checkers contribute much to the game? No.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter though since most games, including this one, allow you to skip them.

I wish I was as big of a man as Walsh. He was my Second Class in the Navy, and not all of us made it home. First name to come to my head. Not looking for anything, just thought I would explain it. Didn't think I would have to defend myself or my opinions from people well distinguished on this site. Good to know..

Sorry...didn't mean to offend...just making a lame joke. I guess I should've put a wink or words in italics to make it known that I was kidding. My bad...

Re: Credits. Credits don't bother me too much. I always go through the credits at least once...maybe some of you remember when you had to view all the credits of certain games before the last trophy would pop? I'm usually taking a smoke or bathroom break while they are rolling anyway. Now if you have to do multiple playthroughs...yeah...that gets old...nice to skip them then.

And yeah Keyser...have noticed the pets mentioned...lol...but like Krid said...these people are spending a large amount of time from their loved ones...so I understand all the recognition/dedication. To me...they can put anything they want in there...it's their creation. I can just choose whether to view it or not.

Krid makes some good points, but I get where TC's coming from too. I usually sit through the credits once to see if there's a bonus scene or just to make sure a trophy pops when it should and some credits just have ridiculous things in them. I get adding every name of every person who helped in any possible way but I don't think the substitute delivery guy from the sandwich shop down the street needs to be there. And then there's pets. It's amazing how many games list the workers' pets in the credits. Did your dog Checkers contribute much to the game? No.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter though since most games, including this one, allow you to skip them.

Yea, pets is weird, but I think the kids part in some games is cool. Like Infamous, First Light has a 'kids of First Light' which are dev's kids who were born during the making of the game.

Kriddling pointed out pretty much what I have to say on the topic. I don't care if games had unskippable credits, they dedicate a lot of time into having their name on that list, the least I can do for them is take a piss and get another bourbon while I wait...

You know you can always skip them right?

No you can't. I love Telltale, but I'll be damned if I haven't sat through shitloads of their credits trying every button possible to skip them because I couldn't care less about the list of animals that did absolutely fucking nothing to make the game I just played. But none of them work. The credits are unskippable. And thus you can not always skip them.

And even if you can skip them, it's never a good idea to because some devs are super assholes and decide to put in a story related cutscene in the middle or end of the credits, and if you skip the credits, you also end up skipping the cutscene. You also can't just get up and walk away during the credits because of that. Always have to sit through them once in case they put something important in there.

And yes, TC is right, credits are out of control these days. I don't give a fuck about pets. I don't give a fuck about kids who were born. I don't give a fuck about translators and voice actors for language options that weren't even included in my version of the game (if you can take the time to remove the alternate language options, you can also take the time to remove those sections from the credits). I do not give a fuck about forum moderators. And I don't give a fuck about anyone else who did not directly contribute to the creation of the version of the video game I just finished. If you did not make the game, you do not deserve a spot in the credits, simple as. Devs need to stop going so out of control, keep the credits to just people who made the game, and make sure they scroll by at a reasonable pace so we don't waste 15 minutes of our lives at the end of every game because maybe they put an extra cutscene in there that we'd miss otherwise. Oh, and make the credits fill the screen too unless you're going to do something with the extra space. If you have credits on one half of the screen and nothing on the other half, you're an asshole. As far as movies go, that I don't care about because I have control over fast forward and rewind, so put in as much shit as you want because I do have the option to not watch it. But games? They've got us by the 'nads and they know it, so most of them abuse it.

The only time I'm okay with people who didn't make the game being in the credits is when it's not actually part of the credits proper, but something that displays at the same time as the credits. One of the Gears of War games did the credits but the bottom eighth of the screen was used to let Epic employees give special thanks to friends and family. So at the same time as the credits were going, they were also thanking their kids and spouses and pets. They didn't make it an extra 1-2 minutes of scrolling that everyone has to sit through, they split it up so the credits would be over quicker. That's how you do it if you want to include that stuff. Don't disrespect my time by making me sit through your utterly stupid list of pets when all you're going to do with that list is go home, play the game, and bring your dog or cat in front of the TV and go "LOOK THAT'S YOU" when their name comes up even though they're just animals and have absolutely no idea what's going on. It means nothing to them and it means nothing to me; stop making me sit through it. Either dedicate a small section of the screen to it so the credits don't drag on forever or don't include it at all. I get that these people made a game and they're proud of it, but that doesn't make them gods, it doesn't make them immune to criticism, it doesn't mean their shit doesn't stink, and it doesn't mean we have to happily put up with whatever bullshit they pull. Applaud the ones who do right and criticize the ones who do wrong, just like any other aspect of a game.

You can always skip them as others have said. It takes half a second to push the :start: button. How many half seconds did each person in the credits put into making the game?
How many half seconds did the pets put into making the game? How many half seconds did the forum moderators put into making the game? How many half seconds did babies put into making the game?

Less half seconds than it takes for me to watch their useless names scroll by my screen. And again, I can't skip it as I might miss a story related cutscene the developers hid in there. Or some developers are super assholes and don't even let you skip (very lovely when a game requires multiple playthroughs).

If I can't skip it, I switch to tv, go get a drink, stretch, txt, check org

If there was a cut scene I may have missed ... there's a thing called YouTube

If a trophy was supposed to pop during the credits and if it didn't/glitched, aint no fucking thing I can do but sit through the credits anyway and redo the chapter or something

Why there is such a thing called credits ... UNIONS

@mjc (not gonna quote, since I'm on my phone, and I don't wanna snip)

First of all, note that this is in the Last of Us forum, so I'm assuming that people were talking about TLOU in particular about being able to skip the credits.

Second, your old man is showing :p

Ever since I joined the site I've been calling him gramps lol