The Last Of Us: Remastered - Unlimited Shiv trick (PS4)

Master_Of_Chaos

No sir it was not. Wasn't ever patched on PS3, and it seems that ND didn't actually fix any of the exploits on the PS4 version.

I'm unable to view the video right now (youtube is blocked at work), but isn't this the trick where you drop an upgraded weapon to pick up a non-upgraded one, and it gives you the materials to make a shiv?

If so, I tried it on my easy playthrough, and I couldn't get it to work, and read somewhere that the unlimited shiv trick had been patched.

I'm unable to view the video right now (youtube is blocked at work), but isn't this the trick where you drop an upgraded weapon to pick up a non-upgraded one, and it gives you the materials to make a shiv?

If so, I tried it on my easy playthrough, and I couldn't get it to work, and read somewhere that the unlimited shiv trick had been patched.

Yeah that's the one. Has to be an upgraded weapon with full number of uses left on it, dropping for any other weapon. It will only fill both your first blade and binding slot, so if you already have more than that full it won't give you anything.

I can confirm it works as it just did it last week while playing through on grounded. :p

I intend to give Grounded+ a go soon, so I shouldn't have trouble deleting any update that fixed this then? Running through on easy now to build up my inventory for the reverse playthrough. Don't wanna accidentally botch anything up

There is no update that fixed this. Play the game with all updates installed.

Huh, I swear I saw that both the MP shiv trick (which I had never heard about) and the SP shiv trick were patched. Oh well, I finished my Grounded+ playthrough anyways (w00t for unlocking 9 trophies at once!)

There was a patch that fixed something in Factions that people on the ND forums called the "Shiv Dance". I don't remember the specifics but it was something I had never seen or even heard of until the patch was released.

The SP shiv glitch has never and, in all probability, will never be patched out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I tried it yesterday, and it does'nt seem to work anymore.

I guess some patch fixed it...

It will make my grounded playthrough more harder...

I tried without any patch installed, but I can't get it to work.

Maybe you need to empty the inventory slots for what is needed to craft shivs, like in the video.

May I know whether this trick is still available? Any patches?

It still works, I did it on my friend's game the other day. To those having trouble you aren't doing the glitch correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd prefer unlimited molotovs or arrows but shivs are a close second. :-)

And how doable is it exactly on survivor? I just hit Pittsburgh and have since found I think three melee weapons. XD

Shivs are much better since the shiv doors usually have a bunch of items

Haven't played this on Survivor, but finished Grounded then Grounded+

Grounded is still doable without a guide. But if you get stuck, youtube has some great tips on the harder sections