The easiest way to beat Survivor+ *Confirmed*

DeGarmo2

7/31/14 EDIT: Currently testing/confirming this works for PS4, but there's no reason to think it wouldn't. I should have the confirmation by this weekend.

8/4/14 EDIT: I can't change the title of the thread, but you should be doing this on Grounded+ instead of Survivor+

---------------

First, my apologies if this has already been reported or noted. I checked the forums and didn't see anyone mention this.

Ok, so some people seem to be having a bit of a trouble with their Grounded+ run. The main problem with Grounded+ is that supplies and ammo are VERY scarce. Well, I've found a way to at least solve that problem a little.

1) Beat the game on any difficulty.

2) Play and beat the game on Easy+ (This 2nd playthrough is to build up your weapons and Joel upgrades - which, if you're trying to get the platinum trophy, you'll have to do anyways. Also, I used this playthrough to get all the collectibles/jokes/conversations/etc). Now, it's important that you try your best to make sure you build up ammo and supplies during this Easy+ playthrough. Try to finish each chapter as close to FULL on ammos and supplies as you can.

3) After beating the game the 2nd time (and hopefully were full on ammo and supplies at the end of each chapter), do not start a new game+ again. When at the main menu, choose Chapters. Start from Chapter 11 (Hospital) and choose Grounded difficulty. After beating Chapter 11, quit to menu and chapter select Chapter 10 and choose Grounded again. Do this in reverse all the way back to Chapter 1. Once you have beat Chapters 1-11 all on Grounded, pick Chapter 12 on Grounded. Beat Chapter 12 and let the cutscene and credits run out. (You may be able to skip both, I'm not positive. I let them both play out without skipping them). Once you are brought to the main menu, all difficulty trophies that you do not yet have will pop. (I can confirm this as it just happened to me).

3a) If you're really having trouble, even with the reverse method, you can actually go in reverse order of the Subsections within each chapter.

Now, you may ask 2 question? Why build up ammo and supplies on Easy+ and why Chapter select in reverse? It's simple. You want to build up ammo and supplies so that when you start each chapter on Survivor, you'll be well-stocked on Ammo and supplies. For example, say you select Chapter 7. The ammo/supplies that you start out with will be whatever you had when you finished Chapter 6. Assuming you played on Easy+, you finished Chapter 6 with lots of ammo/supplies. So, even when you choose Chapter 7 on Survivor, you get all those supplies/ammo that you finished Chapter 6 with on Easy+. It shouldn't be hard building up ammo/supplies when playing on Easy+, as I was pretty much FULL of everything the entire playthrough.

Now, why select them in reverse? Once you beat a chapter on any difficulty, it saves your ammo/supplies and that's what you get when you start the next chapter. If you went in order, your ammo/supplies would just carry over each chapter and you wouldn't have very many. For example, if you pick Chapter 4 on Survivor, once you beat the chapter, it'll save your ammo/supplies and overwrite your ammo/supplies from the Easy+ run, and then once you pick Chapter 5, instead of starting full of ammo/supplies, you'll begin with much less because of your Chapter 4 run on Survivor. If you go in reverse, you'll start each chapter with the amount of supplies you have when playing the same chapter on your Easy+ run.

Lastly, if you are unsure if you've beaten certain chapters or sections within the chapters on Survivor, simply go to Chapter Select and highlight each Chapter (or section within) and it'll tell you the highest difficulty you have beat that section on.

I hope this helps you guys. It isn't perfect and you won't get more supplies, but starting each level with full ammo and supplies should make the Survivor run much easier.

Edited by DeGarmo2
Update & fixing errors in Chapter numbers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow wish I did this , I just started my survivor+ playthrough today and am 55% done.

Its not bad with the glitch so I have Joel maxed out & the infinite shiv glitch is truly your best friend. I get to open every shiv door and cause of that I have a good amount of supplies/ammo.

On top of that I get to carry a modded melee weapon a lot of the time. Can't wait for the machetes to start showing up & modding them for 6 1 hit kills at a time.

The only times I died was when I didn't use ammo in the few situations where you pretty much have to.

It's been posted like for a week and is in the trophy guide

Are you sure? I've been glued to that trophy guide for the past week and I've never seen any mention of the method I describe. If so, what part of the guide is it in?

EDIT: I double-checked and this method is definitely NOT in the trophy guide. You lied to me. How dare you? :-(

Edited by DeGarmo2

Based on your descriptions, and what I know about how the game works, this should mean that on your Survivor+ backwards run, you won't just start each chapter with lots of ammo and supplies, you can also use as much of it as you want, even finishing each chapter with absolutely nothing left, and you'll still start the next (technically, previous) chapter fully equipped, shouldn't it?

Based on your descriptions, and what I know about how the game works, this should mean that on your Survivor+ backwards run, you won't just start each chapter with lots of ammo and supplies, you can also use as much of it as you want, even finishing each chapter with absolutely nothing left, and you'll still start the next (technically, previous) chapter fully equipped, shouldn't it?

Yes, exactly correct. You don't need to worry about saving ammo/supplies going into the next chapter. Feel free to use all of the ammo you have.

I don't know why I didn't think of writing that.

Edited by DeGarmo2

Chapter Selecting in reverse to clear Survivor is a clever idea :)

If you do this, ie Easy -> Easy+ -> Reverse Survivor, do you get the Survivor+ trophy?

If not I'll still prefer the Easy->Survivor+ run, saves me loads of time.

Once you beat all chapters on Survivor, and then finish the game on Survivor, ALL difficulty-based trophies pop. You could do Easy, then Survivor+, but you'd likely still have to run a 3rd playthrough anyways, because I don't see how you could upgrade all the weapons with only 1 non-Survivor playthrough.

I would suggest Easy, Easy+, then using Chapter Select on the Easy+ game, doing Reverse Survivor. It makes the Survivor playthrough much easier, and you should be able to finish all upgrades on the 2 Easy runs. Always save the upgrades for the first pistol last.

Actually I'm done with SP, but I did Hard -> Survivor+ -> Easy+ to finish off the max weapon upgrades. Was done with upgrades by chapter 6 because I didn't read the trophy guide so had to wait till I got the shorty again.

I mentioned in one of the trophy guides it's not possible to upgrade all weapons with only 2 runs, but others disagreed. 2 chaps said they were able to upgrade max weapons with a Survivor -> Survivor+ run.

Are you sure? I've been glued to that trophy guide for the past week and I've never seen any mention of the method I describe. If so, what part of the guide is it in?

EDIT: I double-checked and this method is definitely NOT in the trophy guide. You lied to me. How dare you? :-(

My bad. I didnt read your whole post and thought it was the survival + glitch you were talking about. I had at times difficulties playing survival with less supers but it wasn't that bad if you watch some video walkthroughs showing you the fastest and easiest was to avoid enemies

Great way, but why do you need to reverse? Survivor is like nothing if you ever tried RE5's Professional without infinite ammo. The difficulty jump from easy is not reccomended by me as you may be unprepared.

Edited by OmniZero

Survivor ain't that hard, if u know the game mechanics well & when u play stealthy as much as possible. I'm collecting everything now during my survivor + run, at least I'll try.

I think most people dont have problems with stealthy parts of Survivor but with those that cannot be done stealthy. :)

Great way, but why do you need to reverse? Survivor is like nothing if you ever tried RE5's Professional without infinite ammo. The difficulty jump from easy is not reccomended by me as you may be unprepared.
You need to do it in reverse (from what I understand) to keep your ammo/items from the prior chapters

If you did it from chapter 1 onwards, it'll over-write your items/ammo with what you've got going forward on your survivor run (i.e. start chapter 2 with chapter 1 ending items and so on).

Doing it backwards means:

- Do chapter 12 with chapter 11 easy+ ending items and ammo

- Do chapter 11 with chapter 10 easy+ ending items and ammo

- Do chapter 10 with chapter 9 easy+ ending items and ammo

- And so on

Because you're going "back" your original ammo/items are still available when you start each chapter.

If you went "forward" from chapter 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 you would start the chapters with the closing items/ammo of the prior chapter as it will overwrite them with the new "chapter complete" inventory (which will be WAY less in survivor than in easy)

Going back you get to keep your inventory from easy+ each chapter, going forward your inventory will be over-written by your survivor+ run

Too bad I'm already 70% through my survivor+ playthrough or else I would try this.

U can use it even if you are already in the middle of Survivor. Just go back one single chapter, finish the rest on easy, and then use the trick only on chapters that are not already finished on survivor.

You need to do it in reverse (from what I understand) to keep your ammo/items from the prior chapters

If you did it from chapter 1 onwards, it'll over-write your items/ammo with what you've got going forward on your survivor run (i.e. start chapter 2 with chapter 1 ending items and so on).

Doing it backwards means:

- Do chapter 12 with chapter 11 easy+ ending items and ammo

- Do chapter 11 with chapter 10 easy+ ending items and ammo

- Do chapter 10 with chapter 9 easy+ ending items and ammo

- And so on

Because you're going "back" your original ammo/items are still available when you start each chapter.

If you went "forward" from chapter 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 you would start the chapters with the closing items/ammo of the prior chapter as it will overwrite them with the new "chapter complete" inventory (which will be WAY less in survivor than in easy)

Going back you get to keep your inventory from easy+ each chapter, going forward your inventory will be over-written by your survivor+ run

SO overwriting a save. Just like DS3 :). Anyways, good job explaining as it made little sense.

Exactly what Scythegpd said a couple posts after you.

If you go in order. Say you had full ammo/supplies after chapter 6 on your easy+ run. Normally when you start up chapter 7, you'd start with full ammo/supplies. But if you go in order, when you play Chapter 6 on survivor+, it's unlikely that you'll finish the chapter with full ammo, so when you finish chapter 6 on survivor+, it'll overwrite your easy+ info that says you have full ammo and instead you'll have whatever you finished chapter 6 on survivor+.

Basically, if you go in order, you won't start each chapter full of ammo/supplies, unless you finished the chapters on survivor+ with full ammo.

I can see how this may be good for some people who aren't good at the game etc. Personally I think it takes away from the game. Survivor mode puts you in the most realistic settings of the game. This is to me is cheap way to do it but however u want to play it is your call. It is not supposed to be easy. I couldn't imagine playing the story backwards. It's just too good to do it that way. Just my opinion. Suck it up and be a real survivor.

I can see how this may be good for some people who aren't good at the game etc. Personally I think it takes away from the game. Survivor mode puts you in the most realistic settings of the game. This is to me is cheap way to do it but however u want to play it is your call. It is not supposed to be easy. I couldn't imagine playing the story backwards. It's just too good to do it that way. Just my opinion. Suck it up and be a real survivor.

I don't think anyone would argue that it takes away from the enjoyment, but this does make it a tad easier even though I would recommend playing it as intended.