Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game The Last of Us. This thread has been created to discuss anything The Last of Us related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. Posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread may result in a three day ban.

If you would like to discuss the Left Behind DLC, please post in it's own Story Discussion Thread.

Edited by Reys

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am soo disappointed with the ending. COME ON, just saved the girl and walked away? I was hoping for either Catastrophical ending or something that realy make sense...

First of all, the ending si opened-like because TLOU is a new IP series and you'll eventually see new episodes of the game. It is a cliffhanger of a drama game, not some COD-ish blockbuster hollywood blower, and because of that gamers do atach more to it and will wait more impatiently to it's sequel.

Secondly, I personaly think that the ending is very strong showing how the main characters connected to each other and no matter what (not even a chance to find a cure for this viral pandemic) is worth of leaving one another or risking a life. It also shows that Joel starts to look at Ellie as her own taking the right to lie to her about the most important thing (to her at least) - derivating a cure from her body.

In short to say - the ending is simply - EPIC. :applause:

The ending was great. It left a few unanswered questions. Like, did he lie about there being others and what happens next?

The entire relationship between Joel and Ellie was amazing. You can see it grow. It started off with them being cold to each other and being partnered was nothing more than just an inconvenience. You slowly start the see the trust form and then a friendship. For Joel, it started off with it being nothing more than a job. Then latter you hear him explain how football is played and then ultimately ended with him saving her life. It was so heartwarming. And the relationship developed slowly that it wasn't like it happened overnight.

And who thought the prologue was the best part of the game? In my opinion, it was the best chapter of any game I've ever played.

I thought the story was rather weak, all the typical zombieflick clichés and too predictable.

The ending, however, I liked, because, let's be honest, it would've been super easy to give us an, again, typical depressing ending and all hope is lost blablabla. It felt refreshing to have a happy ending once in a while and yet it's not so clear because there's still so much doubt about whether it was the right thing to do.

After I heard about the new ND project; last of us for the first time, I did some quick search about it and I was looking for pictures only. I did not read anything about the game or seeing videos so I don't want to ruin the story first and it is the creator of the uncharted series second. When I got my copy, I did not know that I would be playing against zombies and that was my first let down. What made it worst for me is the autosaving glitch; I had to repeat chapters many times (I get bored very fast). But slowly I started to like it as the relationship of Joel and Elli evolves. I kept playing just to know what will happen next. To me this is very rare. I never read a note, book or anything in a game and I skip scenes in most of the games that I play. The soundstrack is that touch that bonds everything together. It is the main cause of the feelings you felt while playing. To me it is the only perfect thing in this game. When Joel saved Elli and took her to a location we don't know where without many details except a lie or we don't know if it's really a lie!! All this will make sense if there is another chapter coming later on. BUT what if not!! What if the coming DLC will focus on the time say after the prologue and before the storyline starts 20 years after!! Would that ending satisfy you? An open ending like that? To me for sure is no as I kept playing the game just to know what will happen to both of them.

The gameplay itself worth not more that 6/10.

Soundtrack is 10/10

Story 8/10 (I meant how everything is developed in the game)

The whole game was epic I think, there wasn't a dull moment. Even if a cure was found it would have made no difference. The world is basically ruined, the infected are already way past being cured and also factions could easily uprise or whatever. The ending was great though, brilliant cliff hanger.

I enjoyed the game, it was pretty amazing.

But I have to nitpick because it wasn't the masterpiece the gaming media has made it out to be.

It's plagued by glitches

Combat is frustrating essentially trial and error

Kept reusing the same puzzles over and over (there's only so many times you can conveniently find ladders, planks and wooden slabs)

Boss fights

Became too predictable to when you knew exactly what sort of encounter you were walking into.

Bloaters, seriously they are awful lol

They emphasize stealth but there are way too many parts of the game where you HAVE to fight and get into a gun battle... typical 'defend room from waves of enemies'

Supporting characters don't stick around long enough to have any sort of an impact on the story.

Tess, Henry and Sam ect... Their deaths had no impact on me because I hardly knew them and with Hery & Sam it was so obvious you could see it coming.

But the positives outway the negatives so much, the story is incredible, the interactions with Joel and Ellie are fantastic. Great development through the game. The graphics are great, environments look insane. Also the length of the game surprised me as well, I was expecting a 8-10 hours like Uncharted. But took me a decent 16 hours to get through with exploring as well. Definite 9/10 when I overlook the few problems, aside from those though this is one of the best games ever made.

Edited by LegendaryMSN

I couldn't believe it when Joel was injured, at that point I wasn't sure if he was going to die... In the real world he would have bled out before he got to the exit lol Made for an intense moment though and loved playing as Ellie, also I shot that Deer in the face twice but it didn't die, then I realised because the game needed me to get to that place, but still.

Also some of the highlights were some of the locations, the university was amazing. Well apart from the spore infested part.

Also loved the giraffes haha I literally was taken back with surprise and was in awe of them. A very beautiful moment.

Edit: Worst part of the story was the crappy boss fight with that creepy dude in the burning building... was so annoying especially how he would spot you from across the building >.>

Edited by LegendaryMSN

The game was very good and deserves it's good praises here and there! But like any other game, it creates questions when it ends.

For example when Joel falls of his horse (big injury at the university) and Ellie tries to wake him up, it doesn't work. Later we take control of Ellie looking for food in the woods. But if we think logical, how could she lift Joel up, put him on the horse and find a suitable location that's save from everything (bandits/infected).

I read many letters from the "Ishi" character in the sewers. Apparently he got away with a woman and hid in a house outside. It can be that I didn't found all the letters since I don't know what happened after that. I do know that all the people (including children) died in the sewers, including the children of the woman that was with him afterwards. So what happened?

At the end when you enter the hospital room where the doctors are beginning the operation on Ellie, they just stand still, only the head surgeon threatens you with a needle. I thought I actually was able to make a choice (they didn't attack) but apparantly you have to kill them to save her. But my questions is, if you would leave her or if you would agree with letting her die to find a cure. How certain can we be they would actually succeed? From hearing all the tapes and watching the cutscenes, it's like they are almost 100% certain it's going to work. Lastly at the very end Joel makes up this story regarding the Fireflies, that they don't need her and there are others who are imuun to the virus. We know it's a lie, but on the other hand, who says Ellie is the only one with the same situation?

Edited by MrSoKoLoV

Just finished the game.

I had to sit down for a minute and really thinking about how i felt about the ending. I actually wrote this long post about why i felt like it was an underwhelming ending and then something just hit me that made me think about things differently and look at it from a new angle.

And that angle is that Joel is a selfish motherfucker who has managed to let the world corrupt him. Clearly Joel isnt your upstanding do-gooder based on the things he's done and the levels he's willing to go to protect ellie and such.

But think about this....For 20 years. 20 long years. Joel amounted to nothing but a measly smuggler and nothing more as the world basically self destructed. Then he meets ellie and he essentially has the weight of the world on his shoulders by having to insure that humanity's last savior (ellie) makes it to where she needs to be to give humanity a chance. This is overshadowed by the fact that Ellie and Joel are developing this bond together....

And in the last scene, Joel says "I've struggled a long time with survivin' No matter what, you keep finding something to keep fighting for"

IMO, Ellie has become the thing that Joel now uses to keep fighting. Stopping the procedure wasn't about saving Ellie's life, it wasn't about the uncertainties of whether it would work, it was about the fact that he found someone he cared about that would give him purpose and meaning, the same exact way he would've had if his daughter were still alive. If he didn't have Ellie what was he gonna do? Go back to live with Tommy and his people who all have families? The closest thing to a companion (Tess) has been long dead for almost a year by time the game ends. He's left with nothing if he doesn't have Ellie.

Joel knew that Ellie wanted to go through with the procedure because as she said "it can't be for nothing" and he went against that for his own selfish intentions. Ellie is very clear about what's at stake and what needs to be done (although i don't think she realizes she would have died but that last scene suggests she still would have done it anyway if it meant no more ppl had to die) He lies to her at the end, not out of some fatherly obligation to try to protect her but he does so in order to mask his own selfish motivations.

TL: DR = He didn't save Ellie for her. He saved Ellie for him

Edited by hbkdx12

Just finished the game.

I had to sit down for a minute and really thinking about how i felt about the ending. I actually wrote this long post about why i felt like it was an underwhelming ending and then something just hit me that made me think about things differently and look at it from a new angle.

And that angle is that Joel is a selfish motherfucker who has managed to let the world corrupt him. Clearly Joel isnt your upstanding do-gooder based on the things he's done and the levels he's willing to go to protect ellie and such.

But think about this....For 20 years. 20 long years. Joel amounted to nothing but a measly smuggler and nothing more as the world basically self destructed. Then he meets ellie and he essentially has the weight of the world on his shoulders by having to insure that humanity's last savior (ellie) makes it to where she needs to be to give humanity a chance. This is overshadowed by the fact that Ellie and Joel are developing this bond together....

And in the last scene, Joel says "I've struggled a long time with survivin' No matter what, you keep finding something to keep fighting for"

IMO, Ellie has become the thing that Joel now uses to keep fighting. Stopping the procedure wasn't about saving Ellie's life, it wasn't about the uncertainties of whether it would work, it was about the fact that he found someone he cared about that would give him purpose and meaning, the same exact way he would've had if his daughter were still alive. If he didn't have Ellie what was he gonna do? Go back to live with Tommy and his people who all have families? The closest thing to a companion (Tess) has been long dead for almost a year by time the game ends. He's left with nothing if he doesn't have Ellie.

Joel knew that Ellie wanted to go through with the procedure because as she said "it can't be for nothing" and he went against that for his own selfish intentions. Ellie is very clear about what's at stake and what needs to be done (although i don't think she realizes she would have died but that last scene suggests she still would have done it anyway if it meant no more ppl had to die) He lies to her at the end, not out of some fatherly obligation to try to protect her but he does so in order to mask his own selfish motivations.

TL: DR = He didn't save Ellie for her. He saved Ellie for him

:applause::applause: Beautiful hbkdx12, just beautiful. I was thinking along the same lines, but you have managed to clear it up completely. This game was absolutely stunning and the story was amazing for something that has been done a lot. Joel seems like he had given up and become part of the system of survival when he lost his daughter, but meeting Ellie and going through hell with her. It makes me sad that he had to lie to her at the end, but we know why he did. To save what he cared about most or to lose it to a wishful thinking that the world would ever return to how it was 20 years ago. Man it brings out some deep thinking and a heavy decision.

In the end, I wish you fought her as a last boss instead of just shooting her when her hands up.

Then from the boss have to different ending, you win. You get what happens in the game,

The other you get a they save the world thing or something. XD

It was kind of a let down, but still good. 9/10.

what a great game... just a couple of thoughts, because it's tough to not ramble and ramble:

-the music was fantastic.. expecially "The Choice"... love me some classical guitar

-the cutscene with Joel and Ellie in the farmhouse (right after she ran off with the horse) was amazing... possibly one of my favourite cutscenes in years... certainly wet my eyes up a bit

-humans are much tougher enemies than the infected

-soooo satisfying to throw a bottle, lure infected and lob in a bomb or moltov

-the pacing in the game was fantastic... great balance between fighting and slowing down to progress the story

-Ellie's jokes were such a nice addition

-"why are the pages all stuck together?".... oh, Bill

-Finally, the ending... i have mixed feelings... on the one hand, it's a great conversation piece; talking about how joel went just a tiny bit cookoo at the end and lied to Ellie (out of his own greed/selfishness/denial?)..... on the other hand, i was disappointed that there was no 'final conclusion'.. in my mind, it was clearly planned in a way to promote dlc or another game in the series; which is fine, since i'll obviously buy it, but i really wanted a truly happy or sad ending - even though, yes, it is cliché...

overall fantastic game, though... masterpiece...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-QFDB-vY4]The Last of Us Soundtrack - 11. The Choice - YouTube[/ame]

Just finished.

Someone said yesterday that this was the end of joel and ellies story so I was expecting them to die maybe but it clearly isnt the end of there story which is great for me as I love them both, think there will definately be another game or another2 games as sony have registered the domain names for the last of us 2 and 3 and everyone seems to have this game so its sold very well,

am I the only one that has noticed this game isn't about the disease, or anything, it's about the bond between a man who has lost everything, and a girl who has nothing, and that somehow find each other while travelling across the world, facing danger, and god only knows what.

this is a story about love, not war, or pain, or hwatever, this is a love story. not a sappy love story about two people that fall in love, this is about a deeper kind of love, the love a parent has for a child, and the love a child has for a parent.

when Joel reaches the end, and finds out they are going to kill his surrogate child, then he'd have to face what was taken from him 20 years ago. nobody could make that call. they spend a year together, getting closer to each other, only to find out that they intend on killing the child....

and when Ellie says at the end that he has to promise what Joel told her was the truth, she doesn't believe it, but she believes that what Joel is telling her, is his version of the truth, and her love lets her believe it. she accepts that this guy cannot let her be killed.

a love story.

Overall I really enjoyed the story. Some of was pretty obvious, like Sam and Henry as others have mentioned. I didn't like how quickly the final scene ended, though. I felt like it was obvious Ellie didn't believe Joel and she knew he rescued her for his own selfish reasons and would have liked to her push him more. I kind of expected her to tell him she was going off on her own.

Someone said yesterday that this was the end of joel and ellies story...

...Naughty Dog has said if they do a sequel that Joel and Ellie wouldn't be in it because their story was told already..

Source(s)?

Overall I really enjoyed the story. Some of was pretty obvious, like Sam and Henry as others have mentioned. I didn't like how quickly the final scene ended, though. I felt like it was obvious Ellie didn't believe Joel and she knew he rescued her for his own selfish reasons and would have liked to her push him more. I kind of expected her to tell him she was going off on her own.

Source(s)?

Have at it. Naughty Dog on The Last of Us: "If we Never do a Sequel, We

The Last Of Us Sequel Possible, But Joel And Ellie Are Done - PS3 News

The Last of Us 'ripe for more stories,' Joel and Ellie's is over | GamesRadar