Last Guardian trademark listed as Abandonded; Live/Dead indicator stating its dead

dividedbyn1ght

UPDATE - Sony Confirms "The Last Guardian is still in development

It seems that sometimes, all you need to confirm the status of a long-forgotten game is to say it’s cancelled, dead, or that somebody forgot to renew the trademark.

Thankfully, in the case of The Last Guardian – a game that today had been the subject of much discussion – all is well. Or at least, it’s still very much in development.

According to a couple of US-based journalists on Twitter just now (including Game Informer’s Jim Reilly) a representative for Sony has confirmed that the game is still alive, but that there’s “nothing new to report at this time.”

Chances are Sony just need to reapply for another extension for the trademark and get the game moving along now.

Hopefully we’ll get an official explanation as to what happened, too, given the huge amount of media attention the game has got this evening we’d have hoped for more than just a few words from SCEA’s public relations department.

Source

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2012/08/thelastguardian.jpeg

Bad news for fans of critical hits ICO and SOTC – Sony has left the The Last Guardian trademark to become “dead” and “abandoned”.

PSLS has discovered that over on United States Patent and Trademark Office, the trademark for The Last Guardian is listed as “(ABANDONED)” with the “Live/Dead Indicator” stating that it’s “DEAD”. Trademarkia states “Abandonment Notice! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.” as well as “Status Update! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.”

What this means exactly is unclear – the game has gone through development turmoil seeing numerous delays and missing out E3 after E3, as well as suffering staff departures and Ueda becoming a freelancer. But Sony Santa Monica was brought in to try to fix a game-breaking problem and finally get it out this gen and Shuhei Yoshida has repeatedly stated that The Last Guardian is not dead. Whether the trademark being allowed to become dead is a sign that Sony have finally given up on the project or perhaps changed the name is unknown. PSLS has reached out to Sony for a comment and will update if they respond.

Of course, this could possibly now mean that Microsoft could buy the game rights to Artemis Fowl and The Last Guardian and completely confuse people.

Source

I really hope this isn't true. I was very much looking forward to the game. Damn it

Edited by dividedbyn1ght

This is becoming a trend. First FFVersus "Abandoned" it's trademark and then the rumors of canceled started.

Now this.

I am not going to count on any of this until someone OFFICIALLY states that the game is not coming out.

You never know, it might have been an accident like Versus, or maybe a name change....

Maybe a name change and PS4 release. Who knows..

• 4 weeks later...

CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

MORTICIAN: What?

CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!

CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not!

MORTICIAN: He isn't.

CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.

MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.

DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!

CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.

MORTICIAN: I can't take him...

DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!

CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...

MORTICIAN: I can't.

CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't

be long.

MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine

today.

CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?

MORTICIAN: Thursday.

DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.

CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there

something you can do?

DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy.

[whop]

CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.

MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

CUSTOMER: Right.