Note: Rank Matches not Boostable

jojo.ag

I thought it was important enough to note this before anyone puts there name down in the boosting thread exclusively for the 10win streak in Ranked match.

Yes, you can find custom matches but when you finally do find someone you can't back out when you connect to someone. Unlike UMVC3 where you can find custom matches in rank and back out if you're connected to the wrong person.

Yeah, but to save your win streak in case before you lose is to quit to XMB, not really much recommended, but better than nothing if people are desperate for that 10 wins in a row trophy.

Have you tried it yet? Does it work?

I'd hate to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're about to get KO'd or about to lose, just hit the PS Button and quit game. You'll still keep your win streak.

Or in the lobby, if you get matched with a high ranked opponent, you can also hit the PS Button and exit the game before the match begins.

I got it that way, although my last 4-5 matches were legit, didn't have to quit to XMB, got matched with newbies, so I guess I lucked out.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone wanted to test this or maybe someone has tried it already, but can you use the PSN Plus cloud feature to save your wins? Instead of quitting matches and causing your opponents to rage message you, can a person reload the save with their streak if they just happen to lose a match? Or are the trophy wins tied directly to the server? I ask because a similar thing can be done with Mortal Kombat's win streak trophy using a USB. The wins in MK were tied to the save file, not the server (even though the server still listed your loses). But since you're not allowed to backup your data in KOF without PSN Plus, I was wondering if this tactic is possible?

I was wondering if anyone wanted to test this or maybe someone has tried it already, but can you use the PSN Plus cloud feature to save your wins? Instead of quitting matches and causing your opponents to rage message you, can a person reload the save with their streak if they just happen to lose a match? Or are the trophy wins tied directly to the server? I ask because a similar thing can be done with Mortal Kombat's win streak trophy using a USB. The wins in MK were tied to the save file, not the server (even though the server still listed your loses). But since you're not allowed to backup your data in KOF without PSN Plus, I was wondering if this tactic is possible?

that is a good point... maybe i'll try this if it turns out to be hard to win those matches in a row. had to do it in sf3 with the 3rd win....

• 2 weeks later...

Since disconnecting in a ranked match won't break your streak, but it will count those disconnects as games played, will it work like that for player matches as well? It would probably be faster to just disconnect at the beginning of a match instead of killing each other over and over again another 100 times.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ranked match is not completely barren, but it is empty enough to attempt to boost ranked matches with a partner, especially during "down" hours. It definitely helps if the two partners have a good connection to one another, as it seems people with better connection gets preference when searching?

Just combine this method with some quitting if mis-matched and you can probably get ranked matches boosted.

It's retarded that sometimes people just cannot find each other in ranked. I tried boosting with a guy from the boosting thread, who also lives in California. We have a 4 connection to each other tested in player matches, but we tried repeatedly in ranked and were absolutely unable to find each other. I have a DVI monitor and a second PS3 (wanted to switch, have been unable to for various reasons), and I'm considering renting a second copy of the game to see if I can boost with myself, but I am afraid that I won't be able to find myself even with 2 ps3s on the same connection...

Annoying.

It's retarded that sometimes people just cannot find each other in ranked. I tried boosting with a guy from the boosting thread, who also lives in California. We have a 4 connection to each other tested in player matches, but we tried repeatedly in ranked and were absolutely unable to find each other. I have a DVI monitor and a second PS3 (wanted to switch, have been unable to for various reasons), and I'm considering renting a second copy of the game to see if I can boost with myself, but I am afraid that I won't be able to find myself even with 2 ps3s on the same connection...

Annoying.

Have you tried deleting your partner from your friends list?

As there are some games that don't match you with friends on your list. Worth a try if not done already.

Due to a lack of traffic on the boosting thread, and a coinciding sale on amazon for 24.99 (I likely will be able to resell it for close to that easily), I have bought another copy of the game. I will attempt to boost it with a second ps3 and alt account, first with it on the friend list, and if that fails, with it off the friend list. I'll get back to you in 2 days when I get that copy.

I bear news but it is not good. I set up 2 ps3s on the same network, and of course, they have a 4 bar connection to each other in player matches. However, they refuse to connect to each other in ranked.

With my default firewall settings, the first ps3 could not even find a room with the other. After I played with DMZ and port forwarding, they at least saw the room, but they would not connect, giving the error 'connection to opponent lost'. It gave the same message regardless of whether or not the other account was on my friend list, so that is irrelevant.

At this point I fully believe that ranked matches in this game are a matter of pure luck in being able to connect to the other person. I did try a couple matches on my own and just got owned (not knowing how to short hop effectively is a big killer), so that method is out. This may be more of a plat killer than the trials! (which heavily applies to me since I finished the trials...)

Actually, after some extra testing, I retract my previous statement, but there's a lot of clarification that needs to be made.

If you don't want to read the clarification/testing methods, the summary is: When you search for same/any region, it's actually first checking the region of your PSN account, and I don't think it actually checks location. After you pass that hurdle, it's solely based on your connection to each other. Therefore, ranked IS boostable, but you must a) have good connection (or 2 or higher, and be patient in searching/quitting), b) know to search for Any instead of Same.

Here's how I tested. My alternate account is a Japanese PSN account that I made ages ago. With default firewall settings, I was searching in Same/lv4, and not finding the room. I created a new US PSN account on the second ps3, and at the same time also changed all the DMZ settings, so I didn't tie the 2 together. With the new DMZ settings, I was able to find the other account both on Same/lv4 AND Any/lv4, but it would not connect. When I went to player match, it gave the same Lost Connection error. I reset all my firewall settings back to what they were before, and player match worked out fine.

And guess what? I found myself in ranked just fine. I suspect that if I went back to the JPN account and searched for Any/lv4, I would have found it immediately. Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to do so, and am now too lazy to test that.

Therefore, ranked IS boostable, but you must a) have good connection (or 2 or higher, and be patient in searching/quitting), b) know to search for Any instead of Same.

Actually, a good connection is not needed. My boosting partner is on the other side of the earth and we lagged like hell. However, we found each other every single time with only a couple of interruptions. We used Same Region (he has US acc and game), Any, Any with him using training mode and I using custom match