Honest to god, how does this game run?

The price of the Legendary Edition finally dropped to 20€ and I'm seriously considering picking this game up. I tried getting into RPGs with the Mass Effect Trilogy but it simply didn't work, way too much dialogue.

Here is my question, having followed the discussion around Skyrim and its technical shortcomings on the PS3 has me worried for quite some time now, some say when your save file reaches a certain size the game becomes a slideshow. So, how exactly does the Legendary Edition run on a PS3 Super Silm that has around 220 GB left?

Thank you in advance fus roh dah.

The price of the Legendary Edition finally dropped to 20€ and I'm seriously considering picking this game up. I tried getting into RPGs with the Mass Effect Trilogy but it simply didn't work, way too much dialogue.

Here is my question, having followed the discussion around Skyrim and its technical shortcomings on the PS3 has me worried for quite some time now, some say when your save file reaches a certain size the game becomes a slideshow. So, how exactly does the Legendary Edition run on a PS3 Super Silm that has around 220 GB left?

Thank you in advance fus roh dah.

Frankly? I didn't have many issues with the Legendary edition. Sure, the game would slow down after a few hours of continuous gameplay, but saving your game, closing and restarting it would solve that. At least it did for me, I heard not everyone has had the same experiences.

Oh, and talk about dialogue in an RPG. Let's just say that dialogue is part of what makes an RPG an RPG.

Frankly? I didn't have many issues with the Legendary edition. Sure, the game would slow down after a few hours of continuous gameplay, but saving your game, closing and restarting it would solve that. At least it did for me, I heard not everyone has had the same experiences.

Oh, and talk about dialogue in an RPG. Let's just say that dialogue is part of what makes an RPG an RPG.

This^

The only times it has crashed have been after I've been playing it for 5 or 6hrs straight and haven't cleared the cache in a while. There are some quest/trophy glitches but most can be avoided or fixed by saving frequently and reloading if anything goes wrong :).

Most of the lag problems were fixed years ago with the 1.05 patch, the latest is 1.09 and the game runs pretty well for the most part :). Also, if you couldn't get into Mass Effect then I doubt you'll get into Skyrim either because that is essentially more of the same only in a medieval fantasy First Person setting.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

Thank you for all the replies. I got this game, played it for an hour or two and it did nothing for me. Guess I simply am not the RPG type.

RPG is more like an inborn desire to live a life far beyond of what we call real life. It is for the dreamer and the brain, the artists and the patient. It is a world of hope, pain, of freedom and misery. It is what we want and abhor. :think:

Ah, know what, screw poetry, RPGs are totally awesome! But it ain't for everybody. :applause:

I encountered quite a few infinite loading screens requiring a restart, but otherwise it was pretty decent until I passed the 200+ hour mark. Then it would start to chug after an hour or so, which a reboot would fix.

Originally Posted by RDRHELPmePlease View Post

Thank you for all the replies. I got this game, played it for an hour or two and it did nothing for me. Guess I simply am not the RPG type.

I get what seem like Infinite loading screens but if I wait them out it turns out to be a 5 minute loading screen. Very boring ofcourse but I must have spent 10 hours of my life in normal skyrim loading screens by now.

Two hours is not long enough to judge if you like an RPG! It took me over 15 hours until I got the skyrim fever :D

Turn off all the autosaves and it works like a charm :)

Yaaa you'll probably have to give it at least 6-8 hours for it to flesh out.... I was feeling the same way as you at first and I quit the game for a while but then I went back to it a few years later and delved into it a lot more and was blown away!! I finally saw all the hype :)

Edited by ICPosse8

Turn off all the autosaves and it works like a charm :)

I kept hearing that, and it sounds great in theory, but in practice it didn't quite work.

For some reason, with autosaves off, it seemed to lock up more, or I would have gone a good spell without saving and die, loosing waaaaay more time than if I had just kept the auto saves on.

I kept hearing that, and it sounds great in theory, but in practice it didn't quite work.

For some reason, with autosaves off, it seemed to lock up more, or I would have gone a good spell without saving and die, loosing waaaaay more time than if I had just kept the auto saves on.

Strange, it works great for me - especially when used in conjunction with the Cache Clear Code :think:.

Strange, it works great for me - especially when used in conjunction with the Cache Clear Code :think:.

Weird, I even used autosave the whole time and clearing the cache every 5-6 hours made my 500+ hours of Skyrim a pleasure cruise. Strange that the game would behave that aleatoric. That was originally my thought when I switched from computer games to console games: one configuration for all devices... Seems that's not always the case as we so often read here.

Weird, I even used autosave the whole time and clearing the cache every 5-6 hours made my 500+ hours of Skyrim a pleasure cruise. Strange that the game would behave that aleatoric. That was originally my thought when I switched from computer games to console games: one configuration for all devices... Seems that's not always the case as we so often read here.

What's clearing the cache? I think I heard about it for XBOX, but I'm unaware of anything of the sort on PS3. :confused:

What's clearing the cache? I think I heard about it for XBOX, but I'm unaware of anything of the sort on PS3. :confused:

It's this: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/190525-possible-fix-lag.html which is a variation on the one used for Fallout 3 and New Vegas :). The Fallout version can be found in the stickied Advice thread for FO3: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/fallout-3-a/138294-fallout-3-advice-thread.html

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info.