New approach: a vampire stealther

Well, after having spent thousands of hours on Morrowind and Oblivion (PC) and Skyrim (PS3) while always going for a close-combat oriented and a few magicka based characters, I have, for the first time, created a character with the only purpose of being a vampire stealther (took a Dunmer/dark elf to offset the fire weakness). First I worked on basic stealth/thief skills and took the Vampire Lord questline in Dawnguard. With the right equipment/skills, I can practically sneak around while remaining unseen, sometimes even right under someone's nose. I've mainly been using archery, as I've never really used it as my main combat skill before. Thinking of crafting a nice dagger and going for the Assassin skill (15x damage while sneak attacking) as secondary attack. And of course having Necromage kinda turns you into a badass beast as a Vampire counts as undead.

While this may be nothing new to some of you, it totally changed my gaming behaviour and put a serious halt to my trophy gathering. Having spent more than 50 hours into the character already without having earned a single trophy. And that pause in trophy gathering feels good.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this one with you. If you got similar experiences, even involving other games, please do share!

There's one big problem using a skilled archer: if you take out enemies from a distance, you better make sure it really is an enemy and not a passing/wandering NPC or even a guard! Happened to me already a few times.

But you're right, Finlandguy, Skyrim as home of the Nords is a place for melee fighters, at least from an RPG point of view. And fighting a dragon in close combat is more impressive than shooting arrows from afar... I just hit 400 hours of Skyrim gameplay across 3 characters, but I don't think I'll stop anytime soon.

• 6 months later...
I would never have thought about that kind of build, but then again i am barely getting the route down to farm coin right now and build supplies to beast up my character, i went with the lizard guy who is mainly a fighter

I also never thought such a character would be fun, I was always like "Sun damage, whee, that'll hurt". But that was the case in older Elder Scrolls games (such as Morrowind or Oblivion), where you'd lose a considerable amount of health when moving in daylight (even in cloudy weather). While fun to just move around during night, it makes the whole thing a bit more complicated.

Skyrim saw a removal of health loss as a vampire in sunlight, so that opened the door for me.

Argonians (the lizard folk) make great thieves and sneakers, but combining with vampirism, there would be better matches. Argonians have a 50% resistance to disease, as a vampire you automatically get 100% disease resistance, so that would be a slight waste in skills.

Edited by Theophobos
typos