Discerning The Transmundane glitch

dratpons

Ran into a problem during the quest where when returning the Runed Lexicon to Septimus Signus the Wretched Abyss will not talk/interact and ends up blocking the exit from the cave. The quest is totally stopped out at this point.

After doing the usual(reloads/reboots,etc) did some research and there was some speculation that it might have something to do with the Dragonborn DLC. Some people had the problem even if they didn't own the DLC.

I have the Legendary Edition and installed all 3 DLC at the start, but after doing some reading decided it would be better to wait until later. Had only played about an hour at the time... Now I'm at level 27 so it's quite a ways down the road.

Anyway, I re-installed the Dragonborn DLC and the quest appears to be working properly now. The Wretched Abyss talks and interacts and will unblock the exit from the cave. It's also interesting that when the DLC isn't installed the Wretched Abyss appears as a blue swirling thing and when installed shows up as a black & green tentacled thing with eyes moving around.

Don't know if the glitch was caused by installing/uninstalling the DLC, a patch that requires the DLC, or just some other plain old-fashioned bug, but at least it appears to be working properly now. Hopefully, the quest will complete normally, but won't know until I get the blood samples collected.

Just a heads-up...

• 3 weeks later...