Why does Bethesda and BioWare hate the playstation?

Kral

How did Skyrim work for you on the PS3?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How did Skyrim work for you on the PS3?

• It worked great. Very few glitches or crashes.
    • It was decent. A few crashes and glitches here and there, but hey it's a huge game.
    • It was mediocre. More glitchy than PC, but playable
    • It was bad. Hardly playable.
    • Absolutely terrible!

Okay so I have played the bioware and bethesda games on both systems and the PC. Obviously the PC does the best, but that's beside the point. I like Sony much more than microsoft (And I could say being a former X-bot) but really now. Why is it that Bethesda and Bioware to a lesser extent can't make a game on the playstation without freezing dozens of times and glitching out?

I played some games on my PS3 for hundreds of hours and they didn't crash even once. I pop in Fallout 3 and it crashed in the first hour and every hour following it. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand only crashed once, but I get to the collector ship and the save files become corrupted after I die from playing on insanity.

And Skyrim I only played for a little bit, but knowing their history I don't even want to purchase the DLC for the PS3. I know it's not Sony's fault, but Bethesda refuses to fix their games.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?:mad:

Is there anything reassuring about the PS3 version of Skyrim?

Edit: Vote for the top option if you had no glitches or crashes. Ignore the "very few" and just assume it was none since I can't edit it.

Edited by Kral

Bethesda's MO seems to have always been shipping out huge games with huge problems and relying on their gamerbase to fix said problems.

Skyrim becomes more heavy for your ps3 to operate the further you get into the game and the more your savefiles increase in size. This is also when you'll start to see immense drops in frame rate per sec and see more freezes.

All I can say in behalf of Bethesda is that at least they have solved some of the annoying/game breaking glitches that plagued the game in the very beginning, but there are still plenty left.

See that's the reason I'm skeptical. I like playing games for awhile. I'm usually slow going on most games (it took me 190 hours to plat the FFX remake). I'm afraid if I purchased all of the skyrim DLC and tried playing it like I did on my PC, I'd probably end up having issues.

Also I played Skyrim for 400 hours on my PC with absolutely no mods aside from one that made the interface better.

On the plus side at least Minecraft seems to be working well on the PS3. It's probably the only game that comes close to being as long as skyrim for me.

Idk. Maybe I'll just play it to get the trophies really fast. The ps3 still has tons of games that aren't made by bethesda and bioware that are worth playing thankfully.

I bought the Legendary edition and there weren't that many glitches, apart from Lydia gettign stuck to her chair maybe.

The only bad glitch that really hit me was went I went to that Island in Dragonborn. Moving around outside of the towns/dungeons became jumpy and slowed to a crawl. I did everything I needed for the trophies and left again pronto.

I went with "It was decent. A few crashes and glitches here and there, but hey it's a huge game". Compared to FO3 and NV, Skyrim runs like a dream, though it has crashed 5 times in 50 something hours and badly glitched at least 3 times but fortunately I managed to work around the problems :). If FO4 runs anything like Skyrim then I'll call that a win.

You mentioned Minecraft but for me that was way buggier than anything Bethesda has put out, thanks to the online problems and the fact I lost 50+hrs to save file corruption :mad:. I've heard that Minecraft plays better now thanks to the latest patch but losing my saves in that way has left a permanent sour taste in my mouth.

I've had very few issues with ME2+3 but having never played them on any other platforms, I can't fully comment.

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info.

Well that's good to hear, Terminator. I guess the only thing I should worry about Skyrim is that it might crash which happens on other platforms pretty frequently.

And thank you to all who voted on the poll.

I went with the "decent" option. Though I've only just started the game up a few days ago, gotten to level 80 today, and plan to start work on the DLCs this weekend, I haven't run into or remember running into many issues when I was going for the plat years ago. Like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Skyrim is a big game and has a lot of freedom in terms of quest order and completion so I expect some weird issues. Skyrim probably runs the best of the three (FO3 runs fine for me with an occasional freeze, NV would drop frames real bad after about an hour or so playing).

To possibly answer your question, both Bioware and Bethesda are based in the US and the PS3 is a Japanese-designed system. There are differences when it comes to programming for the PS3 that you don't encounter with the 360 and computers. That said most developers likely make the game for 360 or PC first, then port it to the PS3. That's my theory anyway.

I got Legendary Edition again. My old PS3 broke last year so traded my games in. Anyway, I played for 4 hours last night (I always do the Golden Claw 1st) and I saved often but it slipped my mind when I got to Whiterun. Inside a sound bug started (It sounded like poor headphones, thinking mine was broken) do the dragon fight go back to Whiterun, fight the Companion girl in the pub and a bug happens where I can't move. I load my save at Riverwood, do a few things and it froze my PS3.

I don't remember the vanilla game being that bad till I finished the main story. Ah well, only lost an hour if the save isn't corrupt

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a huge game, that's bullshit. Skyrim is big when compared to the typical, casual crap most of the self-proclaimed "gamers" are used to, but it's really not what people make it out to be. And it's not about being on PC either; on PC, you can tweak and mod to fix stuff. It's a perk, but it doesn't make the game more or less functional. Skyrim is all-out horrible, that's all there is to it. Read this article and it explains in detail most of the major faults and problems with the game:

Skyrim is disappointing : why do reviewers ignore its problems ? - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Giant Bomb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too went with "It was decent. A few crashes and glitches here and there, but hey it's a huge game" & agree with 'Terminator'. Seems like we had a similar experience.

As for 'Fallout 4' I am hopeful for a better game from the get go & hope that most of the game breaking troubles were down to the PS3's architecture that made it notoriously difficult to port some titles.

Fingers crossed :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got the legendary edition and yes it did crash now and again but like everyone has said, nothing like FO3 and NV. When I was going for the Plat for FO3, it would crash so often or the frame rate would drop so low I would have to save and restart. Still enjoyed the game though and currently going through NV.

I voted for the second option. Yeah the game could get buggy at times and I did experience a lot of framerate issues, but it's because this was a big game, and there's bound to be some hurdles. The game played fine for the most part, and I only experienced troubles when playing the game for more than like 3 - 4 hours at a time, same with the Fallout games. Either way, I was able to complete the game and I had a really good time going through and experiencing what the game has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...