So Who Reads Books?

Im intrigued to know if anyone actually read every single book they came across. I personally tend to read them when my minds 'active' & to take a break from general exploration.

I return here from the whimsical festivities of a royal themed whore party! From the fictional literate sense oc (& in my wildest fantasies :o)

So who's a masochist? :)

Edited by SubZero89

I couldn't possibly read every single book, despite the compulsion in me. In AC3 I read every single article on American Indepedence (Yes I know, too much time on my hands :rolleyes:).

Skyrims books are practically extracts from well written novels (with never ending pages :whistle:). They certainly add context to the gameplay but organic narrative is clearly more engaging.

Nevertheless a book here or there doesn't go a miss & expands the lore of a time gone by that did exist (albeit exaggerated; Dragons replace Dinosaurs, Prostitution was a popular living ;)) as well as educates our vulnerable modernised little minds :).

Edited by SubZero89

I always read the journals, but far from all the books. Sometimes when the subject interests me (mostly when it has to do with a quest) or if it's short I might read it. But when I flip through and see it doesn't end anytime seen I'll just skip it, which is the case with most books. I have a little library in 1 of my homes though, so maybe I'll read some someday. It's mostly because I want to play the game and not stop up to 15 minutes every 5 minutes to read a book.

yea I find the journals interesting. A 1ce proud dignified man reduced to bone, cut short in his prime. Quite disturbing actually :(.

Gameplay always exceeds story, story is just there to drive the narrative. I never get wet with excitement at a story like a die-hard Lord of the rings advocate :o. The beauty of videogames is gameplay itself.

Don't think I read one single book during my gameplay. Does it even add anything to the story?

Only the high value books they increase skill levels, but that is just via the auto read menu button, not actual reading of the text.

The other books do add back story items and references to prior games. And also add to over knowledge.

Only the high value books they increase skill levels, but that is just via the auto read menu button, not actual reading of the text.

The other books do add back story items and references to prior games. And also add to over knowledge.

But you don't actually need to read anything from it. Just press the read button and the skill evolves.

Don't think I read one single book during my gameplay. Does it even add anything to the story?

Typically books that added relevance usually came after the game, some exceptions were with Morrowind and all the information containing Red mountain but it only served as more back story. I found examples like with the Oblivion crisis books of relevance were finally shown in Skyrim long after the game. In Skyrim, the best I can think of is anything with Dragonborn and the Dragons that just add to back story. Mostly, its just filler to the main game but there are some interesting tales even with certain books that come all the way back since Daggerfall or Morrowind. The Horror of Castle Xyr comes to mind.

I think the first time I properly read one was today, but it was in relation to a quest which I was desperately stuck on and didn't want to use walkthroughs.

I'll find myself sometimes reading them, flicking through the pages etc. I'm more inclined to read notes or letters, even though merely picking them up will do the trick, it's nice to get some insight into the story of it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aye that's one of the reasons why it took more than 200 hours for me to platinum this beauty of a game. I'm a fool for Tamrielic lore, especially historical contexts, but also diaries or stories about places outside of Tamriel and all and everything related to Dwemer. Oh how I would love for an Elder Scrolls game to be about the Dwemer. You would take the role of a Dwemer to spread the culture across all of Tamriel. Maybe we would even get a glimpse at how they disappeared...!

Elder Scrolls Zero: A Dwemer's Tale! Yep I'd be ready...

Too bad the Romans didn't have a numeral for Zero, that's putting a halt in my Elder Scroll counting...

Edited by Theophobos
more stuff

• 3 weeks later...