Ill Met by Moonlight - Acquiring Ring of Hircine & Savior's Hide Daedric Artifacts

RSheb

There has been alot of chatter on message boards about players missing Daedric Artifacts, so the trophy "Oblivion Walker" had me a little concerned. In the Trophy Guide there was a reference, although a little vague, about acquiring both The Savior's Hide and Ring of Hircine on the same Daedra quest.

I investigated and finally worked out the kinks and was able to accomplish acquiring both The Savior's Hide and Ring of Hircine, and be assured, the Ring of Hircine does count towards"Oblivion Walker". I still have a storyline Daedra quest to complete, but already have the "Oblivian Walker" trophy or achievement for you XBox360 players looking for a needed solution on PS3Trophies.org.

Here's how:

Go to Falkreath, go to the cementery, and view a funeral of a six-year old girl to torn, literally, to pieces by a monster. Talk to some of the people paying omage and you'll find that the so-called "monster" was captured and is in the Falkreath jail which is on the southeast edge of town. I did not go to the funeral, but went directly to the jail. Same outcome, regardless. Save before going into the jail.

After entering the jail, go down to the basement and instead of talking to the jailer or the bard(why the heck is a bard in the prison chamber?) go left to a chamber with retractable spears for bars and look in. This is no normal jail cell but a cistern type cylindrical room with steps coming up to the bars and about a 1-1/2' of water. A sole frail looking character with no shirt by the name of Sinding will walk towards the bars up the steps to talk with you(If he doesn't probably reload your save, I had one time he just stood in the water at the back of the room and didn't do anything).

You then start a dialogue where you find out he is endowed with the werewolf transformation capability and he stole Hircine's Ring, but Hircine found out and Cursed the Ring. The Ring endows the wearing with the ability to transform into a Werewolf any time and not just once a day, but as many times as you wish. But Hircine's curse on the Ring make the transformation randomn and instills the animal instinct into the wearer(The young girl Sinding killed was easy prey and his animal instincts overwhelmed his judgement).

Anyway, the jist of the discourse is you need to tell him you will help him by returning the Ring to Hircine. He will also mention a beast roaming the hills, a large white stag that he was hunting when the accident occured, this is the persona of Hircine. He tells you to hunt down this beast to summon Hircine. He accepts your office of help and gives you the Ring. Stand at the cell, do not turn away, Sinding will walk to the center of the room and transform to a werewolf and crawl up the wall out of site and escape.

Turn and leave the prison, follow the marker until you run into the white stag and kill him as quickly as you can. He may run, but track him and put him down once you have the opportunity.

An apparition of the white stag will appear and activate a series of conversations with you. Most of this doesn't directly affect the outcome, but provides background and your next location. I even asked him to remove the curse of the ring(you can't unequip it right now). He will tell you that the werewolf form of Sinding is in the Bloated Man's Grotto. Your map will update and a marker will show the entrance. I had already been there, so I fast traveled to the entrance.

Once at the entrance to Bloated Man's Grotto, immediately SAVE! This is critical because decisions you make after this point will affect whether you can get both artifacts.

After saving, you did save, didn't you?, enter the cave, a marker next to a fire will show you where to stand. A critically wounded Khajit hunter will engage in a short dialogue, then die. Walk straight ahead from the entrance and you'll find an opening. Continue down the path and look up at the rock shard outlined in the red sky. Standing on top of this will be Sinding as a werewolf, calming saying, "Didn't think I'd see you again". Go through the dialogue and agree to let him live and help him kill the hunters.

Once you do this, travel up the zig-zag stairs and ledges until you run through an archway with strings of bones hanging(Do not harm Sinding).

The next set of steps will go down and you'll run into the first hunter. Kill him and proceed down the path killing all of the hunters as you come across them. There are about 7-9 hunter in the entire group, kill all of them. You'll also know the last hunter alive because there's a marker above his head. Once the last hunter is dead, talk to Sinding-werewolf, he will thank you for his freedom(short dialogue) and the banner will appear "COMPLETED: ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT"

Once the banner starts to fade, immediately kill Sinding<do not wait a second, otherwise he may run away and then you might as well re-load and start over from the Grotto entrance>. Once you successfully kill him, access his inventory, and a dialogue will ask if you if you want to skin the hide from the beast, answer yes.

<CRITICAL>An apparition of Hircine(a man) will appear and start a dialogue, immediately back out of this dialogue attempt and move as quickly as possible to put as much distance as you can between this apparition and you. Go back to the entrance of the cave and exit.

If you did everything correctly in the Grotto, the apparition of the white stag(Hircine) will be standing in front of you once come out of the cave. Initiate a dialogue and he'll talk about being amused at your twisted deception in dealing with Sinding. He allows you to keep the Ring, but when you look in your inventory, you'll find the Curse has been removed. The apparition will disappear.

Re-enter the cave and travel back to the location where you killed Sinding and the man apparition of Hircine appeared. Again, if everything worked correctly, the apparition will still be standing over Sinding's body. Engage in a dialogue and he eventually removes Sinding's hide from you inventory and transforms it into the Savior's Hide.

At this point check your Apparel inventory and you should have both the Ring of Hircine and the Savior's Hide. If not, re-load the save at the front of the Grotto and try again.

Each of these items satisfies one of the Daedra artifacts required for the "Oblivion Walker".

So if you missed a Daedra artifact or sold one or just dropped it when you were encumbered, this quest will make up that miss.

Hope it helps........

Edited by RSheb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

onestonedjuggalo is correct...thanks!

The purpose of the detailed post is to ensure acquisitionn of both artifacts. Otherwise, if you do this quest normally without these steps, you will end up with only one or the other artifact.

BTW, sorry for the typos, it was late and I just missed a few....

Edited by RSheb

• 2 weeks later...

great post :) pity I didn't see that before attempting the quest. I killed the hunters, went outside the cave, got Ring of Hercine, then went right back in and killed Sinding. I obtained the hide, and Hercine's apparition spawned, congratulating me again.

I now have both Ring of Hercine and Savior's Hide in my inventory. but "Daedric quests completed" counter only went up by 1.

Oblivion Walker trophy's based on the number of daedric artifacts, not quests, right? :)

Do you have to hold all artifacts at once? Or can you just drop 'em or sell 'em?

I don't know... after each daedric quest I return home and stash away the artifact asap. just in case.

the OP said this though, so it makes me wonder if you gotta have it all at once?

So if you missed a Daedra artifact or sold one or just dropped it when you were encumbered, this quest will make up that miss.

hopefully someone around here with trophy can clarify this for us :)

Once you successfully kill him, access his inventory, and a dialogue will ask if you if you want to skin the hide from the beast, answer yes.

Don't even bother accessing his inventory, just head to the exit. When you leave, Hircine will be there to lift the curse. Go back in and then access the inventory, to Hircine again. That way you don't have to cancel out of any conversations or anything (I had weirdness happen when cancelling out of other conversations).

I must say that it is a brilliant strategy. I got both and got the 15 daedric items trophy before doing all of those quests.

lmao, a kiwi hi-5. thats the funniest thing I have seen in a while. I totally have to see one in action then spread it across canada

it's a secret handshake, except it's a high-5 ;) it's so secret that you canucks won't even realise what we just did :p and don't even consider imitating it, ya gotta drop your axe first... would a real canuck be willing to drop their axe?! :p

it's a secret handshake, except it's a high-5 ;) it's so secret that you canucks won't even realise what we just did :p and don't even consider imitating it, ya gotta drop your axe first... would a real canuck be willing to drop their axe?! :p

We traded in our axes for weed decades ago and the joint goes in the mouth, so it could work :p If you happen to know that super hot kiwi chick I hooked up with in Tofino once, let me know, I never knew her name...

Ha, its weird being on your home territory being told you have a cool accent from someone else. Its like, what accent? You have the accent foo'

We traded in our axes for weed decades ago and the joint goes in the mouth, so it could work :p If you happen to know that super hot kiwi chick I hooked up with in Tofino once, let me know, I never knew her name...

Ha, its weird being on your home territory being told you have a cool accent from someone else. Its like, what accent? You have the accent foo'

NZ's well known for greens too, but I gotta admit, you canucks REALLY know how to grow em eh! ;)

LOL I know plenty of us who's been to Tofino... it's like asking if you know Tom from Canada :p

and no, it's not weird to be commented on your accent while being on your home turf. I've had many drunken conversations with my canuck friends... over the fine difference/indifference between BEER and BEAR and BARE ;) and I always make fun of them EH... while we're OOT and ABOOT :p

Edited by CatNZ

NZ's well known for greens too, but I gotta admit, you canucks REALLY know how to grow em eh! ;)

LOL I know plenty of us who's been to Tofino... it's like asking if you know Tom from Canada :p

and no, it's not weird to be commented on your accent while being on your home turf. I've had many drunken conversations with my canuck friends... over the fine difference/indifference between BEER and BEAR and BARE ;) and I always make fun of them EH... while we're OOT and ABOOT :p

Ha, never know unless you ask. All I had to be was on the beach, Canadian and not into disco to get with her. So not much info was exchanged between me and the chick other then fluids... I won't lie, I say 'eh' all the time. People all over the world hit up Tofino, only place in Canada you can surf. (lol, and if your fast enough, you can snowboard the same day :D) The ol' aboot thing though, thats east coast. In fact that whole goofy Canadian image is very east coast.

Edited by bobsnotmyuncle

Ha, never know unless you ask. All I had to be was on the beach, Canadian and not into disco to get with her. So not much info was exchanged between me and the chick other then fluids... I won't lie, I say 'eh' all the time. People all over the world hit up Tofino, only place in Canada you can surf. (lol, and if your fast enough, you can snowboard the same day :D) The ol' aboot thing though, thats east coast. In fact that whole goofy Canadian image is very east coast.

the only surprising part about her is being "easy".. never knew us NZ chicks are meant to be like that ;) I don't know anyone who likes disco, and most people in NZ loves the beach and surfing, plenty loves the snow too!!! maybe you need to post a notice in NZ ps3 social club and ask :p

yah I know the aboot is mainly Ontario canucks, but I like to generalise everyone else, as much as they love generalising NZers ;) canucks are all like Terrance and Phillip right? floppy heads, beady eyes, and cracking fart jokes all day long? :p

the only surprising part about her is being "easy".. never knew us NZ chicks are meant to be like that ;) I don't know anyone who likes disco, and most people in NZ loves the beach and surfing, plenty loves the snow too!!! maybe you need to post a notice in NZ ps3 social club and ask :p

yah I know the aboot is mainly Ontario canucks, but I like to generalise everyone else, as much as they love generalising NZers ;) canucks are all like Terrance and Phillip right? floppy heads, beady eyes, and cracking fart jokes all day long? :p

Theres a difference between easy and just partying it up on vacation. If I was on her turf I'm sure it would have been a different story :whistle: I was the only punk rocker on a beach full of club douches though and that was all the requirements needed. How much snow do you get? My extent of knowledge of NZ geography is no more then what I saw in Lord of the Rings...

Floppy heads, beady eyes and crappy monty python accents :p

Edited by bobsnotmyuncle

Theres a difference between easy and just partying it up on vacation. If I was on her turf I'm sure it would have been a different story :whistle: I was the only punk rocker on a beach full of club douches though and that was all the requirements needed. How much snow do you get? My extent of knowledge of NZ geography is no more then what I saw in Lord of the Rings...

Floppy heads, beady eyes and crappy monty python accents :p

ahhh okay, it's much clearer now with the context of the situation ;) and I too would be hanging out with the punk rocker, if I was stuck with a bunch of collar-popping clubbing douchbags :p I don't blame her.

NZ winters are nothing for you canucks, with a lowest of around -3C deep in south island, my Ontario friends call it t-shirt winter ;) there's normally no snow anywhere apart from up in the mountains. here's a quick summary of our major skifields. we have nuffin' on Whistler :o but I've been to Banff in summer, and NZ's just as gorgeous :dance:

if ya really love the snow, should come over during your summer, since that's our winter ;) this way, you'll get to ski/board all year round! :p

and ya can't beat the lumberjack song :p especially when performed by real canucks! :D

Thanks for the heads up. I just got Oblivion Walker despite not having done the quest for the Oghma Infinitum yet.

I actually received it by killing the hunters, leaving (activating the dialogue with Hircine), then returning to the cave to kill and skin Sinding (activating the dialogue with the human form of Hircine). Didn't have to back away or do reaction-kills.

we have nuffin' on Whistler :o but I've been to Banff in summer, and NZ's just as gorgeous :dance:

if ya really love the snow, should come over during your summer, since that's our winter ;) this way, you'll get to ski/board all year round! :p

and ya can't beat the lumberjack song :p especially when performed by real canucks! :D

Good ol' womans clothing :p I'm actually just beside Vancouver. Easily the warmest place in Canada (winter anyways... not at all in summer) so our winters sound no worse then your's. If we get minus 3, it was probably due to the wind chill factor...

Put it this way, I've never owned a real jacket

Edited by bobsnotmyuncle