Disappearing Saves

TravM

So i went on today, was planning on completing a few more quests and such, when i looked at my save files and my level 55 with over 100hrs was gone... and before you ask, ill say it now, i didnt have multiple effing saves, and i didnt have any autosaves cuz i was using a different characters before. so before i go and trade this game back in, i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? oh n thanks bethesda you fucking suck, glad i wasted my money and my time on this piece of shit just to have it all disappear into thin air.

Last night I had run out of game save slots for the 2nd time, I have a rotating stock of 132 saves in my system. When I run out of space I usually pick an older file to overwrite and one that does not matter. Also I sometimes double save so there is 2 files in case 1 fails for some reason.

I did however hear that if you start a new game it some how wipes your current progress. Someone here posted that they wanted to show off Skyrim to someone and started a new game and later found their progress file MIA.

That is why I have a 2nd account for testing to keep it isolated from the trophy progress account, as I never know how the game reacts to the NEW GAME option.

Also BACKUP BACKUP your save files

Question time does this game have copy protected save files???

NO, all files can be copied to usb, including the one names settings file

SLOT 1 has a special purpose

Confirmed, New character will overwrite previious save - Bethesda Softworks Forums

They call it cart/wagon save (the first save that happens sometime near the start of the game when you are on the slowest wagon in the history of wagons.

Most likely this happens automatically and there is no way to stop it and if you use only auto save files the previous plays (high level) gets overwritten by the new lvl 1 save.

Last night I had run out of game save slots for the 2nd time, I have a rotating stock of 132 saves in my system. When I run out of space I usually pick an older file to overwrite and one that does not matter. Also I sometimes double save so there is 2 files in case 1 fails for some reason.

I did however hear that if you start a new game it some how wipes your current progress. Someone here posted that they wanted to show off Skyrim to someone and started a new game and later found their progress file MIA.

That is why I have a 2nd account for testing to keep it isolated from the trophy progress account, as I never know how the game reacts to the NEW GAME option.

Also BACKUP BACKUP your save files

This (almost happen to me), my wife decided to start playing skyrim and she got bored around the end of the unbound quest (she's more of a FFXIII kind of gal) and when i went back to my play, all the saves and autosaves were from her play and i only had one autosave left for my playthrough (i was about 20hrs or so) which was about 10 min before my last manual save (PHEW), after that, multiple saves and if she wants to play, she will do so from another profile on the ps3. :whistle:

NO, all files can be copied to usb, including the one names settings file

SLOT 1 has a special purpose

Confirmed, New character will overwrite previious save - Bethesda Softworks Forums

They call it cart/wagon save (the first save that happens sometime near the start of the game when you are on the slowest wagon in the history of wagons.

Most likely this happens automatically and there is no way to stop it and if you use only auto save files the previous plays (high level) gets overwritten by the new lvl 1 save.

That is good to know thank you

PS+ cloud saving and I also manually save at the end of the evening as well. I've got a about 2 dozen Cloud saves right now

that guy in the bethesda forums thread is stupid. All he needed to do is rename the PS3 save folder on this thumbstick with a description of his character....then copy his other character over...a little pain in the butt, but not terrible.

Edited by Rawra
Merging double post.

So nevermind my file DISAPPEARING and everything, lets just focus on making him even more angrier by telling him he shoulda made more save files, thanks guys im so happy :/, if i could tell the future i woulda made more save files, but unfortunately i cant. truth remains that i shouldnt of had to make more then 1 effing save file, and i shouldnt have to worry bout my save file just up and going like this! :(!!!!! 100hrs!!!!!!!!

Edited by TravM

I just did a test today here is what I found

1. Before starting a new game: (I tested this today)

• Make sure you make at least 1 manual save, as the new game will overwrite the 1st game slot when you jump off the cart.
  • This is not an autosave (this one will be labeled Prisoner), there will be an autosave prior to you having full control of character

So nevermind my file DISAPPEARING and everything, lets just focus on making him even more angrier by telling him he shoulda made more save files, thanks guys im so happy :/, if i could tell the future i woulda made more save files, but unfortunately i cant. truth remains that i shouldnt of had to make more then 1 effing save file, and i shouldnt have to worry bout my save file just up and going like this! :(!!!!! 100hrs!!!!!!!!

Blame yourself, not this game developpers.

Your always must have a second or third save file.

But what is your point, this game is great , i can play it over and over again, more than 250 hours i think.

I think his point is that his save disappeared...not that it was overwritten because he started another game...

There are a metric crap ton of confirmed glitches...I've experienced 3. None of them have damaged my pursuit for the plat...but I ain't done yet! The patch can't come soon enough.

Also, let's give the guy a break. How would you react if 100 hours of your gaming went POOF?

Also, let's give the guy a break. How would you react if 100 hours of your gaming went POOF?

Yes, I would now have a locked thread on Bethesda's blog :D

One thing we do not know for sure about the OP

1. Was it due to starting a new game and hence SLOT 1 overwrote (as stated

i was using a different characters before.

2. Slot one save got deleted by a BUG or Glitch

NOTE: autosaves get overwritten in a 1,2,3 cycle (oldest is overwritten)

Blame yourself, not this game developpers.

Your always must have a second or third save file.

But what is your point, this game is great , i can play it over and over again, more than 250 hours i think.

Yes ill blame myself for a bug or glitch that deleted my save file, even if i didnt have a second or third i shouldnt fucking have to have one and im getting really tired of people saying that.

I think his point is that his save disappeared...not that it was overwritten because he started another game...

There are a metric crap ton of confirmed glitches...I've experienced 3. None of them have damaged my pursuit for the plat...but I ain't done yet! The patch can't come soon enough.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, FINALLY SOMEONE THAT LISTENED

Yes, I would now have a locked thread on Bethesda's blog :D

One thing we do not know for sure about the OP

1. Was it due to starting a new game and hence SLOT 1 overwrote (as stated

2. Slot one save got deleted by a BUG or Glitch

NOTE: autosaves get overwritten in a 1,2,3 cycle (oldest is overwritten)

No, i was not starting/making a new character, i already had another character made plus my original, what i am saying is my old save file just went.. POOF lol, and i didnt have autosaves to go back on for that one because i was using a different character before that.

Edited by TravM

No, i was not starting/making a new character, i already had another character made plus my original, what i am saying is my old save file just went.. POOF lol, and i didnt have autosaves to go back on for that one because i was using a different character before that.

Here is how I understand the autosave

1. You only have 3 autosave slots which are shared by all characters, So if you make a new character and only rely on autosaves it will at some point near the start of the new game over write all your saves from the 1st character (ie 100hours play one)

2. If you only use the first save that it creates automatically (SLOT1) this will also be over written when you start a new game (this happens just when you jump off the cart/wagon)

NOTE 3 saves are listed as AUTO when you look at the save files on the system either XMB or inside the game via LOAD command

Also there are about 130 save slots available

There is also a controller file (if you make changes)

There is an Options file (saves your settings like Level and invert and volume etc)

===

I just found a glitch , the game can even cause your XMB audio to get messed up. I recall this from someone. :think:

Power off/on of PS3 fixes.

Well, I actually understand why someone might just have a single save file. But I'd definitely be sweating bullets. By the time I got around 30 hours I'd be making a backup in fear of some kind of in-game consequence being irreparable, but what you descried is way worse than having an entire town hate you for the rest of your character's existence!

Very sorry for your loss--hopefully you keep your head high and jump back in. Maybe with your experience you can do just as much in 1/2 or less the time.

Here is how I understand the autosave

1. You only have 3 autosave slots which are shared by all characters, So if you make a new character and only rely on autosaves it will at some point near the start of the new game over write all your saves from the 1st character (ie 100hours play one)

2. If you only use the first save that it creates automatically (SLOT1) this will also be over written when you start a new game (this happens just when you jump off the cart/wagon)

NOTE 3 saves are listed as AUTO when you look at the save files on the system either XMB or inside the game via LOAD command

Also there are about 130 save slots available

There is also a controller file (if you make changes)

There is an Options file (saves your settings like Level and invert and volume etc)

===

I just found a glitch , the game can even cause your XMB audio to get messed up. I recall this from someone. :think:

Power off/on of PS3 fixes.

Yes, but he's saying that his manual save file disappeared, and he couldn't just go back to the nearest autosave because he'd been playing on a different character.

Yes, but he's saying that his manual save file disappeared, and he couldn't just go back to the nearest autosave because he'd been playing on a different character.

I stand corrected, however no where in the OP was there stated that a manual was made. (must learn to read between the lines)

1. I did however do a test with only the slot 1 save from my 1st character and then I saved my level 31 mage onto that save.

2. I then made sure there was only that save and the autosaves (which I use)

3. Once I got off the wagon/cart it overwrote my level 31

NOTE I had made a backup of it just in case it bugs, not sure why but there have been other reports of saves being wiped

NOTE2: On PC the system actually allows for 100s of saves and before it overwrites it will rename the save to *.bak

Guessing this game might have been better to own as a PC version instead :eek:

Dude... you're playing a Bethesda game with a single savefile. Yeah, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Just like you shouldn't have to worry about locking your house when you go out everyday, but you DO lock your house when you go out and would worry if you forget to lock it. We don't live in a perfect world.

We're not trying to make you angrier, just pointing out the obvious mistake you made. You ignored Bethesda's past record by playing with single save.

Anyone and everyone who has played an RPG [forget just Bethesda] knows you just don't play with single savefile.

Hope you feel better now and have found the prefect game to wipe that bitter taste from your gaming palate.