how to prevent crashes, glitching and framerate lag.

So I've read everywhere that the larger your save file gets the more glitchy the game becomes, what they fail to mention is how you can keep it small. It's quite simple actually, you just have to let the game autosave(by sleeping, resting, going through doors/caves, etc.) and never manually save in the menu (because that's what enlarges the savefile). :whistle:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say it, but I think that you are completely wrong.

There is no difference auto save /manual save.

What makes a difference is actually how much you have played the game, and by that I mean how many quests you have completed.

Think of the save file as a complete list of your accomplishments in the game. It must save every detail of things you have done.

So to keep the filesize small is, don't explore/kill enemies, don't complete quests... But that's a stupid tip because that's the whole point of the game :rolleyes:

Sorry to say it, but I think that you are completely wrong.

There is no difference auto save /manual save.

What makes a difference is actually how much you have played the game, and by that I mean how many quests you have completed.

Think of the save file as a complete list of your accomplishments in the game. It must save every detail of things you have done.

So to keep the filesize small is, don't explore/kill enemies, don't complete quests... But that's a stupid tip because that's the whole point of the game :rolleyes:

Well I'm not 100% sure, but I noticed the savefile growing larger with every manual gamesave. It's just an idea I had because my friend who's just as far as I am and manual saved a lot has a savefile of 9.4MB whereas mine is only 3.2MB and I only msaved once.

Well I'm not 100% sure, but I noticed the savefile growing larger with every manual gamesave. It's just an idea I had because my friend who's just as far as I am and manual saved a lot has a savefile of 9.4MB whereas mine is only 3.2MB and I only msaved once.

So the two of you are the exact same level, have the same skills levels, have done the exact same quests and have interacted with everything in the world the exact same? I'd bet your friend who has the bigger save file has explored more locations, completed more side quests, is higher level etc.

Also if you have like 1,000 items stored in various homes and other places also adds up. I have at least 10 storage places I use for my stuff. I have the Archmage mansion in the castle it has a Safe/Storage chest/3 closets/ and I am using them all mostly and my home I have stuff in about 5 storage chest/cabinets etc. The save file has to keep track of all these items, ok so each might only be 1-2 bytes of info, but in the end it all adds up. It has to store the location of item and how many of that item and what it is. too lazy to try and reverse engineer this game. I was never a game developer :(

If you manual save and wait 15 seconds or less and do another manual save it gets bigger by a bit. I have however seen it drop in size as well, after dropping or making other items changes. Dropped items also need to be tracked. I dropped 2 items in archmage hallway and they are still there.

Well my game is honestly getting unplayable and I am about to sell the game or ask Bethesda for a Steam code. Walking outside is non stop chopping. I never had these issues with Fallout which I plat. 60 bucks all this invested time and I can barely play. Worst game experience of PS3 to date.

Well my game is honestly getting unplayable and I am about to sell the game or ask Bethesda for a Steam code. Walking outside is non stop chopping. I never had these issues with Fallout which I plat. 60 bucks all this invested time and I can barely play. Worst game experience of PS3 to date.

I agree with most of what you said in regards to the game itself. I've put in over 80 hours and it's really becoming unplayable for me. I'll platinum the game once they fix it. If they don't/can't fix it then I'll grind my way to platinum sometime before 2012. I've really enjoyed the game so I can't really have any complaints.

That really sucks. I have maybe about 40 hrs into the game and haven't had any of these issues (knock on wood), but I would be really pissed if I experienced them. I hope there is a patch that fixes it. :(

i've been playing for 115 hours and my save file is about 14mb and aside from a few bugs and glitches here and there i don't really have any problems except the framerate but that solves itself after rebooting the ps3.

After i stopped using the autosave i feel like the game runs much better though.

I had a thought and it seems to help, if you save always a new file, and never over write and older file with new data, the file size seems to stay close to the same. Also I have been moving and selling inventory so it is only in one or 2 places and not in my two locations (Whiterun house and College Mansion).

My thinking here is that when you over write a file it may add extra into and hence it continues to grow in size. At least that is my theory.

I will continue to monitor and report findings.

My gamesave is a 10MB and that's from autosaving, so there goes your theory? :p Like everyone else has said, if you start getting bad lag after playing for a few hours, just restart the game and it's gone.

It was just a thought I had in the last 12 hours of game play. Most likely totally wrong. I have over 100 save files, which I save and purge to USB. So far my save file has remained below 7mb.

If a reboot fixes this lag then it is 99% memory fragmentation, just like ME2.

Don't forget there are only 3 auto save files it must overwrite the oldest or use a pattern similar to Dragon Age 2. Unless it deletes the old file first and then creates the new autosave, only the developers know for sure. Whereas when you manual save a new file every time it does not need to overwrite the other file.

But then what do I know I am not a programmer anymore and never game dev. Most likely the reason my save file shrinks is that I am getting rid of items (in disenchanting them and selling them etc) so can does not need to keep track of them anymore to the best of my understanding.

thing is, every single thing you touch has to be stored to your savefile.

so.....basically dont pick anything up :) and dont go poking stuff and throw them around, leave everything as it was when you first came to the area, dont pick flowers etc.

try not to do to many sidequests, all corpses remains, right? dont loot corpses. all this just adds to the save file.

...but then again, what fun would we have?

Pretty sure the lag is due to a cache on the hard drive, nothing to do with a memory leak, because if there was a leak, it wouldn't resolve from exiting the game, and it would only make sense if you did certain things. However, with the cache memory on the HDD, it basically saves the location of every dead body, every where you've visited, every thing you've bought, sold, stole and so on, that's stuff's not in the save file (except certain dead bodies) and if you reload the game, the people you killed may be gone, but their bodies aren't there anymore, and shops wont have your items anymore, and are most likely restocked (haven't checked that one) but my point is, it has to read this hard drive file everywhere you go, and it's definitely bigger than your save file

Edit: I have a 10MB savefile, and think of it this way, it will have to read your save file approx 5 times to gather all the information needed when going into a town, house, world, whatever, so 50 megs is nothing for a hard drive to read compared to the cache file. And on a side note, if you have a solid state in your PS3 I'm willing to bet money it wont lag, at least not as much

Edited by Log2

I just reboot my ps3 every couple hours and the framerate is bearable. It only starts to happen when I play for extended periods.

My save file is at 10.5 mb.

I am inclined to agree with this since my save file is around the same size as Nova's. I must have collected tons of items and I purchased/renovated several properties plus smithed just about any weapon/armor I can think of. I only experienced the game lagging heavily once or twice pver the weekend; but when I started playing for 2-3 hours tops per day the game hardly slows down.

nothing to do with a memory leak, because if there was a leak, it wouldn't resolve from exiting the game, and it would only make sense if you did certain things.

Maybe we should just leave this to the developers to hopefully resolve. If the update is released next week then I am 150% sure that they already knew the issue was there and already had a patch in the works

This is where your thinking could be wrong. Memory leak as I understand it is this , A program asks for x memory for a task. Once task is over it gives it back to the memory pool. However it does not give it all back. And if you repeat this process you continue to have less and less memory available for the program.

Exiting the game or what some call rebooting the game will totally flush that out of memory and give it all your memory back to the program once you start it up.

Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia there is a very cool example in this wiki article.

However this issue may not be a memory leak at all.

It happens on PS3 and X-Box systems both where the lag becomes an issue.

Also I read someone comment that if you close all the doors after you open them that helps keep the file smaller.

my save was 14mb and it got to where it was unplayable literally could move without lag then i dismissed my companion and play solo now and its gotten so much better dont get me wrong i still suffer from some lag but not nearly as much so maybe it will work for some1 else