Skyrim General Questions Thread

I figured that Skyrim is a game where people are going to have a lot of questions. So, instead of making a crapton of new threads with each question that may have already been answered, we can post our questions here and receive a collective response.

Basically, my question is this: I keep running around Whiterun and each time I pass someone, 9/10 they tell me I look sick, or don't look too well. Now I figure that's the game's way of telling me that I have a sickness or something.

So how do I find out, and where do I cure myself?

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure where to find out myself, because I've honestly not tried to look, but I think if you pray at an alter (there's a Talos shrine in Whiterun near the steps leading to Dragonsreach) you will receive blessings as well as have all diseases cured.

Yes. "Praying" at an alter will cure all diseases. I recall it's one of the tips the game gives you on loading screens.

Awesome. I didn't want to make an entire thread devoted to my small, lowly question:

Is it possible to discover/find/loot the [maybe?] dead dragon buried under Whiterun?

I forget the name of the dragon, but I remember being told it had been killed by [i think] Olaf One-Eye or something like that, and then Dragonsreach was built on top of it. I was curious because as soon as I heard that there was a dragon buried underneath the castle, my first thought was it was [somehow] still alive and I could kill it, even if it is most likely horrendously difficult.

EDIT :: And to answer your question, Warden, to cure yourself you can pray at an altar or take a Potion of Cure Disease. They're a lot more rare this game, I've only found 3 and I'm level 20+. As for finding out if you have a disease, go to your magic menu, scroll to the bottom for magical effects. If something is in red, investigate. It's name in the menu will be the effect it's giving you. If you highlight it, it will then tell you what is effecting you and to what magnitude.

Edited by lucifermoloch

thought I saw someone asking this question in this subform, but can't find the question/answer at all...

noticed some items in the inventory have a hollow triangle to the right of the item name, what does that mean?

As far as I can tell, the triangle shows what item has the best damage/armour rating. So if you're going through a huge list, it's a little easier to spot which item is the 'best'. I think anyway.

thought I saw someone asking this question in this subform, but can't find the question/answer at all...

noticed some items in the inventory have a hollow triangle to the right of the item name, what does that mean?

Try pressing triangle and see if it gets unfavorited. But it can also mean that the item is better then what you have currently equipped. One of those at least :p

Try pressing triangle and see if it gets unfavorited. But it can also mean that the item is better then what you have currently equipped. One of those at least :p

nope, nothing to do with favourites, or being better/worse.

for example, when I look at what Lydia's carrying, these have the hollow triangles next to them:

- an axe that does more damage than mine

- a helm that offers armor than mine

I also see a hollow triangle on ONE type of arrows, out of like 6 I'm carrying.

before you say the hollow triangle indicates "best of the item type". I only have 2 swords on me, neither has that symbol to them. whereas the only bow I have, got the symbol.

don't think hollow arrow indicates stolen goods either.

can't think of anything else to determine what that hollow triangle means.

edit: favourited items has a solid triangle on the left side of the item name, pointed towards the item. the triangle I'm asking about, is hollow, on the right side of the item name, and oriented upright.

Edited by CatNZ

@CatNZ, this one is a mystery to me too. For some (if not most) items it appears to represent the item with the highest damage/armour rating but for others it is non-apparant or not present whatsoever.

In the scheme of things, I guess it doesn't really matter as I am going to equip what I want to anyway but there must be some logic to this mysterious triangle! Maybe it is as simple as it shows the highest damage/armour rating but isn't always 100% accurate (hence the times when it isn't present at all).

@CatNZ, this one is a mystery to me too. For some (if not most) items it appears to represent the item with the highest damage/armour rating but for others it is non-apparant or not present whatsoever.

In the scheme of things, I guess it doesn't really matter as I am going to equip what I want to anyway but there must be some logic to this mysterious triangle! Maybe it is as simple as it shows the highest damage/armour rating but isn't always 100% accurate (hence the times when it isn't present at all).

I've been ignoring those triangles, trying not to think too much into them. they just don't make any sense to me at all.

it would be rather complicated to have an indicator to show best armor & weapon. sometimes I switch armor pieces depending on situation, and being a sneak I get armor factor bonus while wearing light armor, or even more complicated, armor bonus when wearing a matching set!

it would be awesome if someone can resolve this mystery. perhaps the official guide may tell us something? :p

Well a friend of mine brought the game to my place yesterday and the hollow triangle clearly indicate best Damage / Armor Rating.

Normally you will have one for every armor piece (Helm - Feet - Hand - Chest) (and most of the time it will probly be Heavy Armor lol). Also one for Shield.

You will have top Bow top Arrow top Handed Weapon (not top Axe top Mace top Sword just top Handed weapon not 100% sure if there is one for One Handed and one for Two Handed or just one overall). This is clearly what I did saw while playing and it is just so in your face that it can't be anything else than that it is showing best Damage/Armor (it doesn't count Magic effect (for exemple a 20 damage sword with 10 Magic Damage and a 22 Damage Axe the Axe would get the triangle)) so it isn't actually super efficient.

The official guide states that the hollow triangle indicates that the item it's next to is an upgrade over the item you currently have equipped. Not nessesarily the best item in your inventory just better than what you currently have in hand or are wearing. Hope that helps.

Edit: Kralw is correct it does not take into account magical properties.

Also it will not show you your best sword for example, it will however show you your highest base damage(enchantement damage not included) one-handed weapon, highest base damage two-handed weapon, highest damage bow etc. The same distinction does not seem to hold for armour as it seems to me it just shows you the armour with the highest rating be that armour heavy or light.

Edited by megalomaniac1

The little triangle next to equipment is explained in one of the loading screens (it was bugging me too) and it's something to do with the equipment being more suited to your character than what you're currently using. I guess it must check what stats/perks/skills you have?

Only caught a glimpse of the explanation so I might be wrong.