Beatlemania Strategy

Might be a stupid question but when do you guys think is a better time to kick it off it you failed a note?

- Right away to get it back in the multiplier or wait until your multiplier is back to max and double it?

I always assumed to work the way back up before kicking it off, but I'm starting to think all the notes hit with no multiplier at all is more hurtful long term.

• 1 month later...

This is my understanding of it. Not 100% sure I am right… but I think I am.

To try and explain I am using the theory that you only play 1 instant notes (as opposed to holding onto the note) and that you play 10 notes to go up from x1 to x2 to x3 to x4. Also, I am using the value of each correctly struck note as 100 points!

This means, if you are playing any song normally over the course of 40 notes (without using beatlemania/star power) at any point you will earn this many points:

10 x 100 = 1000

10 x 200 = 2000 (200 being 100 points for the note x2)

10 x 300 = 3000 (300 being 100 points for the note x3)

10 x 400 = 4000 (… you get the idea!)

This comes to a total of 10,000 scored over 40 notes.

If you then hit another 40 notes perfectly, without star power, you will have for that section:

40 x 400 = 16,000

Over the whole 80 notes (all hit perfectly, no star power) you will have:

10,000 + 16,000 = 26,000

<stick with me here!>

Now then, if you deploy star power immediately after a missed note, the top set of figures will all be doubled:

10 x 200 = 2000 (200 being 100 points for the note with x2 under star power)

10 x 400 = 4000 (400 being 100 points for the note with x 4 under star power)

10 x 600 = 6000 (600 being 100 points for the note with x6 under star power)

10 x 800 = 8000 ( … hopefully you get the idea!)

This comes to 20,000 points scored over 40 notes all under star power

If you then lose star power and hit 40 more perfect notes you will get:

40 x 400 = 16,000

Add to your 20,000

= 36,000

If you did it the other way and built up your multiplier and then deployed star power you will get:

10,000 for you first 40 notes (see first set of figures)

Then

40 x 800 (800 being 100 points for the note with x8 star power)

= 32,000

Add this to your 10,000

= 42,000

....more points!

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on how much of the song is left. If you have Beatlemania available, and the song is ending in 10 seconds, then obviously it's better to deploy it pretty soon.

The simple maths is this, and it's based on 25 points per note hit (which is the real value), and hitting 100 notes (not unrealistic if playing on Expert, and deploying only a full bar of Beatlemania).

DEPLOY STRAIGHT AWAY

25×10 notes×2 = 500

25×10 notes×4 = 1,000

25×10 notes×6 = 1,500

25×10 notes×8 = 2,000

6 sets of 10 notes×25×8 = 12,000

TOTAL: 17,000

DEPLOY ONLY WHEN AT 4× MULTIPLIER

10 sets of 10 notes×25×8 = 20,000

TOTAL: 20,000

So for a 100-note streak, deploying it just after you break the combo will lose you about 3,000 points. Basically, where possible, only ever deploy Beatlemania (or Overdrive/Star Power) when you already have a 4× multiplier. To put it another way, by deploying it after breaking your combo, you're missing out on 8× multipliers!

The only time you should readily deploy Beatlemania when you've broken your combo is when you're playing in a band, and the whole band (minus you) have all deployed Beatlemania already. The reason is simply that they might all be on 4× multipliers (or 6× for bass), and it's a good idea to give them all an 8× band multiplier, so in effect the bass would have a 48× multiplier, and the other two would have 32× multipliers. You'd also give yourself an immediate 8× multiplier since you'd be on a 1× multiplier after breaking a combo. That's why playing a full band helps massively!

• 1 year later...

It's also good to realize the note density coming up. If you missed a note, but you know a part with many fast notes is coming up, it might be better to use beatlemanis immediately and get 80 notes with it activated than after that big burst of notes where you might only have 5-6 notes during your activation. I haven't done the math on it to be sure, but it seems common sense that there would be a big difference in points that way.

• 4 weeks later...
It's also good to realize the note density coming up. If you missed a note, but you know a part with many fast notes is coming up, it might be better to use beatlemanis immediately and get 80 notes with it activated than after that big burst of notes where you might only have 5-6 notes during your activation. I haven't done the math on it to be sure, but it seems common sense that there would be a big difference in points that way.

I'm not sure it would generally be better to deploy if a dense note streak is coming up. The thing is you'd still have to hit 30 notes to reach an 8x multiplier. In that time, you also have to make sure you don't miss any notes.

Don't forget, if you deploy overdrive for an 8x, you're getting 200 points per note. So 10 notes gives you 2,000 points.

If you deploy overdrive when you've just broken your combo:

Hitting 10 notes gives you 2 x 25 points x 10 = 500 points

Hitting next 10 notes gives you 4 x 25 points x 10 = 1,000 points

So already, you've hit 20 notes and you still have fewer points than if you deployed when already at a 4x standard multiplier.

If a note-dense (and difficult) passage is coming up, I generally DON'T use overdrive if I honestly feel I'll break my combo. I'll just end up playing all notes with a meagre 2x multipler.

But if I play a slower passage with maybe only 30% of the notes, I can hit each one at 8x... which would still give me more points. I've gotten 5 stars in songs where I kept the 4x (or 8x) multiplier going as long as possible in the "easy" parts; and then I push my luck to get through the "impossible" (but short) parts without overdrive. There really is no point in a 2x multiplier for a dense section where you'll miss maybe 25% of the notes anyway AND break your combo repeatedly.